Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 07:45   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Hello from the UK

Hi folks, I have just seen this part of the forum to say hi and introduce oneself. Well here I (or we) are. My wife and I have just started the process of selling up everything and want to fulfill our dream of changing our lives forever .

We intend buying an ocean-going live-aboard yacht (sailboat) next year, in the USA or Caribbean and then spend our time living aboard and sailing the Caribbean and USA. Who knows, we may end up doing an Atlantic crossing as well if we build experience (and guts lol).

We are looking at a 44-50ft with a fair beam and will probably be looking at a price of up to $100 000.00. Not sure how realistic that is so perhaps someone can advise?

We still have a lot to learn and hope to make friends here, learn a lot and one day meet on the ocean somewhere?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 07:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hello from the UK

Hello again,

I think your budget is pretty realistic. Depending on the brand and quality boat you want you may have to shop a while or take a boat that needs a little TLC. Good quality boats in good condition, even in this down economy, usually command a higher price. However, with some patience, flexibility in your preferences and the ability to move quickly to close a deal you could find a desperate seller and luck into a killer deal. Just don't expect to find a 2 year old Moody in perfect condition for $40,000. If you do please give me a call.

Good luck
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 08:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hello again,

I think your budget is pretty realistic. Depending on the brand and quality boat you want you may have to shop a while or take a boat that needs a little TLC. Good quality boats in good condition, even in this down economy, usually command a higher price. However, with some patience, flexibility in your preferences and the ability to move quickly to close a deal you could find a desperate seller and luck into a killer deal. Just don't expect to find a 2 year old Moody in perfect condition for $40,000. If you do please give me a call.

Good luck
Lol, yeah I hope $ 100 000.00 will be enough. I am not a great mechanic and will have to get better with hands on repairs etc.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Lol, yeah I hope $ 100 000.00 will be enough. I am not a great mechanic and will have to get better with hands on repairs etc.
Don't worry. After owning a boat for a couple of years you will be a great mechanic, plumber, electrician and more...... or just a lot poorer.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:15   #5

Quote:
Don't worry. After owning a boat for a couple of years you will be a great mechanic, plumber, electrician and more...... or just a lot poorer.
Probably all of the above except we will be much "richer" in life and experience methinks
Old 19-09-2012, 13:31   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. Like Skipmac says...you'll be a pro in no time after you see the quality of work the yards do and see what their bill is. A boat teaches you your skills. When I started, I could maybe keep an old car running. After my 4th boat or so, I can climb a mast, fiberglass, do nice joinery work on exotic woods and recently rebuilt my diesel...and I only had a handful of "extra" parts left over...
If I could give anyone a piece of good advice, it is go as small as you can. If you go small...you'll go longer. For $100K, there are many nice, well founded boats from the 60's to 90's. Just off the top of my head is a Westsail 42/43, Pacific Seacraft 37 and certain years of Valiant 40's.
It's difficult to go aboard boats that you have no intention of buying but sometimes brokers have an open boat show. So you can go ahead and see what size boat you really need.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 14:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
and recently rebuilt my diesel...and I only had a handful of "extra" parts left over...
I love it. I have said for years if you rebuild an engine or some other complex mechanical device and don't have a few extra parts left over you probably did something wrong.
Old 19-09-2012, 17:27   #8

Quote:
I love it. I have said for years if you rebuild an engine or some other complex mechanical device and don't have a few extra parts left over you probably did something wrong.
Yup...If you don't have a few parts left over, you better take the pan back off and find them...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-09-2012, 01:02   #9

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. Like Skipmac says...you'll be a pro in no time after you see the quality of work the yards do and see what their bill is. A boat teaches you your skills. When I started, I could maybe keep an old car running. After my 4th boat or so, I can climb a mast, fiberglass, do nice joinery work on exotic woods and recently rebuilt my diesel...and I only had a handful of "extra" parts left over...
If I could give anyone a piece of good advice, it is go as small as you can. If you go small...you'll go longer. For $100K, there are many nice, well founded boats from the 60's to 90's. Just off the top of my head is a Westsail 42/43, Pacific Seacraft 37 and certain years of Valiant 40's.
It's difficult to go aboard boats that you have no intention of buying but sometimes brokers have an open boat show. So you can go ahead and see what size boat you really need.
Thanks for the advice. I do think we would want to look for at least a 44footer for the space and comfort?
Old 20-09-2012, 01:04   #10

Quote:
Wow, I think I would deserve some or other medal if I ever became able to rebuild an engine lol. Seems like there is hope yet?
Old 20-09-2012, 05:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I do think we would want to look for at least a 44footer for the space and comfort?
Based on the space you want for comfort I wouldn't base the decision strictly on boat length. The beam and even more so, how far the maximum beam extends towards the bow and stern can have a huge effect on interior living space.

I have seen a 40', narrow beam sailboat with even narrower pointed bow and small, overhanging stern that had much less cabin space than a beamy 30' boat. Another example, the Morgan OutIsland 36 has move living space than many 40-42' boats.

But there are other factors to consider as well; looks, performance, cabin layout and such can also vary a lot from model to model.
Old 20-09-2012, 06:46   #12

Quote:
Based on the space you want for comfort I wouldn't base the decision strictly on boat length. The beam and even more so, how far the maximum beam extends towards the bow and stern can have a huge effect on interior living space.

I have seen a 40', narrow beam sailboat with even narrower pointed bow and small, overhanging stern that had much less cabin space than a beamy 30' boat. Another example, the Morgan OutIsland 36 has move living space than many 40-42' boats.

But there are other factors to consider as well; looks, performance, cabin layout and such can also vary a lot from model to model.
I agree and am definitely taking beam dimensions into account, thanks.
Old 20-09-2012, 07:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I agree and am definitely taking beam dimensions into account, thanks.
Don't know if you are already familiar with these but a really roomy and very solid boat is the CSY44. Huge space inside, traditional lines that some like (and some don't), solid glass construction with no wood, foam or other core material, huge water and fuel tanks. One negative, they aren't the fastest boat on the planet but will get you there.

A little shopping you should find one to fit your budget.
Old 20-09-2012, 18:30   #14

Quote:
Don't know if you are already familiar with these but a really roomy and very solid boat is the CSY44. Huge space inside, traditional lines that some like (and some don't), solid glass construction with no wood, foam or other core material, huge water and fuel tanks. One negative, they aren't the fastest boat on the planet but will get you there.

A little shopping you should find one to fit your budget.
Wow...I just looked at them online...HUGE!!! The prices range from $49K to $130K.
Old 20-09-2012, 19:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow...I just looked at them online...HUGE!!! The prices range from $49K to $130K.
Chartered a CSY 44 years ago and think it was much roomier than a friends Gulfstar 50.

The CSY has 400 gallons of water, 200 gallons diesel. Giant refrigerator, huge aft cabin. It's floating condo.

Unless it was totally trashed $49K would be a really good deal.