Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 16:30   #1

Hello from Tin Can Bay, Australia

Just joined and looking forward to exchange ideas and tips for cruising.
I just wrote a long story but decided to keep it brief and just saying that I am able do do impossible things.
I had a bad paragliding accident in NZ and according to doctors I was to never able to walk again?
I have cycled across New Zealand pedaling with my feet but it took me 8 months what an epic journey.
A year ago I bought my first ever sailing boat. 9 metre sailing catamaran which was cheap but needed some TLC.
Plenty of adventures with various crews and had couple of professional chefs onboard on two trips on Whitsundays.
After that I sailed single handed 500 nautical miles as I could not find crew due to Covid.
Now New sails after a misadventure with a bad crew member. He was underestimating my abilities and over estimating the boat performance. On the hindsight my old sails were pretty bad and tacking upwind was pretty impossible.
We lost the motor due to contaminated fuel. Then we lost the sails in storm and got rescued by Coast Guard.
Insurance paid for new sails and now my catamaran goes much steeper angle into upwind. Also faster in light winds.
So a steep learning curve and lots of challenges. But I have Sisu, a special Finnish quality of determination, perseverance and stubbornness to do whatever is required to achieve a positive outcome in adverse conditions!
Cheers
Henry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210817-181403_Lite.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	244830
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 16:34   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Hello from Tin Can Bay, Australia

tervetuloa turvapaikkaan henry

if you spend any time in the lagoon at double island point we might see you there in a month or 2

cheers,
Old 06-09-2021, 17:22   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Welcome aboard Stellar1970 Cat, are you anchored out in the bay? We keep our yacht Ninky Nonk in the Tin Can bay marina. Lots of places to explore around Tin Can.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
tervetuloa turvapaikkaan henry

if you spend any time in the lagoon at double island point we might see you there in a month or 2

cheers,
Kiitos Chris,
We stayed 3 nights on the anchor at Double Island Point. What an awesome turvapaikka[emoji16]
I had a French couple as my crew for couple of weeks and they were the best this far. Dam8en was handy like me with tech and Clio was excellent cook.
I should be heading up north but quite happily anchored at Tin Can Bay now.
Much quieter than Noisy River[emoji2] (Noose River)
My Stellar was anchored there for 6 months as I was waiting for new sails from local sailmaker.
Old 06-09-2021, 19:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Welcome aboard Stellar1970 Cat, are you anchored out in the bay? We keep our yacht Ninky Nonk in the Tin Can bay marina. Lots of places to explore around Tin Can.

Cheers
Cheers Fore and Aft,
Actually at Carlo point but can see Tin Can Bay lights from here.
Pretty quiet here which suits me as I need to do some maintenance and electrical jobs.
Cheers
Old 06-09-2021, 22:46   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar1970Cat View Post
Cheers Fore and Aft,
Actually at Carlo point but can see Tin Can Bay lights from here.
Pretty quiet here which suits me as I need to do some maintenance and electrical jobs.
Cheers

Henry, Welcome to the Forum, plenty of great advice and knowledge to be found here, you only need to ask.

We just spent 10 days at the Tin Can Bay anchorage, nice spot of the world. Currently heading slowly north, but will check out Carlo Point on our return. If you are still there , we"ll have sundowners.

Cheers
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 00:12   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

We’re finishing off our quarantine on Friday and will start heading north on the forecast S/W winds later next week. First stop Mooloolaba to visit family and provision for a couple of months, then in through the Emily Bay Bar and up the Sandy Straights. It would be a pleasure to stop by and rescue some beer from getting warm with you before we head north.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 00:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Henry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:30   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We’re finishing off our quarantine on Friday and will start heading north on the forecast S/W winds later next week. First stop Mooloolaba to visit family and provision for a couple of months, then in through the Emily Bay Bar and up the Sandy Straights. It would be a pleasure to stop by and rescue some beer from getting warm with you before we head north.
fxykty, you likely have it all planned out but a stop-over in the lagoon at double island point is well worth it - esp if wanting to time a passage at the bar

when you get a bit further up keep an eye out for us...presently in the keppels and always a coldie or 2 in the fridge to share...

cheers,
Old 17-11-2021, 23:24   #10

Thank you all for replies,
Double Island Point was a great stop and I left in good time before I ran out of food hand weather turned bad.
Now I have been a week in Noosa River. Heading south soon.
Crossing the Noosa Bar was easy as I asked couple jet skiers to guide me in.
So my liveaboard life is going pretty good.
Getting new crew has been more difficult than last year. Possibly because of Covid restrictions?
Cheers and talk to you soon.
Old 10-12-2021, 19:11   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia