Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02   #1

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Hello from Victoria, Australia

G'Day

Mick here, signing on from a currently warm Oz. We (wife and I) are in the middle of planning the next part of our lives where we will have much more time to kick back and cruise. Doing lots of research on Lagoon 440's and 450's at the moment as this is the boat of our choice. I like to have lots of info before shelling our lots of AU$ on our floating apartment.

As for me, been sailing dingies and trailerables for 30+ years and now into keelboat racing. The area down here in the Mornington Peninsula is just fantastic and the yacht clubs are all good and friendly.

So you may see me lurking in a thread near you one day and you will know who I am.

Have a wonderful 2011 and fair winds to all.

Mick
Mick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Welome Mick. I am from the same part of world (Black Rock) and the same beginings (Noelex 25). Full time crusing for the last 3 years and loving it.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Welome Mick. I am from the same part of world (Black Rock) and the same beginings (Noelex 25). Full time crusing for the last 3 years and loving it.

You lucky lucky bugger... How's it all going?

Mick
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
This might give you an idea what a rotten life it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ Poliagos 3 s.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	22523  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:30   #5

Perfect answer

I looked at your profile and there is 3 months between us...So you have a little head start over me.

Fair winds...
Mick
Old 04-01-2011, 16:36   #6

Boat: Roberts,Sloop,34', Azure
Hi Mick,
whats the Marina in Westernport like to get into,
I plan to leave Gladstone Qld in a few weeks(if I can get through by road from Adelaide).I draw 1.7m . Roberts 34 sloop.will take me about 3 weeks to get to that part of the country.
Regards Tom
trapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 17:40   #7
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C View Post
G'Day

Mick here, signing on from a currently warm Oz. We (wife and I) are in the middle of planning the next part of our lives where we will have much more time to kick back and cruise. Doing lots of research on Lagoon 440's and 450's at the moment as this is the boat of our choice. I like to have lots of info before shelling our lots of AU$ on our floating apartment.
Hi Mick,
We're from Brisbane. Sounds like your in for quite the adventure over the next couple of years, you will have the time of your life no matter what boat you choose.
If I may suggest, I find the French and euro cats to be very over rated, I find them to be mainly designed to be sailed in the Mediterranean, the workmanship in them is second to none, no one can fault them on that, but there are a couple of Australian designed cats which you should really check out, first and foremost Crowther design 85, they are an absolute classic that are just brilliant at sea, and fast they are a 52 footer that compare to the lagoons you are looking at even a little cheaper in some cases.

Also three others worth looking at a Grainger G480, G1220 these boats are both exceptional boats, some are pro built some are owner built, but I have yet to see a bad one, they were never a production cat like the Lagoons, so each boat you find will be a little different in its layout.
Robin Chaimberlin, also made a few 44 footers which were just exceptional boats and leave any other cat round the world for dead (only my opinion) Robin himself sailed one into the arctic a few years back now, from what I understand to date is still the only cat to have done so.
Also check out the Schionning boats they are exceptional too, but I haven't had much first had experience with them, but they have a rep for awesome sea keeping, unreal speed and being easy to maintain.

Sorry the post was so long winded hehe.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
Hi Mick,
whats the Marina in Westernport like to get into,
I plan to leave Gladstone Qld in a few weeks(if I can get through by road from Adelaide).I draw 1.7m . Roberts 34 sloop.will take me about 3 weeks to get to that part of the country.
Regards Tom
G'Day Tom.

There are a couple of marinas in Western Port...Hastings...which is the one at Western Port Marina It's close (walking distance) to the town, the town is a basic coastal village...(has not got a great name). The marina is fairly big...not sure on vacancies...give them a call on (03) 5979 7400.

The other one is Yaringa. Yaringa Marina & Boat Harbour - Home Page Its definately more Rural and harder to get to civilisation...but very safe.

Do you have your heart set on Western Port? Port Phillip has more options. If you need any more info...just shout.
Fair winds...
Mick
Old 04-01-2011, 18:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Hi Mick,
We're from Brisbane. Sounds like your in for quite the adventure over the next couple of years, you will have the time of your life no matter what boat you choose.
If I may suggest, I find the French and euro cats to be very over rated, I find them to be mainly designed to be sailed in the Mediterranean, the workmanship in them is second to none, no one can fault them on that, but there are a couple of Australian designed cats which you should really check out, first and foremost Crowther design 85, they are an absolute classic that are just brilliant at sea, and fast they are a 52 footer that compare to the lagoons you are looking at even a little cheaper in some cases.

