Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 13:44   #1

Hello from your newest Noob

Well hello Cruisers Forum people! I have been lurking around here off and on for years sponging up knowledge since the Bumfuzzle days.

Probably scoring some negative internet points, but I followed them on their travels since the early 2000s. I quit when they went back to land. I know how much the old salts and armchair sailors hate the Bumfuzzle story as being irresponsible and dangerous. I found it to be an inspiration to make a long term plan to ditch suburbia and cruise the world.

This plan involved investing and building a business asset to sell off, build some real estate equity, and gain a glint of knowledge. Fast forward 15 years and here we are.

After selling off the business, the house, all the crap, and a large bit of sanity we have been living in a trailer we bought to haul around the country while boat shopping. It's been a strange transition from 70 hour high stress work weeks to only having to consider where to park and what's for dinner. We've been loving the vagabond life for the last 6 months.

We are now working toward closing a deal on an older 49' Prout MoneyPit catamaran the first week of December. We will spend a week or so to sail back from the Bahamas to Florida with the current captain, then we are on our own. Yikes!

After closing we want to replace the standing rigging that hasn't already been done, do other minor servicing, upgrade some solar, Sell the truck & trailer, then bust right back across in January. It is currently on the hard getting bottom paint, new cutlass bearings, and all new thru hulls/seacocks. I think we will bum around the Caribbean until the end of the season, then who knows....

We do realize that we know close to nothing, but I'm fairly certain that when others first started boating they also had no experience. We have taken ASA live aboard classes, also known as "How Not to Die in the First Week of Boat Ownership" Looking forward to more first hand experience, and not too many "learned the hard way" lessons.

Thanks for being a great resource! Looking forward to some internet camaraderie and a healthy dose of unsolicited criticism.
svBlueDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 15:34   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Hello from your newest Noob

Love your story. Welcome! It sounds as if you two will figure it out just fine
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 03:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from your newest Noob

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BlueDreams.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote