Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2020, 11:19   #1

Hello from San Francisco!

Hi all,

My wife and I just got our ASA103 cert last week and we are so excited to step into this new water world! Eventually we plan to sail around the world someday. By looking at the number of threads and posts here, it's going to be a long learning experience before that goal comes to fruition. You all are an inspiration!

Best wishes,
Armchaircruiser oz
armchaircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 13:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from San Francisco!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Armchaircruiser.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 14:31   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchaircruiser View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I just got our ASA103 cert last week and we are so excited to step into this new water world! Eventually we plan to sail around the world someday. By looking at the number of threads and posts here, it's going to be a long learning experience before that goal comes to fruition. You all are an inspiration!

Best wishes,
Armchaircruiser oz
I took my first ASA course at Modern Sailing in Sausalito in 2014. I have since sailed 30k miles around the world to the East Coast. In another year I will start on my way to finish the trip.

Get out there as often as you can, and it won't seem to take very long at all.
Old 31-10-2020, 14:07   #4

Cool! That's where I got my training, Modetn Sailing, my instructor was Stephen Spoja. Great fun!
Old 31-10-2020, 16:42   #5

Boat: Grampian 26

Welcome from Ontario Canada!
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 04:37   #6

I also did my ASA through modern. Sailed every other weekend on their club boats. I see they have a nice seawind 1160 now. Either that wasn’t there before or i was blind to cats back then. Would love to try out the seawind. Enjoy the bay! There was a couple of months where we saw whale breach 10-100 feet from the boat almost every time we went out.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 19:02   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada.
I have a similar dream to retire in 15 years and solo sail a lap into retired life. I plan to spend my seasons on my little 26 footer training for that big sail.
Can't wait to hear of your adventures!
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:40   #8

So cool! Hit me up if you need a crew.
Old 23-11-2020, 10:53   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Bula from Fiji Armchaircruiser.

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from the forum and that benefits in helping you to achieve your rtw plans. Fantastic that you've made a start.

But hey, get off that couch and join a club and go sailing as much as you can. Every skipper is looking for crew and it's a great way to gain experience, see all the ways that boats are configured and meet people with a similar interest. Some of those old salts have some pretty good stories too.

Also do feel free to post your own thoughts, questions and ideas. The forum only works when people post, and 95% of members here seem reluctant. Don't be a lurker. Also fill in your profile so we all know something about you.
What's the connection to Oz? Is that Oz as in Ozstralia?
Old 06-12-2020, 08:27   #10

Boat: Amel Meltem 53' (in the Med)

hey, welcome. I live in San Francisco and sailed all my life. We have Santana 22 in the Marina and I still race actively my Laser.
Great place to learn, plenty (too much in the summer) of wind, fascinating location (especially the 6 months of summer: fog in the morning, then blue sky, then 15-25 knots in the afternoon, then no wind after 7 pm). Everyday is more of less the same.
My biggest problem is the cold water. You try to sail in a warm locale without your oilies, in places where you anchor and just in the water with no worries or questions about whether or not you need to dip your toes first, then the neck, etc...
Lots of people sail in San Francisco. Get into racing with low key boats / beercan series every night in the summer. Friendly, low key, make some friends, learn a lot.
Enjoy!
Gibbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Congrats! There's some of the best and among the most challenging sailing just outside the Gate when you're ready. But you can spend your whole sailing life inside the Bay and never regret it. The only problem is that it makes anything less than 20 knots of wind feel a little too tame Have fun and be safe out there.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco