Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2008, 07:13   #1

Hello from the St. Louis area

Hello all!

I am completely new to sailing. In fact, I still have not been on the water. I have several old boats out in the yard that I am working on. I have an AMF Puffer that is pretty close to ready to go. The current boom and main are a touch too large for that boat, especially since I will be learning in it. I have a very old aluminum boat that is pretty close to the Comets as far as length and beam. Online they suggest that the Comet design was influenced by the crabbing boats of that time period. I suspect this boat is one of those crabbing dinghy type boats. Salt water has destroyed the keel under the keel strip and has caused extensive pitting of the aluminum. I am attempting repairs. I also have the lower hull of a Y-flyer laid up in glass and the full rig including sails. A gentleman close by has a Y-flyer hull that may be mine shortly also.
It seems I am learning the fix em and maintain them end of the game first!
Nice to meet all of you!
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 07:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Runner,

Maintenance is a good place to start. Then when you start sailing you can already fix things that break. I lived for years in the Metro East, Collinsville, Belleville, Granite Cahokia, and on goes the list..........WELCOME......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 10:06   #3

Nice to met ya!
I have been speaking with a gentleman over there that has a hull for a Y-flyer that I need to go look at. I have the mast, boom, sails, rigging, and even a trailer. The hull that came with it was too far gone to be of any use. Seems the like I have been fixing things ever since this sailing idea got stuck in my head!
So far I have learned that free boats are often not worth what you paid for them. I went and retrieved a CL-16 hull that appeared to be in fixable condition. When I actually went over it, it got cut up and sent to the dump. Would you believe that it was filled with styrofoam pellets like a bean bag chair?? I have learned that there are really good people and some real jerks on sailing forums, just like anywhere else. I am banned from sailnet because a moderator was rude and insulting for post after post. I tried being nice for a few posts and then asked him to step off. I am banned for attacking him!!!!
Since that happened, I am going slow here. I don't know if the jerk is on this forum or not. Since that happened, I doubt I will be posting much here for a while except questions about fixing stuff.
Thanks for the welcome and maybe we will get to sail together before too long!
Old 15-10-2008, 10:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I am banned from sailnet because a moderator was rude and insulting for post after post. I tried being nice for a few posts and then asked him to step off. I am banned for attacking him!!!!
He was most likely a power-hungry Neanderthal, just like all other Mods and Admins on the intertoobs
skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 14:29   #5
Eternal Member

On many forums you aren't allowed to give an opinion, and have to take wise cracks up the GAZOO. They think because you are new they get to abuse you.....OH WELL things are usually pretty smooth sailing here......i2f
Old 15-10-2008, 23:57   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Runner,
Welcome aboard! I enjoy putting together boats nearly as much as sailing them. I've got a 12 foot dinghy built from a Herreshoff Marco Polo dinghy used as a mold that sports a Laser daggerboard and an Aquacat kickup rudder and Flying Junior sails. I did buy a new mast but handmade the boom and did all the rigging my self. It really sails great but is a bit tender with the sail area being quite large for a 12 footer.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 05:50   #7

Boat: we don't need no steenking boat-we walk on water...
Runner, where are you in STL?
I'm in St. Chas county.
Old 16-10-2008, 07:54   #8

Guzzi, Jeff county about 12 south of 270 off 21. Nice to meet ya! I assume from your name that you ride those other wind machines!
SkiprJohn, Nice to meet ya! If you like making things work your way, wrap your head around this. The Y-flyer came with a fiberglass lay up of the bottom hull turned upside down on top protecting the hull from the weather. I have a complete 18 foot lower hull with the sails, rig, and even the rudder. I have no interest in racing. I am trying to figure out just what is the correct top side configuration to make it into the perfect Ozarks sail boat! I will post on that as soon as I figure out how to get the picture into the post. So far I can't get that to work here.
The sailnet thing is just aggravating, but get this. They sent me ads yesterday by email trying to sell me stuff!!! I am banned supposedly for life because I would not put up with attacks from a mod, and they still send adverts to my private email!! There should be a warning placed somewhere online about that place!
Nice to meet you all and have a very nice day!
Old 16-10-2008, 07:56   #9
Eternal Member

Runner,

There's banning, & there's making a buck. I think I know where you will NOT spend your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL