Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21   #1

Hello from TX

Hello all,

About me,
My name is Bryan. I was first introduced to sailing about 16 yrs ago. The National Guard unit I was with went to St. Kitts island to build a Coast Guard Headquarters. While I was there I got to ride on a catamaran and went for a day trip island hopping. LOVED IT! The wind, the sea and no engine noise, it couldn’t have been better. The a few years later, a co-worker took me out on his sailboat. Now this was on a lake, but it still felt just as freeing. I lost that job and contact with him. But I never lost the (what’s the word I’m looking for) NEED that filled me that day on the ocean. The lake trip just solidified it. I knew one day I’d have to buy one. We’ll I’m not there yet, but I’ve decided to start looking. I’m going to take a few lessons this year, learn how to read charts. Once I’ve learned to sail, I’ll start looking for a boat. Now, that order can change if a deal comes up. But first I’ve got some reading to do. I’ve built quite a few vehicles before (cars, trucks, and jeeps). I know what to look for when buying one. But boats, I don’t know squat! And that’s what led me to you. I’ll be looking, poking, and asking questions along the way.

So, thanks for looking.

Bryan
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Hello from TX

Hey Brian....welcome to the forum.
When you use our search tab Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Search Forums
Go down to the second box "Google Custom Search" you'll be amazed at how much info you'll find here.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:03   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF from TX and enjoy
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:38   #4

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Welcome Bryan, and as James S. said, you sure came to the right place for help and information.
In terms of learning to sail, there are a number of ways to go:
You can start small and cheap with a dinghy, Laser, Hobie or whatever, they’re easy to move around and fairly easy to re-sell when you want to move up.
Or, another low cost option, join a local sailing club and sail whatever they have available.
Or, (And this is my preferred option) make up a flier outlining what you want to do (Just as you did here) and visit every marina within sensible driving distance and ask them to post your flier for you being sure to offer your services as a general dogsbody in exchange for some sailing time.
I have taken lots of “Wannabe” sailors out over the years and I think you will find many boat owners in your area will be willing to take you out in exchange for a little hard work.
If you can make that work for you, you will get experience in a number of boats and that will help you determine what sort of boat would suit you in the longer term.
And yes, if you ever find yourself in Lowestoft, UK, we would be happy to take you out in the North Sea on our boat as long as you bear in mind that you would be fourth in the pecking order.
My wife is No. 1, her dog is No.2, I’m No.3…..
Hope this helps, James
Old 08-06-2011, 13:46   #5

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of excellent information here.

Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:55   #6

Thanks for the welcome.

I think I'm gona go the cheap and easy route. There are a few places here in the Gulf that do beginner courses for under 300. One place lets you take out a boat on your own after you pass.

The main questions I have now are the typical ones. Like whats the difference between ocean going and not? I want one that will be able to cross the deap blue one day.
Old 08-06-2011, 14:18   #7

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifegoal2sail View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I think I'm gona go the cheap and easy route. There are a few places here in the Gulf that do beginner courses for under 300. One place lets you take out a boat on your own after you pass.

The main questions I have now are the typical ones. Like whats the difference between ocean going and not? I want one that will be able to cross the deap blue one day.
Hi again Bryan; I can tell that you are eager to get on with things but I think you need to focus on your immediate priorities right now those being:
1. Learning how to sail,
2. Learning about coastal and ocean navigation and the various electronic Nav systems,
3. Learning the basics about boat maintenance,
4. Learning about the different kinds of boats, Sloops, Cutters, Ketches, Cat’s etc,
5. Learn what kind of boat is right for you.
It is very, very easy to buy the “Wrong” boat and they are very hard to re-sell.
The more you learn in the next few weeks and months, the fewer mistakes you will make and believe me, mistakes involving yachts can be very, very expensive.
The learning process can be very quick, and failing to follow it can be both dangerous and expensive.
Take a step back, lock up your cheque book for at least three months until you have learned a little more about what you are getting in to….James
Old 08-06-2011, 14:21   #8

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22

Hey Bryan! First, where-in-the-gulf are you? We are all around Rockport, Aransas Pass, Corpus areas.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 16:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
Hi again Bryan; I can tell that you are eager to get on with things but I think you need to focus on your immediate priorities right now those being:
1. Learning how to sail,
2. Learning about coastal and ocean navigation and the various electronic Nav systems,
4. Learning about the different kinds of boats, Sloops, Cutters, Ketches, Cat’s etc,
It is very, very easy to buy the “Wrong” boat and they are very hard to re-sell.
The more you learn in the next few weeks and months, the fewer mistakes you will make and believe me, mistakes involving yachts can be very, very expensive.
The learning process can be very quick, and failing to follow it can be both dangerous and expensive.
Take a step back, lock up your cheque book for at least three months until you have learned a little more about what you are getting in to….James

Hey James,
Great advice. That is the plan. Like I said, the only way I'd change that plan is if a once and a lifetime deal came along. While I was at work I did a quick search about the different types and found this
Types of Sailboats – Sailboat Rigs
I know it's brief, but I did learn a few things. But, you pretty much nail my agenda for the next few months.
Old 08-06-2011, 16:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Hey Bryan! First, where-in-the-gulf are you? We are all around Rockport, Aransas Pass, Corpus areas.
Fishman, I'm not at the gulf. I'm in Austin. But for me that's just down the road 3-4hrs. I figured once I learn how to and about, I can find one and dock it in Port A or Galveston, maybe even Corpus. It would be nothing to leave Thursday nights and take of a Fri and Monday so that I'd have a good 2-3 days to sail and one to come home.

Heck, if you ever need a no nothing hand let me know. I'd pitch in for grub/drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
1. Learning how to sail,
Old 08-06-2011, 21:03   #11

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22

Well, I live in Beeville (on 59 south of SA) and I got a nice little 24' Catalina on a trailer in the front yard. Been tryin' to get my homie down in Port A to dunk her in so we can play. Could arrange a little training cruise or 4.........
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16   #12

Let me know when. I usually head to Port A and then decide where to go.
Old 05-07-2011, 20:36   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and posting. I hope you can hook up with someone for some lessons.
kind regards,