Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 19:15   #1

Hello I'm new here!

Hi! I joined this to learn more about sailing. I have always been interested in sailing, sailboats, boats, maritime history, pirates, marine biology, ocean, maritime lore like mermaids, Neptune, etc.
I have been watching SV Delos on YouTube and other sailors. It makes me want to learn how to sail. So I joined this to learn more about sailing.
Salty sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 20:22   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Hello I'm new here!

Welcome aboard. Lots of good information here on hundreds of boat related subjects. It is a great resource, and I am going to be using it a great deal as I refit my catamaran.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 20:32   #3

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Yes, welcome indeed! There are a TON of experienced sailors here, some really nice folks, many newer folks, and a few carmudgeons but in the end, the community is very helpful in my experience, they don't yell at us noobies! They do laugh on occasion, and seem to mean it in good fun. Mostly, they offer advice and give us a means to learn some of the more obscure things that they learned in their own misfortunes that will help us learn from another's mistakes.

I have several threads running currently, and am in the process of refitting a 1978 Hunter 27 from a formerly semi-stripped hull to (hopefully) a coastal cruiser that I can use to learn sailing and take along the US coastal areas, the ICW, and perhaps the Bahamas, as well as gain experience to get a larger vessel (which will likely need refit as well, as I am on a budget) to take across the Atlantic to take my wife to visit the nicer places I visited while in the US Navy. She is dying to head to Italy (she spent time there as a child), Germany (she was born there), and the British Isles and nearby locales (most especially Scotland, and the cities of Portsmouth and Bath).

It is great to see you here, and please post often! Check out the search feature of the threads too, because often you will see things you wanted to know have already been covered in depth, complete with photos and details that will save you having to wait for someone knowledgeable about your situation to reply. I use the feature a bit, and it has saved me some headaches, but it also gives me new leads of things to learn, and is a great source of entertainment at times too.

SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 20:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
Yes, welcome indeed! There are a TON of experienced sailors here, some really nice folks, many newer folks, and a few carmudgeons but in the end, the community is very helpful in my experience, they don't yell at us noobies! They do laugh on occasion, and seem to mean it in good fun. Mostly, they offer advice and give us a means to learn some of the more obscure things that they learned in their own misfortunes that will help us learn from another's mistakes.

I have several threads running currently, and am in the process of refitting a 1978 Hunter 27 from a formerly semi-stripped hull to (hopefully) a coastal cruiser that I can use to learn sailing and take along the US coastal areas, the ICW, and perhaps the Bahamas, as well as gain experience to get a larger vessel (which will likely need refit as well, as I am on a budget) to take across the Atlantic to take my wife to visit the nicer places I visited while in the US Navy. She is dying to head to Italy (she spent time there as a child), Germany (she was born there), and the British Isles and nearby locales (most especially Scotland, and the cities of Portsmouth and Bath).

It is great to see you here, and please post often! Check out the search feature of the threads too, because often you will see things you wanted to know have already been covered in depth, complete with photos and details that will save you having to wait for someone knowledgeable about your situation to reply. I use the feature a bit, and it has saved me some headaches, but it also gives me new leads of things to learn, and is a great source of entertainment at times too.

Thanks for the advice. I think this will be a great website for sailing info. I have learned a lit from surfing the web, YouTube, Pinterest. I use to be on a marine biology forum I have learned so much on the marine life and oceans, but it closed when social media got big.
Salty sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:02   #5

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I know that lots of folks discuss boats and sails, etc., but I don't know how often marine biology gets discussed. I know that I often talk about it in terms of where I have seen various forms of wildlife while on active USN duty, or since, but as far as submerged critters, I am unsure how many biologists (trained marine or otherwise) are on the forum here. I am sure there must be some, because I have heard of folks here who use that as a means of writing off their cruising travel. If I can arrive on a means to write off some of my travel in finishing my Doctorate, I am sure I will want to do the same! Only three years to go, so I may be able to get some travel paid for yet! It is a business degree, but maybe since it is global business relationships and activities in focus...??? Surely there must be a way to make this work!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Salty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Your list of interests is similar to mine, and I am sure many others here too.

As for learning about sailing?
I think CF is the very best place to do that, if you really want to dive in deep into the subject of cruising, and be in a friendly online community that supports it.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and hopefully in the future when you go sailing too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote