Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2007, 12:26   #16

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Actually the part that bothered me about your post was the desire to escape the stress of home/ work by heading South.

Why would you think that undertaking such a voyage would have No, or even less Stress?? I would think that few things at home or work could cost you your life or significant injuries or financial impact as a moderate misstep in sailing could.

If your intent is to escape "Responsibility"... your making a very dramatic mistake and one that could cost your dearly in ways you probably have not considered.

You appear to probably have the basic skills for a sailing adventure but from your post I'm not sure about the maturity factor... escaping hopefully is only a mental concept and not that you have the impression that sailing away does allow you to escape from all responsibility and risks. But... you may need to do a self check of your motives and what escape actually means to you... if it is responsibility.. sailing will not give you that escape.
Old 29-10-2007, 14:13   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Actually the part that bothered me about your post was the desire to escape the stress of home/ work by heading South.
Why would you think that undertaking such a voyage would have No, or even less Stress?? I would think that few things at home or work could cost you your life or significant injuries or financial impact as a moderate misstep in sailing could.
If your intent is to escape "Responsibility"... your making a very dramatic mistake and one that could cost your dearly in ways you probably have not considered.
You appear to probably have the basic skills for a sailing adventure but from your post I'm not sure about the maturity factor... escaping hopefully is only a mental concept and not that you have the impression that sailing away does allow you to escape from all responsibility and risks. But... you may need to do a self check of your motives and what escape actually means to you... if it is responsibility.. sailing will not give you that escape.
Responsibility is not particularly stressful on it’s own.
It’s Responsibility, without Authority (helplessness) that has long been identified as the leading cause of stress (actually, “distress”).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 14:36   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
The three things one really needs to escape are stress, noise and pollution. Only at sea in good weather can you minimise all three--so the longer you can afford to stay out there the better you might feel.

Of course for some we can not stay out there for too long--and occasionally I do have a strong desire to come ashore for a while to renew acquaintances and visit family. Once I have done so though I can not wait to get back to sea.

My ideal would be spending some summer time in the forested hills and winters spent in the warm seas of the tropical oceans--

I do not need much money--but some would be nice. Just enough for fuel and maintenance, with a little left over for food. In particular some quality cheese and a little vin rouge once in a while.

One does need some barterable skills--and so the stresses of a working life ashore return from time to time--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 14:44   #19

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Responsibility is not particularly stressful on it’s own.
It’s Responsibility, without Authority (helplessness) that has long been identified as the leading cause of stress (actually, “distress”).

Problem is, that is the historical cop out for not taking responsibility...
No one ever feels they have total Authority over most parts of their lives, particularly where others are involved... and the lack of formal authority and getting the job done is the primary sign of a successful person and more often a successful person at peace with oneself...
Old 29-10-2007, 15:51   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Problem is, that is the historical cop out for not taking responsibility...
No one ever feels they have total Authority over most parts of their lives, ...
A cruiser has total authority*, and absolute responsibility over/for his/her life; although not total control. This is part of the allure of "escaping" to sea.
* Within the normal constraints of civilization.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 16:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A cruiser has total authority*, and absolute responsibility over/for his/her life; although not total control. This is part of the allure of "escaping" to sea.
* Within the normal constraints of civilization.
When you have constraints of any kind... your authority is not absolute.. by definition
Old 29-10-2007, 16:43   #22
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
I would first recommend that you read "Wonderer" by Sterling Hayden...then, unless you are gifted with Hayden's looks, I'd recommend getting a degree or 100 ton license.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 16:49   #23

