Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 20:44   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Hello from Vancouver

Hello All:

Apart from a little experience sailing dinghies on Lake Ontario, I’m new to the sailing game, but I’ve been dreaming about a boat for about eighteen years. Recently, the job/education game has finally brought me to Vancouver after a lot of time spent far from any water, so I decided to seize on the chance to finally do some sailing.

I just completed a real newbie boat search – four months ago, I started by searching for a $50k liveaboard, but as I learned and searched and learned some more, I sobered and simplified my plans. Finally, a week ago, I settled upon a nice, basic outboard-only 27’ Catalina with a moorage at Reed Point Marina, which I’ll use as a weekender (and as an occasional day-office).

My cat isn’t a project boat, but the previous owner bought it and then ignored it completely for a year. When it was hauled out for the survey, there was a jungle on its hull – one of the employees of the marina said it was the second-worst he’d ever seen. (When we scraped down the hull and power-washed it, it left a heap the length of the boat and about eight inches deep – about eight wheelbarrows full.)

But, I bought my poor neglected baby, and now I’m in the middle of cleaning it up, doing repairs, and updating its equipment (as well as taking a CYA sailing course, to learn the basics of keelboats). It’s not a resurrection job, but certainly a rehabilitation project – and a great learning experience.

Naturally, I’m in the process of asking stupid questions and trying to sort through a whole heap of written advice, as well as the typically-good-but-often-mercenary advice of marine part suppliers, repairmen, etc. So, I’m looking forward to sopping up advice from the forums!

Buddy
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 21:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hello from Singapore. It sounds like you have bought into a bunch of fun.

My advice is to go slow, do the "critical" stuff and then let the boat tell you more. Keep a log on board and just list stuff as you go along.

We just went through a similar experience although our boat was in pretty good shape. Most important was the standing rigging, through hulls and running rigging.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Naturally, I’m in the process of asking stupid questions and trying to sort through a whole heap of written advice, as well as the typically-good-but-often-mercenary advice of marine part suppliers, repairmen, etc.
Buddy,

If you think you need to know the answer then it's probably not stupid. It may however be simple and we handle simple questions quickly. The hard stuff can take a little longer. Sounds like you have a lot to do but nothing too difficult that you can't complete. Be patient and ask questions. Enjoy all the great stuff that is already written too. The search tool can dig something up on about anything too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 13:09   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Buddy,
Welcome aboard!! You are certainly going to get a lot of opinions here. Have a good time sailing your "new" boat and learning everything there is to know about boat handling before you start putting a lot of expensive electronic gear aboard. The old depth sounder was a lead line. They work just great. The electronic gear is great fun but it doesn't make you a good sailor. Experience sailing makes you a good sailor.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 13:59   #5

Boat: Buchan 42' Brat
HI Buddy from the Same NEck of the Woods

The other members have given good advice, Take your time it is the best way to know your boat and learn, I have bought 4 boats over the years and every one is as you described or worse but it has been a rewardable and enjoyable learning experience. In fact I have just purchased a 42' monohull in Seattle that I will be bringing up to Vancouver this next 2 weeks,. Good Luck and enjoy

David
dandkblundell@b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 14:05   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Congrats Buddy:

Cat 27 is a nice boat. You may or may not know this but you live in one of the most beautful sailing grounds in the world. I had my boat up on Vancouver Island for ayear and wished that I had more time there.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:35   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Buddy,
Just don't be afraid to ask any question and the other forum users will respond as they usually do - with more advice than you might expect!
Enjoy the project and the sailing.
Cheers
John
Old 02-03-2008, 10:50   #8

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Smile thanks... again

Hi All:

I just discovered that my 'hello' has generated a raft of new responses. Thanks all! I'm smiling a bit about it because I posted my 'hello' back last November, but somehow the thread recently got resuscitated. Nevertheless, always nice to feel welcome.

Cheers,

Buddy Y
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote