Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 13:08   #1

Boat: 1983 Barberis Show 38 - "Hello Gorgeous"
Hello Gorgeous

not you - name of the boat. Most know me as "artbyjody" on other forums, and I am back. Cr8tiveSailor is now being used as it seemed to be a better fit considering that I am becoming a live aboard myself now.

Just to update:

"HG" is in the water, and being worked on. Lucky and I, should be able to start the sailing here end of March (weather permitting). Currently in Elliott Bay Marina J/28. Once started will be doing the community sailing events that I did prior. In short alive and kicking just tackling maintenance issues to ensure that my cruising will not be interrupted by annoyances (like topside water leaks).

Some projects I will post up here later:

1. Getting rid of single color LEDs and conversion of interior lighting to RGB (million colors) selectable using superLEDs. This is a DIY project using lighting fixtures from Home Depot with each light costing around $7 each.

2. Cockpit and exterior RGB lighting.

Example of currently installed:

This shot is with lights in blue just after dusk and can be seen in daylight as well. This is not a rope light or light bar. 16 ft of 1/8 height and 2mm thick RGB Leds that can strobe, dim, and be color selectable in ranges or single color.

3. Install of a Dimplex electric fireplace insert and why it is a better solution than ceramic heaters.

Lots more such as designing light weight furniture panels out of FRP and giving it a faux teak / exotic wood appearance, and such.

From the looks of it seems this forum has seen the migration of the best from the other boards (thanks Scott and others) and hopefully I'll be able to provide some quality contributions.
Old 14-02-2010, 14:38   #2

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
Jody,
CAn you be a little more specific about the LEDs from Home Depot that you are using? The boat i just bought has 12v incandescents in the cabin. Since LEDs have so much lower draw I would like to swap them out, but the marine fixtures are quite costly.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 14:46   #3

Boat: 1983 Barberis Show 38 - "Hello Gorgeous"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
Jody,
CAn you be a little more specific about the LEDs from Home Depot that you are using? The boat i just bought has 12v incandescents in the cabin. Since LEDs have so much lower draw I would like to swap them out, but the marine fixtures are quite costly.
I'll post in the next few days - addressing how I did it....
Old 16-02-2010, 22:19   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard Jody...Glad to see you here!!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:24   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm still experimenting with LED. Seem like they'll be a pretty energy efficient form of lighting for the cabin and running lights.
regards,
Old 28-03-2010, 16:30   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I think Jody bailed John....He got hammered for a post he made by someone that doesnt know Jody's very dry sense of humor and I think that was that for him....too bad hes a great guy...just hard to read his thoughts sometimes.

Had him at our gathering here a couple months ago an I found him a hoot!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:46   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hi Jody!
Glad to see you came over to the other side.

I'd like to hear about the lights as well. I was at Fisheries last week and they want 12-15% of a boat credit for anything that would light up a cabin space.