Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2008, 00:30   #1

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
Hello from the land down under *smiling*

Hello wonderful people,

thanks for such a great board. I have been lurking about in the shadows for some time enjoying reading all the wonderful input, learning so much. I am new to the board and relatively new to sailing ( nice to be new at something , lately I am feelin' a wee bit old) ...first boat was a lovely old Hartley TS16. I think it took me about three minutes to be totally hooked on sailing. A few spins around the bay later; my other half gave in to my dream , bless him, and we bought a 10.4 (34ft) Boro Temptress , steel hull. We have named her Anarchy . I realise that there is a bit of voodoo attached to changing a boat's name... Interested to hear your thoughts about that.

She is currently on the hard looking very bare . We have gutted her interior ( surveyor says he cant wait to see it to do a hull inspection because we have made his job easier ) and we are now in the process of refitting her with newer bits as we can afford it. I hope the 'doing' stays as much fun as the planning has been.
Starting to think its that B.O.A.T really does mean 'break open another thousand'.

I spent a lovely hour or two yesterday 'boat dreaming' looking at the thread ' what was your ephiphany?' . It made a nice break from cleaning the hull interior. When I get a moment I will be adding to that thread too.

I will also be asking lots of questions especially about the Vetus diesel in an apporopraite thread . I intend to get very well aquainted with it, and right now its in a few pieces waiting to be put back together.

Once again thanks for the forum , we have lots and lots to learn before we set sail, ( including how to sail well enough to stay safe and 'dryish') they say a thousand mile journey starts with the first step, does that mean a life of cruising starts with your first knock down? Just kidding, its nice to know that there is such a wealth of information, experience and friendly people at the click of a mouse button.

I look forward to meeting some of you when we do finally set sail to parts unknown, in the meantime I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Watergypsy
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 00:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Great first thread

pictures please!!!!!!

You are unusual in that it is normally the man try to persuade his lady that a boat is the answer to all questions. We have a thread on here which has morphed into a discussion on how to persuade. It would be interesting to get your viewpoint!
Old 21-09-2008, 09:38   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome,

Love those Harleys!

Look forward to you keeping us posted as you get closer to dropping the cruiser in the water and setting off.
Good luck

JOHN
Old 21-09-2008, 10:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome Aboard Watergypsy! I always like to hear when lurkers have become active participants. I wish you the best with your boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 13:27   #5

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
Helo fellow Ausie and welcome aboard. Where in OZ are you?
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 01:04   #6

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
Thanks for the welcome guys!! You rock

Hi Talbot, yes I will certainly add pictures soon , but something tells me my other half Pete ( aka BigPete) will beat me to putting pictures up, he has just joined too, probably wants to make sure he can get a word in edgewise while he can. He made the mistake of telling me I could have the last word on the boat. hehehe ;-)

Thanks too, to John and David really appreciate you taking the time to say hello. Being made to feel welcome is just lovely.

And 'Drinky' my fellow antipodean, we are from Victoria , but soon as possible ...heading North ; these cold winters are soul destroying.

cheers,

Gypsy
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 01:12   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Gypsy
There are quita few fellow aus who post on these fora (and a few kiwis as well but we wont talk about that).

My spiritual home is WA and 50% of my passports accept that!

Your talk of getting away from the cold, does ring a small bell with me! I shall escape for Xmas to WA.
Old 22-09-2008, 12:08   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gypsy,
Welcome aboard! I like your projects and hope you can convince Big Pete to keep at it and get that big boat in the water.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote