Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 03:56   #1

Hello from Sweden

The name is Oskar. Found this excellent forum a couple of days ago and must say it's really interesting reading.
I've been costal sailing since I was little. Last September I Crewed the Atlantic from Halifax, Canada, To Brest, France. Really nice experience where i guess we had most of the problems you will experience at sea. Ended up well though.
For the moment, me and my friend (first mate) are save some money to buy a boat in the US this Jan. Boat budget is 20 000$. The trip is planned to a roundabout in the Pacific ocean during 2009. If we decide so during the trip we'll head for a circumnavigate and hopefully en up in sweden, home sweet home.
Right now we're kind of into the Islanders, specially the Islander 36 that we find is a really good boat for that money. But, if someone have other boat suggestions that we must look into that's really welcoming.
I hope to find a lot of good reading here and hopefully some enthusiastic help from all of you
Ship ahoy
frelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:22   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Hello Frelin.
I see you've chosen warmer waters for your cruising! UK has not been good this summer either, I presume you get all the stuff that passes over Scotland?
Another dreary week forecast here after a non-rain day for MOST of Sunday but at least we're not getting the Hurricanes in the Gulf, just the tail end of it about a fortnight later so that's up to Xmas taken care of. We'll all be walking about in survival suits by then. What Global Warming? Oh, that's another thread!

I'm a Prout man from my brothers experiences, do go a look, preferably try a cat. Different but for relaxed cruising it's not as bad as a caravan and a lot better than a wobbly mono but's that's preference. Nine out of ten female partners prefer them! if the Captain can afford them.

Whatever you do enjoy your sailing. Diesel prices are recovering a little and are unlikely to go above 130 a barrel as that's where other sources become viable so choice is quite good, prices are at a bit of alow too.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:27   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome, Oskar!

Good to have you on the Forum! You'll find a lot of information in the posts archived here, and a lot of helpful answers to your questions. Good luck finding your dream boat.
Old 08-09-2008, 20:30   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Frelin,
Welcome aboard! I too like Islanders. The Islander Freeport 36 does have some hull to deck join issues (not all - just some) so be aware of that when you take a look at them. All the older Islanders generally need to have their hatches and ports rebedded so count on that as a project if it hasn't been done by a recent owner.
Good luck in your search
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 00:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hello Oskar - My Maxi 77 is a Pelle Pederson designed Swedish boat. Although it is very likely she was laid up here in Singapore.

Good luck on your boat search and your travels.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sweden