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Angry

alright... enough has got to be enough.
the MAN wants to escape on a journey. he WILL do it regardless of what anybody says. i did. and i'm still alive. i can think of much more dangerous activities to partake in than sailing and living aboard. try chasing down Taliban guerillas or pulling off a 27,000ft nighttime insertion by parachute. chances are, when things don't look right, he'll stay at anchor with a can of beens and a hot beer. oooh, now that's risky. lots of air freshener. make sure you have your $150 respirator and an emergency oxygen supply on hand.
it seems we have spent more time discouraging new guys to the forum who display the courage and heart necessary to make it happen, than actively helping them in any way we can. seems we don't want anyone else to experience the triumphs of overcoming nature and the elements as we once did... the thrill of being scared at the thought of not knowing what lies ahead, and the nervous and exciting anticipation of what it just may be. i think some forget that their's was also a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
regardless of what amount of SOCIETAL responsibility he wants to take, it is his choice, and his alone.
i say, "ALL THE WAY!" go for it, dude. and if you have any questions about doing it the hard way because you don't have $100,000 to invest in a cruise, you can send me personal messages. i will be glad to help in any way i can. i have an Olympic 23 that i may want to sell cheap in February or so, whenever i get back to mainland Florida.

keep the dream, and study up...
Old 29-10-2007, 17:04   #24
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Wisdom is always late.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:04   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We forget what young is. In a different vein I took off backpacking with $50 bucks in my pocket and did odd jobs. Used to drive into the wild Baja Peninsula in a '59 VW bus and no clue.

You run out of money, you "phone a friend" and activate teh escape plan.

The sea can be unkindly but seeing as the begining of the journey will likely be a lot of coastal cruising I say go for it and see what happens.

Besides being wasted on the young, youth is all about discovery and making mistakes.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:25   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearphish View Post
Seems we don't want anyone else to experience the triumphs of overcoming nature and the elements as we once did.
If sailing/cruising is, to you, a "triumph" based on "overcoming nature and the elements," bearphish, you have my sympathy. In my view, the joy of sailing and cruising is all about gaining an understanding of, and co-operating with, nature and the elements. If it is, in fact, a "triumph," it can only be a triumph over oneself.

TaoJones
Old 29-10-2007, 17:42   #27

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Guys, this poor kid has probably forgotten he even posted here. He's 22, there's probably something else he found to do. I have started a thread (My first!) about the subject of what it is we might owe to new sailors starting out cruising. I'd be interstested in what many of you remember about when you were first getting started, and who inpired you. Or didn't. And Russ if you're out there and you are still thinking about the sailing life, let us know how it's going.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:50   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
Quote:
I agree with you. but when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter. why do people go to college? to get a degree and ultimately -- make a lot of money... but obviously people get more than just that from schooling.

I realize I am only 23 and my advice is worth about 2 cents to someone who is 22.

Live life to the fullest because you wont be remembered for what you didn’t do
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 20:51   #29
Kai Nui

If I were 22 again, with no money, no responsibilities, and no plans, I would get on the first boat that looked right to me. I would sail it as much as I could, and live however I could. With that, I would learn what I know now, and the decision would be an easy one. For someone looking for a turn key, go and do it but maintain the comfort level life, this would not make sense, but when I was 22, it would have made perfect sense. Experience is always the best teacher, but often, she charges a high price. If you choose to let that cost scare you, you will never have the benefit of experience.
Bottom line is, go for it. Do not gamble what you can not afford to lose, but put the rest on the table.
Old 29-10-2007, 20:56   #30

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
nao, nao there tao,

lest i need to explain my words here...

the triumph comes when at first you leave the dock and realize you have severed the line that kept you feeling down all along, and you have beaten the fear of the depths and ocean forces by navigating YOUR OWN craft wherever you wish. (within reason, of course) i'm not saying i feel like Alexander the Great when i trim 'em up and and go into a Capt. Morgan pose. i went through those feelings at first, and i have finally found that i had been living life for the wrong reasons. sometimes it takes just doing it to make one come to life conclusions.
you can't tell me you were stoic and emotionally limp when you first pulled out of wherever you were leaving.
this man wants to leave school for a while to do this, it may take only a few moments on the water in solitude to get what he needs from it.
tao, i don't need sympathy... i need a good lookin' woman with a bigger boat than mine!