Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 15:51   #1

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Hello from Ontario :)

Hi everyone,

After lurking for quite a while and chiming in on a few technical threads, I figure I may as well make a proper introduction.

I'm one of those wanna-be cruisers. I'm sure you know the kind- the one who knows and loves boats, but has too many other commitments to get out there just yet. Or, perhaps more accurately, I'm the type who can't get out very far or for very long just yet.

My current boat Sunset Chaser, a Phil Bolger runabout I built in '00-'01, serves quite well for what most of you will probably consider a rather primitive form of cruising: camping on shore (in a tent!), cruising from lock to lock or island to island, relying a bit too much on shore-side facilities. Between the Rideau Canal (right next door and simply beautiful) and the fact that I can easily tow this boat with my old Hyundai, even this simple form of cruising offers much pleasure.

Currently on the drawing board is an eight-metre power trimaran that will (hopefully) take over as our cruising boat. She doesn't have a name yet, but will be a unique vessel, equally at home bashing into a force 6 on Lake Ontario as she'll be when loaded down with building supplies on cottage lakes or when anchored in some remote cove for a weekend getaway with my wife. And I have a suspicion that, as soon as this one hits the water, something much larger and longer-legged will take its place on the shop floor.

You can expect to find me dropping in on the technical forums now and then (we engineers can't stay away from wiring and engines), and of course I'll keep on lurking- and dreaming- in the destinations and lifestyle areas.

Cheers,
-Matt-
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum. Phil Bolger designed some very clever, unique boats and your new power-tri also sounds like an attempt to meet your needs with a rather unique design. Good for you!

Anyway, looking foward to your contributions to the forum and to perhaps seeing you out on the water.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 16:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Welcome to the good ship CF....
Hey... sailing is sailing be it 'Creek Crawling' or 'Blue Water Sailing'.. its another day on the water and enjoying the sensation...
The second you get to the dock and go to step on your boat..

The world stops and lets you get off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
After lurking for quite a while and chiming in on a few technical threads, I figure I may as well make a proper introduction.
Here you are - Welcome! Best not to name boats until you launch them. In between things change. You could still come up with a better name.

I grew up on Lake Ontario. If you can handle that, you should be good to go where you mean to.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57   #5

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Thanks for the kind welcome, guys And, Brad- we're only about 80 km apart; perhaps I'll see you out on the lake sometime.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Look forward to it Matt, although I don't sail out of Belleville but a little further east.
cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 11:20   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and posting. Run some ideas around the forum. Usually you'll be given some good advice along with some opinions. Its fun to sort them out from time to time.
regards,

Tags
ontario