I’m finally joining the forum after having spent countless hours pouring over useful advice
and entertaining discussions here.
My wife and I are in our mid to late thirties and recently bought our first boat
a 1979 Cape Dory
36. After a few years of sailing in clubs on SF Bay
and a few bareboat
trips in the Caribbean
we decided we missed the freedom of owning our own boat
. We are now hard at work
sprucing up “La Baleine” but also make plenty of time to sail her on the SF Bay
and to our local coastal spots.
“La Baleine” was a bit of a fixer upper when we got her about a year ago but we’ve been hard at work
and absolutely love working on and improving our boat (not to mention sailing her). I frequently come here looking for advice
relevant to our projects and with time I can hopefully share a thing or two I have learned along the way!
So far some of the DIY
projects we have finished;
- Transmission Replacement
- New rope clutches
- New gray water plumbing and installation of macerator pump
- Replaced the bob-stay backing plate
- Made a stack-pack Sailbag
- New Upholstey for the interior
- Refinished the cabin sole
- Repainted the deck non-skid
- Wet sanded and polished all gelcoat.
- Rebuilt the Sherwood G65 water pump
- Installed new i70 instrument and transducer
- and much much more...😅