Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 21:35   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
pirate hello from trollville...

i have been here for a bit as a alurker then went to the caribean and returned....i have 2 boats of my own yet i travelled on someone elses boat while there. i learned to sail from a young age of 7 in hudson river , taught by a relative who was a tallshipman and merchant marine tallshipman....he sailed around the world in tallships--he taught us to sail as we grew up on board a sloop he owned which was built in the nate hereschoff yard in 1903.....i have an ericson 35mII and a formosa yankee clipper 41...am selling ericson and keeping the formosa, as i wish to sail her extensively in warmer waters than those in which my boats are kept ....i live aboard the formosa and repair her as i reside here.....am looking forward to cruising in her and hope to start soon.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 22:14   #2

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Welcome aboard.

San Diego, eh? The waters must be pretty cold there. Definitely head to warmer climates.

Cheers

Bill
Old 04-02-2009, 22:34   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha Zee...and welcome to the forum. I've actually been thinking of relocating your way. Love the pictures of the Yankee...good choice.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23   #4

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Hello ZeeHag, from your old stomping grounds of the Hudson River. I am located in Stony Point, NY. About 12 miles North of the Tappan Zee Bridge( is that where you got the Zee from?) Welcome to this great group of informed, funny and considerate cruisers and sailors.
It sounds as though you have more than a little background in boating. Will your future plans carry you to the Caribbean?? That is my destination........leaving this Spring, going down the ICW....maybe we can meet in warmer waters one day!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:44   #5

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Wow - you survived being thrown off your previous boat?

Quite the story there eh? Bit of story telling here and there as well eh? How's the cat?
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Quibell View Post
Quite the story there eh? Bit of story telling here and there as well eh? How's the cat?

story telling?? my fish i catch are still shorts and not worth keeping----i turn' em back to momma----kat is wonderful and funny.....my uncle was a tallshipman worked for great lakes shipping, a company founded by wiley michael egan, my grt grt grandfather....no stories from me just honesty and perseverance......
water off san diego is now about 58 degrees.......normal for winter---yes,, cold!!!!

hopefully i will be able to get this boat ready to do a trip to caribean or i find someone who is a FRIEND this time to cruise with........gottta get back-----genetix.....my moms aunt lived there for many years and died there in st croix.....in her own home.......

the zee in zeehag is sea, yes, but evolved from datsun Z car forums --i joined them before the sailing ones.....as z-hag......go figger.....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zeehag,
Welcome aboard! Isn't Zee also a dutch word for sea? Good to have you here are you under the Coronado bridge? I've spent my share of time anchored and moored in San Diego on Navy destroyers and also sailing out of Coronado. Its a great place and the water is cold year round. Is Marina space still hard to come by?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:24   #8

yes, is for sea from dutch----navy creates a challenge here but is ok---need that , i guess....very nice view here but definitely COLD in storms---this yr we have so far had 4 documented 38 degree nites and didnt warm up because of the storms---from the north .....brrrrrr......gotta love it!!!certainly isnt for wimps......thankyou for your warm welcome!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
yes, is for sea from dutch----navy creates a challenge here but is ok---need that , i guess....very nice view here but definitely COLD in storms---this yr we have so far had 4 documented 38 degree nites and didnt warm up because of the storms---from the north .....brrrrrr......gotta love it!!!certainly isnt for wimps......
Hello Zeehag -- dropped you a pm, and I thought to ask here as well. I am looking for a slip in the San Diego area -- been to Shelter Island a couple of times looking at marinas. I will be working north of SD, but decided to move my boat from LA (Long Beach) to SD to find a liveaboard slip. Any suggestions on some nice areas? (Defined as looking ok, with maybe some restaurants and groceries closeby).

Where in SD would you recommend looking? I have been to San Diego maybe three times in my life. Seems like a lot of coastline to investigate!

Thanks

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Hello Zeehag -- dropped you a pm, and I thought to ask here as well. I am looking for a slip in the San Diego area -- been to Shelter Island a couple of times looking at marinas. I will be working north of SD, but decided to move my boat from LA (Long Beach) to SD to find a liveaboard slip. Any suggestions on some nice areas? (Defined as looking ok, with maybe some restaurants and groceries closeby).

Where in SD would you recommend looking? I have been to San Diego maybe three times in my life. Seems like a lot of coastline to investigate!

Thanks

Michael
hi michael---the slip rentals here in dago are running 16-18/ft whenya can find them--wiith a long waiting list----depending on size of boat...anywhere from 3 yrs and up.....i would consider , if relocating to dago is a necessity, looking into a temporary mooring for a while....might make the work of seekin gslippage more tolerable----this bay is huge but vewry small---most of the water heere is short and needs dredging frequently....yacht clubs have waiting lists and the marinas as well---there is a 3 yr wait list for permanent moorings, as well......i can run a check with the folks i know in marina work and see what is locatable for your lengtha nd needs if you would like.....
Old 05-02-2009, 12:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Have a 35 foot sailboat with a draft 4.8ft. I have been traveling down to SD the past couple of weekends -- with not much luck. Chula Vista has openings, but that is so far south and it would add almost another 20 mins on my commute to Oceanside.

Damn.

I take it you use a dinghy to get back and forth? How romantic is that!! Moored out there in bay... on your own against the elements.... dependent on your battery bank. I might have to look into the mooring option!

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate your information.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Have a 35 foot sailboat with a draft 4.8ft. I have been traveling down to SD the past couple of weekends -- with not much luck. Chula Vista has openings, but that is so far south and it would add almost another 20 mins on my commute to Oceanside.

Damn.

I take it you use a dinghy to get back and forth? How romantic is that!! Moored out there in bay... on your own against the elements.... dependent on your battery bank. I might have to look into the mooring option!

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate your information.

Michael
almopst sounds like my erixcson!!!! i have her on a mooring as well---isnt so bad----i take a kayak to the beach---gotta wear big boots--lots of heavy metals in the muck and mud.....but it really doesnt bother me unless i fall into the nasty stuff----did tha tonly once in 10 yrs-----soi am still ahead----rowing isnt such a bad deal---is a prep for cruising and helps keep ya in fighting trim, as it were---but a temporary mooring is only 260 for my field.....so isnt tooo bad....