Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 17:34   #1

Boat: Cape George 38
Hello from Seattle, WA

Hello All - I've been sailing since I was a teenager and love being on the water! I've been on this site many times over the years but just now finally got around to registering. I've owned my trusty Cape George 38 for 28 years. Just saying that makes me feel pretty old! I've mostly sailed around the Pacific Northwest, but am looking forward to finally heading south for warmer waters. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you! My home port is Seattle, Washington.

Tim Whelan
svpatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:24   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello from Seattle, WA

Welcome to the forum Tim. I did Mexico for 3 years on my Hallberg-Rassy 35. It was a nice break from the Northern Ca. winters.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:52   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Greetings Tim and welcome aboard.

Love those Cape George boats. But, I am biased - I work at the factory.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 15:02   #4

Hi Celestialsailor, thank you for the welcome! Your trip to Mexico is exactly what I have in mind - I'm planning to exit the PNW next Aug/Sept and head south for about a year. I think if I can survive the trip from Neah Bay to your neck of the woods I should be good to go;-). I'm envious of your Whitehall - what a beautiful dinghy! I have Eastport Pram love rowing it, but I'm guessing your Whitehall brings the experience to another level. Best-Tim
Old 05-10-2022, 15:13   #5

Man oh man, what a beauty of a boat; the Cape George!
Welcome.
Pics are required.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 15:23   #6

Hi Steve, thank you for the welcome! I have to admit I'm a bit addicted to your videos! I love the anchor tests (sticking with my 66lb bruce for now), but I think my absolute favorites were the Rebuilding Panope vids. What a cool story.

I think you told me once in a youtube comment you worked at Cape George. Crazy craftmanship... I'm not surprised you work there! Thank you again for the welcome and I'm keeping my eye out for Panope.
Best-Tim
Old 05-10-2022, 15:35   #7

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Welcome, Tim, from north of the border. We cruise out of Campbell River in the northern part of the Strait of Georgia. May see you out there before you head south. I'm wondering when the summer's going to end here ... thinking about more cruising instead of winterizing the boat.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 15:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatience View Post
Hello All - I've been sailing since I was a teenager and love being on the water! I've been on this site many times over the years but just now finally got around to registering. I've owned my trusty Cape George 38 for 28 years. Just saying that makes me feel pretty old! I've mostly sailed around the Pacific Northwest, but am looking forward to finally heading south for warmer waters. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you! My home port is Seattle, Washington.

Tim Whelan
Welcome aboard from a fellow central sound cruiser out of Port Orchard here .
Old 05-10-2022, 17:05   #9

Hi Cheechako, thank you for the welcome! I used to keep Patience up in Skyline and really miss spending time up in Skagit and Anacortes. Much more normal pace of life compared to down here in Seattle.

I've got pictures!! The craftsmen up in Cape George know how to make a beautiful boat. Maintenance/upkeep is a never ending process, but I try to do her justice.

Best-Tim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patience_Watmough_8-2021_2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	265366

Name:	Patience_Griffin_Bay_082020.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	265367

Name:	Patience_Destruction_Island_0520.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	265368
Old 05-10-2022, 17:24   #10

Hi desodave! Guessing I know what the "deso" means in your neighborhood;-). Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been through Campbell River a few times on my way north. Lovely stretch of the world. Work/Covid have kept me further south the last 3-4 years, but I'm hoping to make it up next summer.

Many years ago I was in Campbell River, and my crew take a bus for a wedding in Victoria and I was left singlehanding. I pulled out of Campbell River on an ebb with a big ole southerly blowing. Holy crap did I get it handed to me out to the south of Cape Mudge! It took me hours to claw away from the Cape - all I remember is going up and down. To top it off, the engine started overheating later that afternoon. I ended up sailing to Comox and pulling into the marina at something like 2am-exhausted. Replaced the water pump the next day and life was good again.
Best-Tim
Old 05-10-2022, 17:37   #11

Hi newhaul - thank you, its good to be here! It's kind of crazy but I've never actually gone to Port Orchard by boat. I've been meaning to try out the new(er)/remodeled marina at Bremerton for a while. It seems like it would be a fun weekend trip?

Non illigitamus carborundum - I had to google this. No sh*t!!!

Best-Tim
Old 07-10-2022, 11:52   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatience View Post
Hi desodave! Guessing I know what the "deso" means in your neighborhood;-). Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been through Campbell River a few times on my way north. Lovely stretch of the world. Work/Covid have kept me further south the last 3-4 years, but I'm hoping to make it up next summer.

Many years ago I was in Campbell River, and my crew take a bus for a wedding in Victoria and I was left singlehanding. I pulled out of Campbell River on an ebb with a big ole southerly blowing. Holy crap did I get it handed to me out to the south of Cape Mudge! It took me hours to claw away from the Cape - all I remember is going up and down. To top it off, the engine started overheating later that afternoon. I ended up sailing to Comox and pulling into the marina at something like 2am-exhausted. Replaced the water pump the next day and life was good again.
Best-Tim
You're welcome. And accurate "guessing" !! You've discovered that Cape Mudge and SE'ers do not go together well ... you should see the haystack when a strong SE meets a Discovery Passage flood, preferably from shore. Good sailing... we'll look for you next summer.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 19:09   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CF.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle