Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 17:31   #1

Boat: Looking for a boat
pirate Hello - Looking for first sailboat!

Hi,

Having read about sailing a great deal, and having recently re-read Slocum, I have decided that this is the year to do it!

I want to find a boat to liveaboard (I can work remotely M-F) in the 25 to 34' range, and, become a sailor on the weekends. The Ingrid 38 is very appealing but perhaps is a bit too much boat for an amateur like me

Currently am considering OR/WA area but could be persuaded to look elsewhere (work in the middle of the USA at this moment).

Have already enjoyed a great many threads on this forum, all comments and recommendations appreciated!
MrImprovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:00   #2

Re: Hello - Looking for first sailboat!

You're right. A 38' boat would be too much 25' probably too small (generally a 25' at best has a portapotty and no standing headroom - for a liveaboard, you'd want a plumbed-in head with a holding tank and standing room)

30-34 is probably your sweet spot...

This will give you an idea:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...er-34-3203451/

Good luck!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MrImprovement.

These are Canadian boats, but they’ll give you an idea what’s available, and their corresponding accommodations, in the smaller size ranges.
24' to 27' LOAhttp://sailquest.com/market/models/models2.htm
30' to 40' ➥ http://sailquest.com/market/models/models4.htm

Maggie & I cruised (3 week trips) a Mirage 26, on Lake Superior:
http://sailquest.com/market/models/mirage26.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:19   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Sorry to complicate things but if you live in the middle of the country now and have no strong tie to any coastal location you have two big choices to make and picking a boat probably should be the second of the two. First you should decide where you want to be. If you plan to live on a boat and occasionally take it out for some local sailing then think about what type of community and climate you want to be in. If you envision more of a mobile lifestyle moving about from place to place as mood strikes you then think about the body of water you want start in. The PNW, CA, New England, Chesapeake, SE US, etc. all are different experiences. Don't get hung up of the idea of living on a boat without thinking about where the boat will be.

It makes no sense to buy a modest boat on the opposite coast from where you want to be. Even the cost to have a delivery crew move the boat to where you want it may be unpalatable if it is a long way from where you want it.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:14   #5

Boat: Looking for a boat

LittleWing - thank you for the link; at 5'7 it is easier for me to find standing headroom boats

GordMay - those are about what I am looking for, yes

DougWeibel - it's a very valid point that you make. I like the West for its openness and spaciousness; however I should do a quick survey to determine the right location that suits; which will in turn determine the area I will search to buy a boat.
MrImprovement is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat