Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19   #1

Hello there

Hello,

I'm a new member of the board as I begin researching for a lifelong dream of mine: sailing around the world! I'm 35 and grew up landlocked in Oklahoma but for the last 10 years I've been in the Houston area. My dream is for the wife and I to sail around the world once the kids are all grown up. I figure if we start planing now we might just pull it off. Of course, I really don't have any practical sailing experience but that's also about to change. I plan to begin taking the ASA courses soon and we'll be joining my brother on a bareboat trip to the BVI next year. Any recommendations for a good first sailboat to use in the Galveston Bay and Gulf area would be very much appreciated. I'm not even sure what I'm after except that I'd like to have something with a cabin since we're a family of 5 and we'll all want to be able to get out of the sun at times. Oh, I should add that while we plan to sail a mono for now, the around the world dream would be on a catamaran. I hope it's not unrealistic to learn and sail for years on a mono and then expect to change to a multi. Any good links or magaizines that you could recommend would also be appreciated! Thanks!

Happy Sailing,
Matt
fombyjambox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard Matt! It sounds like you have a good start on the dream.

I wouldn't rush to buy a boat just yet. You might find a sailing club or rental operator first and they may have a selection.

For a family of 5 daysailing and weekenders the 24-30 foot Catalinas and Hunters are ever popular and reasonably priced.

Good luck on the sailing courses!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 22:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Matt,
Welcome aboard! I agree that 24-30 is a good size and that you would learn a lot by joining a club or getting some experience by signing on as crew with whoever will take you.
Experience as many different kinds of boats as you can without buying one and you'll then be able to choose what will suit you best.
Good to have you here.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:23   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. Your plan sounds good. Go for it.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fombyjambox View Post
Oh, I should add that while we plan to sail a mono for now, the around the world dream would be on a catamaran. I hope it's not unrealistic to learn and sail for years on a mono and then expect to change to a multi.
Sailing skill is sailing skill, obviously there are some differences in multis liking bearing away when hit with a gust, reefing early etc, but basic sailing skill, sail shape etc is the same, some of the best helmsmen I have had on my tri are long time dinghy sailors. So no - not unrealistic at all, when you do go to a multi Gavin le Sueres book, Multihull Seamanship is a very good read.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote