Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2006, 21:53   #1

Hello from Vancouver, BC

I started sailing at 6 when my Dad pushed me out onto Christina Lake in a Sabot. He said "It's easy. Hold onto this (the tiller) and this (the mainsheet) and you will be fine!"

Some hear this story and think it harsh... but it was all done with smiles and absolutely no fear on my part! I loved it!

By the time I was 16, I had my CYA Silver Sail, and was teaching at a local club. I spent 20 years sailing the BC coast on a Cal 25 and later Grampian 28, but never ventured out to the blue. University followed, then jobs, then kids... flash forward.

I'm 45, my friends are buying Ski Cabins and Lakeshore retreats. All I want to do is get boat. I am here to learn, and eventually buy. I will spend a year coastal to learn the boat... do a short hop to Mexico and Hawaii... and then cruise the Pacific... and finally take and extended trip around the world.

I was recently with a friend on his Coronado 35, moored in Snug Cove, and met a Japanese gentleman resting after a 40 day solo trek across the Pacific from Japan in an absolutely stunning Tayana 52, Aft Cockpit Cutter.

That boat did it for me... sent me over the edge. I need to buy a boat. If there was one available on the dock that day I would have plunked down whatever it took to sail it away!

I have since decided to take my time, talk to some experienced BWC's and beg rides on whatever I can.

My Favourites so far?

Tayana 52
Valiant 50
Island Packet 485

That's it. That's my introduction, and reason for being here.

Be gentle with me.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 00:35   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Andrew,

Welcome aboard from down the road (99 & I-5).

You've come to the right place. There is a bundle of info here. So, join in. I'm sure with the experience you have that you'll have some to contribute.

It's a wise decision to get to know as many boats as possible before you buy........................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 03:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Andrew,

It's too bad you can't log into Cruisers Fourm and take a virtual sail around in a great boat for a few hours. All we can do is talk about it and show you pictures in the forum gallery. Sailors with or without experience or with or wthout a boat are always welcome here. You just have to like it.

Please join in the conversations, look around, read the threads, and enjoy the trip.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 05:28   #4

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
remember you can fall in love fast. so get yourself a list of must haves, so you will fall in love with the right boat. I wont rush you but sooner is better than later and your dad was right. Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 05:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Best not to fall in love until after you buy it. Being able to walk away is often the right thing to do.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 09:17   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Greetings from far away Deep Cove on the North Shore. Welcome to this forum and the beginnings of our monsoon season in Vancouver. If you want to join me in some sails, day or other wise, just email me and you'll be welcomed aboard my long in the tooth, weird dinette layout, 1975 27 Catalina. I'm moored at Sewell's marina in Horseshoe Bay which is convenient, since as soon as you round the corner after you leave the marina, you're good to go, whether Howe Sound or the Gulf Islands. And I'm a master of illegal lengthly free parking in Horseshoe Bay.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 09:54   #7

Perhaps I should have said "infatuation" instead of love. Rest assured I will take plenty of time making my decision. Thank you for the offer for a ride. I know the area well as I grew up sailing out of WVYC. Very convenient indeed! Unfortunately we had to give up our membership during university - couldn't afford to pay for books and the social club fee at the same time! Tragic... can you imagine the seniority for a berth I would have now? I wouls have 31 years there! EGADZ!

Thanks for all of your warm welcome, and if anyone would like to reccommend a particular favorite cruising boat, I am wide open to suggestion.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 19-10-2006, 13:05   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Andrew,
Welcome aboard!! Us boat nuts love company. I've fallen in lust with so many boats so many times I feel a bit slutty. So, I know what you'll be experiencing.
I've sailed nearly everything old from 55 feet and under including a Sabot. My recommendation is that you do not get anything larger than a 35/36 LOD. Aft cockpit, fiberglass and cutter rigged. Smaller boats are way more easy to handle unless you have all kinds of money for electric winches or can count on a steady crew. They are way more economical for all kinds of gear and they are way cheaper to berth or moor.
Give it some thought.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 13:22   #9

Ah, see. There is the problem. I do have the money for all the bells and toys. Not to say I am indescriminate in my spending. But If a 52 is more comfortable or performs better off shore, then that is where I will lean (pun intended). If a boat with a 35/36 LOD sails better, so be it. I am open to all, and will extesively sail test all I can before a purchase. I know I won't get to take it offshore (not if I find something around here) but I can pick a particularly blustery day and head to the Staight of Georgia.

Did you have a particular boat in mind? Also, in my sailing days... before university, career and children landlocked my brain... I was not familiar with the 'Centre Cockpit' on anything other than a ketch or a Maple Leaf '48 I spent some time on, and that was more of a Pilot House than a cockpit. The theory on them seams sound, but I can't get used to looking at them. Too far from the water or something... not sure what.... doesn't look right.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 19-10-2006, 14:21   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If your going to be sailing the Straits of Georgia I'd recommend something on the heavy side for it's length that's unless your going to be racing, of course.

A couple of times crossing the Straits we had 4-6 ft seas. The wind can get up to 35 knots at night in July and Aug. Don't know about the rest of the year. Wind waves are rougher then a rolling sea, they are close together. It's like a wind tunnel between the Island and the mainland. Close to shore it seems to be more calm.

The nice thing about a 52' is it will have room for a genset to keep the batteries up as well all the bells and whistles to make it more comfortable. Having the $$ also allows for the safety accessories that the average sailor cringes to buy, like a boom brake. One of my best investments for single handing.

A larger boat is also good for family, the more room the less arguments.

I wish you the best on your search................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote