Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 18:21   #76

Boat: Islander 36
Originally Posted by beau

"motor boats are usually going somewhere, Sailing boats are for the fun of Sailing"
__________________________________________________ __

"i think you might get some argument here on that one "
__________________________________________________ __

Smilely face noted. But a lot of truth there.

I can't help but notice that sometimes it's the attraction of the roar of an engine. That includes me. As least as fas as my ground transportation is concerned. On of my cars has rumbly pipes (MG Midget with Nissan engine conversion). I do love the tone of the exhaust, espically when I go under an overpass. Some people love that sound on the water. Sailors don't love it so much there. I do love the sound of NO engine every chance I get.

But I'm really not talking about sound/noise at all, so let's not go there.
I'm talking about likes and dislikes.

So it's the ATTRACTION to the fun of sailing for me. Not that I actually get to do without my noisey iron spinaker. There's also the (illusion of) independence and self reliance that some people seek to achieve in a sailboat.
Old 29-07-2010, 18:29   #77

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Miles per gallon doesn't really work for boats. Gallons per hour is a more reliable way to figure things.
Keep in mind that the boat's top speed is around 9 kts under motor and 9.5 kts under sail, so when I'm in the 8 kt range I'm not going full out. That extra knot could easily double my consumption rate.

Admittedly, getting 8 kts at a rate of .75 GPH is going to require flat seas and a squeeky clean bottom. Throw in some chop, or a headwind, or a barnacle on the prop and I'll could be down to 7 kts easily at that burn rate.
Sorry charlie gallons per Hr means nothing compared to fuel use as compared to a distance. Its how far you go for the energy expended. I still would like to know what kind of boat Wl lenght beam wt motor you know those physical factors which operate within the laws of the universe. Your stated fuel consumption is extraordinary and I would like to understand how you get it. A general rule of thumb is that deisel motors burn one gallon of fuel for every 18-20 Hp produced. So your boat is doing 8k on about 15HP is it an inflatable or what?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 20:59   #78

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. A few months ago I was sitting on a beach on an island in Baja counting the number of sailboats motoring by on what would have been a beam reach in 15 knots of wind. Unbelievable!

On the other hand, when I'm huddled in my foulies behind the dodger I'm connecting with nature in a way you'll never experience motoring indoors, so to speak. Out there in the cockpit I'm part of it, not separated from it. That's actually one of the things I love about sailing. Sure it gets old after a few days, even with modern foulies. But those times are a big part of what makes the journey memorable.
You evoke the thrill of sailing really well Bash. There are times when I miss all that connectedness. On the other hand I don't miss living on a 10 to 15 degree angled deck for days at a time. Except when we went ashore, we cruised Greenland in slippers or bare feet. I don't miss living in a tunnel, I don't miss not having enough storage space. Stabilizers were designed for old women like me I do miss the sort of fuel economy you get If I get 5.5 gallons (US) an hour giving me around 8 knots, I'm a happy bunny. Horses for courses and all that, in the end it's what you want and need at a particular time in your life.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 21:25   #79

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
On the other hand, when I'm huddled in my foulies behind the dodger I'm connecting with nature in a way you'll never experience motoring indoors, so to speak. Out there in the cockpit I'm part of it, not separated from it. That's actually one of the things I love about sailing. Sure it gets old after a few days, even with modern foulies. But those times are a big part of what makes the journey memorable.
I'm hoping for the best of both worlds

On the nice day's I'll be sitting in the shaded but open flybridge , with the warm breeze and view of the dolphins dancing in my bow wave, cool bevvie in hand, hardly hearing the sound of the slow spinning diesels down in their insulated box.

And even on a rainy day I can still be in the same spot with my wet weather gear on, just like I did when I sailed, if I feel the need for a bit of rain splashing my face

But on those cold miserable rainy nights when on passage I will be grateful to be inside looking out, cabin bathed by the light from the radar showing approaching rain squalls , boat shaped icon progressing slowly across the plotter screen.
No wet berths, no putting on wet-wet weather gear for the next watch, no water tracked inside, aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh luxury
Old 29-07-2010, 22:32   #80

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

On the nice day's I'll be sitting in the shaded but open flybridge , with the warm breeze and view of the dolphins dancing in my bow wave, cool bevvie in hand, hardly hearing the sound of the slow spinning diesels down in their insulated box.

And even on a rainy day I can still be in the same spot with my wet weather gear on, just like I did when I sailed, if I feel the need for a bit of rain splashing my face.. Snip..
I don't have a fly bridge and to be honest I've never missed it but.. put your way, perhaps I might have enjoyed one.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 00:11   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Sorry charlie gallons per Hr means nothing compared to fuel use as compared to a distance. Its how far you go for the energy expended. I still would like to know what kind of boat Wl lenght beam wt motor you know those physical factors which operate within the laws of the universe. Your stated fuel consumption is extraordinary and I would like to understand how you get it. A general rule of thumb is that deisel motors burn one gallon of fuel for every 18-20 Hp produced. So your boat is doing 8k on about 15HP is it an inflatable or what?
I can't speak for Bash, but those numbers are not out of the realm of possibility. We consume quite a bit more fuel than that, probably six or seven liters per hour at our economical cruising speed of 7.5 knots, but we are 22 tons light ship displacement. Bash is quite a bit smaller, and sailboat hulls are usually much more efficient than power boat hulls.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 04:56   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
On the nice day's I'll be sitting in the shaded but open flybridge ...
... But on those cold miserable rainy nights when on passage I will be grateful to be inside looking out ...
Makes total sense, to me!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote