Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2023, 13:36   #1

Hello sailor's

Brand-new here and eager to absorb information. Here is my plan. Sell everything in spring 2024 and move into a sailboat for 6 month or longer to live and sail and work on the internet. I look for a boat and don't need a racer. Thought of a full keel and single sail in the Meditarian 33 ft. long min 36 ft. max. What used boat would you recommend to look for?
Need one with small capsize factor and great beam for place. Budget is $ 20K min to 35 k is max with all the gadgets for ais etc. Where to look for that used boat? Norway, Sweden, UK has some great prices but sailing Biscay down to Greek islands is one thing.
Alternative is FL and Caribbean and over winter Grenada but staying in FL you may need every year a new boat 😠 Hurricane aso.

What would you recommend? Nothing holds me back. Divorced and free and it will be for 5 years max, a new lifestyle.

Thank you
Ben
Sonar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 13:39   #2

Re: Hello sailor's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar1 View Post
Brand-new here and eager to absorb information. Here is my plan. Sell everything in spring 2024 and move into a sailboat for 6 month or longer to live and sail and work on the internet. I look for a boat and don't need a racer. Thought of a full keel and single sail in the Meditarian 33 ft. long min 36 ft. max. What used boat would you recommend to look for?
Need one with small capsize factor and great beam for place. Budget is $ 20K min to 35 k is max with all the gadgets for ais etc. Where to look for that used boat? Norway, Sweden, UK has some great prices but sailing Biscay down to Greek islands is one thing.
Alternative is FL and Caribbean and over winter Grenada but staying in FL you may need every year a new boat 😠 Hurricane aso.

What would you recommend? Nothing holds me back. Divorced and free and it will be for 5 years max, a new lifestyle.

Thank you
Ben
Forgot Croatia is also a good place to buy sailboats. Any hint will help.
Sonar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 18:54   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum...Maybe post your request under the category of Monohulls.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 19:21   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Ben! Given what you have described I'd say you'll need to start doing some sailing before shopping for a boat. As you gain experience, your preference in boats will most likely change. The only boat I can think of that matches your description is a Nonsuch 36 but I doubt you'll find a good one in your price range.
https://goodoldboat.com/nonsuch-36/

A Freedom 33 comes to mind, but it has 2 unstayed masts (I am guessing you are trying to avoid a jib?) The Freedom 33 with the fixed keel is superior to the models with the centerboard. Again a good one will likely be out of your price range.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freedom-33

In any case I think you will fare better in your search if you get comfortable with a jib.

But first of all get out sailing, in lessons or on other people's boats.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:56   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 06:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello sailor's

A single sail boat just inside your price with a little haggle as the are very much a niche market..
https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/p...or-sale/715681

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 11:12   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A single sail boat just inside your price with a little haggle as the are very much a niche market..
https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/p...or-sale/715681
Well now, that there is an unusual modification. Ya don't see that everyday! I'd sure like to see the engineering on that unstayed mast. It sure is clean, worth a look I'd say!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail