Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 06:24   #1

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
Hello From Singapore - Just Purchased First Yacht

Hello CruisersForum. Long time lurker, first post. After checking YachtWorld Every week for 2 years and finally convincing my wife we just purchased our first yacht today. I started sailing in college 15 years ago and immediately loved it. Since graduation I have always wanted to get back on the water and life has finally allowed it. My wife is more or less new to the sport, but she is adventurous and will keep me grounded (err, wrong term to use on this forum?). Now my wife, 2 boys (3 and 5 years) and I will all learn together in the waters around Singapore before setting off on longer voyages.

Some of you may know S/V Elessar as she was for sale on CF a couple years ago (feels strange calling a boat with a male name her/she). I don't have any good pictures yet, but Elessar is a 44 foot Dromor Athena and you can see the old add here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-165284.html

She needs some TLC as she has been sitting on a mooring with almost no use for 2 years. I've already got a long list of projects that will lead to additional threads:
  • Remove about 2 tons worth of random stuff that is not needed, at least for now. I don't think the weight is an exaggeration, Elessar has 3 years worth of cruising gear that is just wasting away on the boat (e.g. welder and sewing machine will be moved inside my house)
  • A good clean
  • Replace all seacocks, will most likely use Truedesign and some of the 13 through hulls will get filled
  • anti fouling
  • replace all teak on deck, will most likely use Nuteak. Area is tiny but there are about 16 small pieces
  • reconnect AIS (required in Singapore)
  • replace refrigerator compressor
  • replace baby stay which is slightly frayed
  • fix one of the toilets
  • resew minor seam on main sail
  • install float switch on bilge pump
  • get oven working (stove works fine...)
  • install 12v fans in all the cabins
  • Buy dinghy, most likely folding as Elessar has no davits and the baby stay makes storage on deck difficult

The big repair will be the Lombardini 48hp engine with 5,000 hours. It was suffering from sitting and had some issues during the survey, but seems to be running OK now and the condition was considered in the price. I hope I can use the current engine for a while but will most likely replace with a 52HP Yanmar before going offshore.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking everyone for advice on this and that!
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:45   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello From Singapore - Just Purchased First Yacht

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SpaceRnglr.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:46   #4

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Welcome, wish I had known some people when I was there!
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, Singapore, yacht