Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 13:37   #1

Boat: Tartan 26
Hello from the great white north

Hello all new user on a journey to sell it all and move to the water.
I look forward to interacting with the members here and gaining some insight as I embark on this new adventure.
whay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from the great white north

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, whay.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:39   #3

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

Welcome aboard!
Bring your sailboat down to Marco Island Florida for a nice warm winter. We are from the Lake St. Clair area in the summer.
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 19:05   #4

Thanks for the invite I Wish I could but work ties me here. We're currently in the process of chucking it all and moving on aboard in the spring. The search begins

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-12-2015, 17:52   #5

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Welcome! Sounds like an awesome journey!

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 18:58   #6

Doo - doo -doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo...
Doo - doo -doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo...

Welcome Crusers Forum, eh?
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 19:32   #7

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Welcome aboard,
It's a beauty way to go.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 08:42   #8

Update on the journey
About to sign the papers to sell the house. Going boat hunting this weekend.
We decided to buy a condo as well and depending on how the summer goes either renting it out or moving in for the winter.
This will be our primary residence for the summer and perhaps beyond. See if the wife enjoys it as much as I do.
Looking at several different boats and hoping someone can pass on any info about them.
Tartan offshore ketch is the one I most fancy.
C&C 38 landfall speaking to the broker has some deck issues.
C&C 40 aft cabin. Sale is pending but could fall through depending on survey.
A Hugh's aura 40' a little over my budget of 50 k Canadian
And a Pearson 40 which is across the lake in Buffalo at RCR yachts.
Our long term goal is to get a boat that will comfortably house the 2 of us and our 2 old huskies, sail nicely around Lake Ontario for the next 5 years then pulling up the anchor and globetrotting around the world. Something I could single hand if nessacery
Having reviewed the above boats and according to Tom Dove sail calculator they are all blue water capable.
If any other boats come to mind please mention them.

Thanks all

Old 16-03-2016, 08:50   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

My first reaction is that you are limiting your search to Lake Ontario and this is not a good idea. There just are not a lot of 'blue water' boats on the lake to choose from. When we were looking we checked out boats from Maine to Annapolis before finding our Bristol in eastern Connecticut. You will find that boats there are typically better-equipped than those on the lake. One problem with LO boats is that wear and tear is so limited that you will find 30+ year old boats with lots of working, original equipment. On the coast, especially New England boats are kept up to date, often with something close to an open cheque book. Boats greater than 40' under 50k loonies are likely to be pretty tired which means a lot more money and time needed to fix them up. Of the boats you list the C&Cs probably are best. The 40 might have much greater draft than you want for the lake or ICW.
Old 16-03-2016, 09:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
My first reaction is that you are limiting your search to Lake Ontario and this is not a good idea. There just are not a lot of 'blue water' boats on the lake to choose from. When we were looking we checked out boats from Maine to Annapolis before finding our Bristol in eastern Connecticut. You will find that boats there are typically better-equipped than those on the lake. One problem with LO boats is that wear and tear is so limited that you will find 30+ year old boats with lots of working, original equipment. On the coast, especially New England boats are kept up to date, often with something close to an open cheque book. Boats greater than 40' under 50k loonies are likely to be pretty tired which means a lot more money and time needed to fix them up. Of the boats you list the C&Cs probably are best. The 40 might have much greater draft than you want for the lake or ICW.
On the other hand a boat that spent 20-30 years in salt free environment and with a short season to boot is probably a better alternative to a salt water one. As far as electronics, unless the buyer is super lucky and finds a boat which had its electronics replaced very recently (less than 3-5 years), I don't see a big difference between 30 and 10-15 year old packages as both are candidates for replacement anyway.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 09:44   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I am torn about the advice to expand your search area since I'm not familiar with the Great Lakes area but am fairly sure there are a ton of boats for sale there. We were in NY and spent over 4 years (probably more like 7 years) looking for "the"boat. We had a particular type of boat in mind, not mainstream so they were as rare as hen's teeth.

We lived on Yachtworld and For Sale by Owner websites and traveled to
Rhode Is, Annapolis, Oriental NC, Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale, Marathon,San Diego, San Francisco, Poulsbo WA and Pender Harbour, British Columbia. In retrospect we wasted many thousands of dollars and weeks,perhaps months on this search and although we're very happy with what we ended up with I wouldn't recommend this as the best way to find a boat.

My point being you are in a huge boating area and there must be hundreds of boats that fit your criteria. Considering that you have narrowed your search to some pretty fine boats you should be able to limit the areas you search in to something a bit more reasonable than we did. I think, without realizing it at the time, "the search" became a hobby for us and delayed our actually buying the boat.

Good luck to you!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 10:23   #12

Hey to the great white north!! Welcome aboard! It's sound's like you have the dream and the way's and means to reach out and grab them. I wish you good luck on finding the right boat.
Fair Winds!!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 10:33   #13

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I think Ontario seems like a reasonable place to look for boats, considering C &C's and Hughes boats were built in Ontario. There are no shortage of boats by either manufacturer in excellent condition on Lake Ontario, especially around Toronto and Kingston.

Unless electronics were replaced within the last couple of years, they'll be obsolete by the time you head down south in 5 years. You don't need much in the way of electronics on Lake Ontario, the lake is like a fish bowl, for the most part deep right up to the shore.

Buying a boat for Lake Ontario based on soon to be obsolete electronics seems to be a mistake to me. Buy a boat in good shape, for Canadian dollars, close to home, without the need to pay import tarrifs. No need to go to salt water to buy a boat, have your currency killed by the exchange rate, pay Transport costs and pay import tarrifs including on electronics you really won't need for another 5 years.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:41   #14

So the saga continues. House is sold and we've moved to an apartment wife needs a land base for now.
Closing date is soon and once we have the cash it's time to kick some keels and get the boat of our dreams.
I here you all about expanding my search outside of Lake Ontario and to that note I think I might of found something of interest. Unfortunately it is sitting in Huntington New York. It,s a C&C 42 landfall and listed on POP yachts. Hoping that someone on here might have seen her or know a little more about her. Boat name is WhiteCap . From the photo and the little info I can gather on this particular boat it looks like a good fit for us. Price is right and well within our budget. So that being said if anyone has any inside on this boat please let me know. We were also looking at a person 35 and a CS 36 last weekend at the port credit boat show but they seemed to be a little on the small size. Oh and if anyone is looking for a tartan 26 she'll be up for sale soon.

WHAY

Old 24-07-2016, 07:40   #15

Boat bought
C&C 38 landfall
Picking her up from Kingston this week.