Also three others worth looking at a Grainger G480, G1220 these boats are both exceptional boats, some are pro built some are owner built, but I have yet to see a bad one, they were never a production cat like the Lagoons, so each boat you find will be a little different in its layout.
Robin Chaimberlin, also made a few 44 footers which were just exceptional boats and leave any other cat round the world for dead (only my opinion) Robin himself sailed one into the arctic a few years back now, from what I understand to date is still the only cat to have done so.
Also check out the Schionning boats they are exceptional too, but I haven't had much first had experience with them, but they have a rep for awesome sea keeping, unreal speed and being easy to maintain.

Sorry the post was so long winded hehe.

Great feedback.

Trace and I have been chartering for the last few years (albiet production cats, Seawind, Fountaine, Catana, Lagoon, Fusion, etc) and I found that the Lagoon suited us best. Compared to some others its a TRUCK compared to a racing car or at least a mini-van But given its size (love the interior and layout) it is stable and not so speedy...the compromise we like. Trace felt most confortable and safe in it.

Again...thanks for the feedback...everythign helps.

Regards
Mick
Old 04-01-2011, 18:34   #10

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
glad to have you aboard
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:46   #11
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C View Post
Great feedback.

Trace and I have been chartering for the last few years (albiet production cats, Seawind, Fountaine, Catana, Lagoon, Fusion, etc) and I found that the Lagoon suited us best. Compared to some others its a TRUCK compared to a racing car or at least a mini-van But given its size (love the interior and layout) it is stable and not so speedy...the compromise we like. Trace felt most confortable and safe in it.

Again...thanks for the feedback...everythign helps.

Regards
Mick
Awesome. It's great to hear you know exactly what your looking for, I hope to hear more about your first adventures on here as you pull into ports

If your interested, we have tentative plans to be in Fiji in May, and Tahiti by mid late June, if your going to be in those area's about that time, drop me a line would love to meet up with you
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 15:30   #12

Boat: Roberts,Sloop,34', Azure
Hi again Mick,
The final destination will be Adelaide,But I have a Sister and Her Family in Tyabb which isnt far away.
I dont know how long the trip will take,just want to get the Yacht out of Qld,hope I can get through to Gladstone by road.
Thanks for the info,may catch you around,
Happy Sailing

Regards Tom
trapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 17:01   #13

Tyabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
Hi again Mick,
The final destination will be Adelaide,But I have a Sister and Her Family in Tyabb which isnt far away.
I dont know how long the trip will take,just want to get the Yacht out of Qld,hope I can get through to Gladstone by road.
Thanks for the info,may catch you around,
Happy Sailing

Regards Tom
Yes, Tyabb is close to both those places...I used to live in Tyabb once upon a time...surrounded by cows LaLupa Pizza = excellent...and don't forget to visit The Packing House for all your antique needs. Great old book stores there.

Safe trip.

Mick
Old 06-01-2011, 02:13   #14

Boat: Pugh Windsong 38ft Steel Sloop - Bass Voyager
Hi Mick

Welcome! My wife Caitlin and I are in Melbourne too. We're just about to seal the deal on THE boat, planning a minor refit before heading North in about 6 months. Looking forward to hearing about your progressing plans!

Which yacht clubs in the bay are you familiar with? Any recommendations? We are weighing up options to store our boat for approx 2 months after we sail it back here from the purchase location, Adelaide.

Cheers,
Michael
Serenity01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity01 View Post
Hi Mick

Welcome! My wife Caitlin and I are in Melbourne too. We're just about to seal the deal on THE boat, planning a minor refit before heading North in about 6 months. Looking forward to hearing about your progressing plans!

Which yacht clubs in the bay are you familiar with? Any recommendations? We are weighing up options to store our boat for approx 2 months after we sail it back here from the purchase location, Adelaide.

Cheers,
Michael
G'day Michael and Caitlin.
The selection of Yacht clubs around Melbourne is really good. Basically you have the "town" ones...Sandringham Sandringham Yacht Club (I really like it...bloody long pier walk though!), St Kilda - The Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron - plush, very good facilities, Williamstown - The Royal Yacht Club of Vic - got lots going on, very nice. Royal Brighton 0etc, etc. Basically the good thing about joining a "ROYAL" club is recipricol rights...join one...join all.

Then there are a number of smaller ones dotted aroind...usually more OTB type stuff. Then down the bay you have Geelong, Mornington, Queenscliff, Blairgowerie, etc. Usually goo facilities and to be honest more friendly, homely athmosphere. All my opinion only.

Re where to go...if you are in/around the city/east...I like Sandy...just because I do. But joining a ROYAL has its merits.

If you are going South east...Mornington YC is lovely. If West...Geelong or Williamstown.

Sory , can't be more precise witht he advise...send me a PM if you want to chat more about it. Also, what boat have you got...Mono or Multihull??

Mick

Tags
Australia, australia