Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23   #1

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Hello from Norway

I have enjoyed reading some of the threads posted on this great website! Therefore I have joined to read and put in my 2 bob worth of experience.

I have been to and from West Australia and my native Norway over the past 12 years, thoroughly enjoying sailing in both very adverse climates! Not to mentioned the diving, I miss the WA warm waters a lot!

I have sailed for 40 years after my father got me into building and sailing a small dingy similar to an Optimist. I have had a number of different yachts and launches over the years but are now a faithful cruising catamaran sailor but still enjoy racing mono's! But the family will never go back into mono's after the first trip on the Athena. Fast level and comfy is a requirement!

I have both raced and cruised with catamarans and are now in the process of buing my second Fountaine Pajot! The first was the Athena 38 and now the Belize 43.

My day job as an electrical/instrument engineer pays for the fun and I enjoy the trials and tribulations of completing the construction of large oil&gas installations.

For the time being southern Norway is my home port and the plan is to charter Lucky in my times off work and do some local cruising of the wonderful arkipelagoes in this parts of Norway and Sweden.

As a keen multihull sailer the discussions around safety and cruising with pros and cons of various yachts is closed to my heart. Therefore looking forward to partisipate in those and many other discussion treads.

Happy leadfree sailing!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Happy leadfree sailing!
Hi and welcome aboard.
This board was started by a Norwegian, and another Norwegian is constantly making noise around here. (me )

We have a few Aussies, some Kiwis, some Canuts, Brits and Yanks and all that, but Norskes are indeed the minority.

Aye Leadfree sailing?
I agree, prefer concrete in my keel, keeps the slimy side down.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:02   #3

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Hi MAN,

Thanks for the welcome!

Nothing wrong with concrete I've been using it in the slab for the house! Joke aside, concrete I believe, is probably one of the best materials vs. cost you can use to build a boat, if done in a proper way.

Well, wish I were in Ft Lauderdale rather than Hammerfest the most notherly city in the world, close to 71 deg N. I meter of snow and gale force winds. Luckily I'm inside!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lucky,
Welcome aboard!! It sounds as if you'll have a lot to contribute to the forum and I look forward to your posts. There are a lot of great people who share their knowledge here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17   #5

Quote:
Joke aside, concrete I believe, is probably one of the best materials vs. cost you can use to build a boat
Aye mate, concrete is not what my ship is built from, but the keel is full of it.

Ya wanne talk concrete boats, go and see Mr. Alan Wheeler, he is the Ferro-Guru on the board..

Hammerfest?
Hmm, way too far North for this Sun-Shine boy.
That being said, I was in Bodø last week.
Had dinner on an 84' mine sweeper converted into a yacht.
Also drank beer on a 100' sailboat in Bodø harbor. Too windy and dark to go sailing...Also too rainy and too cold.

My hat of to the boys up North who live on their boats.

My boat ya see will never sail North of 26N. The course usually goes to them Bahamian Islands. Gentle breezes, blue skies and lots of sunshine.

See ya all there.
Old 11-02-2007, 18:27   #6
cruiser

Ahhh... so that's it.... us Norwegians are noisy AND like to sail? I'm half Irish half Norwegian myself. Welcome aboard!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 21:00   #7

Quote:
I'm half Irish half Norwegian myself.
Half 'n half, no fat...?

Aye mate, only the Irish drink more than the Norwegians..

Although I am trying to change that.

Yup, we are noisy and we sail.
In fact my great grand something discovered this here colony, now called the US.
Columbus was not even in his dad's ball's back then, not his grand-grand either. (Screw them newbie yuppies anyway, they navigated the wrong way to find India, then claimed they found it anyway...West Indies..Gimme a break amateurs.)

Uh, what was this thread about?

New Norwegians on the board?
Sounds good, don't lay low in the terrain, don't be politically correct, don't give in to the masses....

Tags
Norway