Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 08:07   #1

Boat: TBD
Hello from the Great Lakes

Hello everyone.

I've watched these boards for a better part of a year, but never registered as I dont have a lot to add. In fact, I dont even have a boat. I do have a lot of questions, and the people on this board seem very knowledgable and respectful, even for someone who has 'dumb' newbie questions like I am sure I will.

I have not purchased a boat, but feel I may this summer, so I wanted to register and start throwing out some of my basic questions on the respective boards. Start building my own knowledge base one plank at a time.

Sailing appeals to me on a lot of levels, both as a mode of transport to places I may otherwise never see, as well as a pastime in and of itself. I am starting with a bit of a disadvantage, though, as I know nobody who owns a sailboat (plenty of powerboat folks, but that never really appealed to me) and I dont really live near the sea, although I do live about a mile from Lake Winnebago (fair sized lake in central WI) and about 1/2 hour from Lake Michigan. I've looked around at some of the marinas and boat dealers in the area... nobody sails around these parts it seems. If it aint a power boat, nobody seems to have interest in it. May make boat repair/Sail repair, etc difficult, but those are a lot of the questions I am hoping you fine folks can help answer.

Best Regards and thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Chad
Badkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 08:22   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Welcome from another newbie. The folks on this site are incredible! As a new boat owner, they have patiently helped me with my many questions, even the stupid ones. This is a great community.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 14:49   #3
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Welcome mate , Im a newbie too but what the ol sea dogs give you.....keep !
Hope you find some water , the yacht will come later,the folk at CF will make sure of that . lol
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 17:18   #4

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"
Welcome Chad,

You will get plenty of knowledge here and alot of different opinions, which is good because it gives you choices.

I am somewhat of a newbie myself having sailed Lake Michigan for about 2 years.

Lake Winnebago should have plenty of marinas with sailboats and access to sailing schools. I have a sailboat at a marina in Kenosha. Not too far from you. Maybe this summer you can come out with us for a daysail.

Ray
rjrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 18:52   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chad,
Welcome aboard!
You can check the boat recommendations in the links behind my signature and the book recommendation.
regards,
Old 27-04-2010, 20:02   #6

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Welcome fellow Great Laker!

An area that may be of interest for you to check out is the city of Sturgeon Bay in Door county, about an hour or so NNE of you. Plenty of sailing happening there, in fact I bought my boat there back in November. Scenic area, too. May be a good place to wander thru and find a start. To get some experience you may try volunteering as crew during practice days with the local race fleet. Good luck!
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 20:19   #7
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Welcome! We're out of Waukegan- there are a good number of "salt-free" sailors here.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 21:48   #8

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Bayfield WI has hundreds of good size cruising boats and a thriving charter industry and is 284 miles from Appleton. Door County has hundreds of sailboats and Sturgeon Bay is about 75 miles from you. Lots of availability and lots of sail training opps. Also, there are any number of inland lakes around you that have ILYA (Inland Yachting Association) racing clubs with skips always looking for rail meat (crew). Just show up and tell 'em y'wanna sail. ILYA Member Clubs It's a great game and we in fly over country have some of the best sailing in the world but shhhh, we don't want to tell anyone about it.
sailstoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes