Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 22:14   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Hello from San Diego

Hello!

My boyfriend and I moved aboard our 36' Han Christian two weeks ago. It's been a little rough adjusting (for me anyway but we're getting used to it pretty quickly.) We're docked in San Diego.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Best,
Charlotte

Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - The Saga of the Rebel Heart
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 22:48   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Charlotte,

Welcome aboard.
I use to live aboard in Mission Bay at the foot of the (once) Islandia Hotel. Fortunately, we had shower rights at the pool area as well as other beni's.

I did a quick check on your site and really understand you concerns. We had a storage space a short ways from the marina and every weekend my wife would change out a series of clothes to last the week or more so she didn't wear the same thing every week. (She worked for Lawyers) I guess Sunday afternoon was our logistics day. We would go to the coin-op laundry, swap out clothes and do some grocery shopping, with modifications sometimes.

This was back in the early 80's. I'm surprised one can still live aboard in SD. After a couple years it seems to get old. But the sacrifice is all worth it. I wish I could go back. But I've lost my slip.

A Han Christian is a nice boat but a bit on the crowded side as far as live aboard’s go. But it will make a nice cruiser if you ever decide to head out.

The best thing is to associate with other boaties and leave the homies just to family, if that can be helped. And do take the boat out often. It keeps the boat in a sailing mode rather then turning into a barge.

Enjoy..............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Charlotte,
Welcome aboard!! You have a great boat to liveaboard and cruise when the time comes. I used to own a home in Chula Vista and sailed out of Coronado many years ago. I'm certain SD area has grown since the 70s but hope it hasn't become too awfully big.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39   #4

Hello,

Delmarrey, it's nice to hear from a former San Diego liveaboard. It's still very possible to live aboard in San Diego. Our slip fee, plus mortgage puts us at the average rate for a 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego, so we figured we'd stop paying for two households and move aboard. We plan to sail around the world in 5 years.

The clothes issue is starting to work itself out. It's just strange to have to think ahead so much, to iron in advance, bring everything you need with you up to the showers, etc.

SkiprJohn, San Diego is still an awesome town. Our marina is in Point Loma, but we love getting a chance to cruise by Glorietta Bay when time permits.

Hello to you both!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:28   #5

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Hey Red,
Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger. I too lived in SD, well, Chula Vista like SkiprJ- went to Hilltop High, surfed, all the good stuff a kid should do there- like getting stuck by a stingray at CORONADO Beach! WOW... that thing almost killed me, until I went to Balboa hospital.
If you guys ever get bored with the Cali thing you could always try the "right side" for awhile!
Old 09-07-2007, 21:41   #6

West Coat por vida!

Nice to meet you too Bear

Tags
san diego