Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 05:40   #1

Hello y'all.

I found this board a few days ago and have been going thur most every thread gleaming good bits of info. My wife and I, and our 9 yr old daughter live in St. Augustine and have a goal of taking off for liveaboard cruisng mid '07.

We have sailed a good bit on monohulls, but I'm now leaning towards cats due to extra space/roominess, but I have yet to sail one.

In order for us to cast off the shorelines for good, we will have to sell our house(which has appreciated more than we can imagine). We're thinking off buying a small piece of land before we leave, so we have something to fall back on should the need arise.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions for y'all, and am looking forward to get to know you. If any of y'all cruise thru the St. Augustine area and would like a roof over your head or a home cooked meal, pls let me know.
Mark
vilanomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:04   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome!

Ask away, I've always found this to be a knowledgeable group.

If it were possible to figure out the number of years experience represented here it would be amazing.

A question for you.

Why sell your asset that has done so well for you? Is there away to continue to benefit from the FL land boom with the piece of land your looking at?

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I've heard expert opinion that the Florida Land Boom, Ft. Lauderdale in particular, has peaked, and that the next few years may not prove so lucrative.
This from a developer & property manager, with properties in Ft. Lauderdale, North Miami, and Stewart (all East Coast, Fl.), who is selling out and moving his money to Guatemala and/or Panama.
FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53   #4

Jemsea, if at all possible I would like to keep the house, but quite honestly the money we need for cruising is in the house. We're not touching our retirement $, which is doing well. If we could rent it, the payment probably wouldn't cover the mortgage, much less provide $ for our cruising kitty.

When we sell the house we are looking at buying land that will appreciate over the future just incase we need to come home. It's waterfront, so I'm sure it will continue to rise in value.
vilanomark is offline   Reply With Quote