Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2022, 11:08   #1

Boat: Finngulf 38
Hello from Norway

Hi, Bought my Finngulf 38 in 2018, lived in it since. Planning on leaving Norway fall next year following the wind, currents and stars.
bsbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 18:03   #2

Re: Hello from Norway

God rejse, Du :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 18:08   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

More Norwegians..Great

(This board was started by a Norwegian back in the day, but the yanks slowly took over and now they rule it)
Old 28-10-2022, 19:16   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CF.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 22:43   #5

Thanks, and Num Me Vexo? I have the impression most people think a selfie is the
remedy for that. Add some likes and you are god to go : -))
Old 29-10-2022, 03:10   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Well Mr. Bear "Num Me Vexo?" is Latin for "What me worry?", which is the catch-phrase of Alfred E Neuman the fictitious figurehead for the former "Mad" magazine, a comedy/satirical magazine in the USA. Mad apparently continues to exist in an online format. It's a bit of an in-joke for US citizens of a certain age.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman
https://www.madmagazine.com/

More obscurely the Latin translation is reference to where I went to college at the University of Washington in Seattle.
https://magazine.washington.edu/long...olved-at-last/
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 02:30   #7

Hi, Num Me Vexo. I tried googletranselator and got "I see myself", so that is the reason for the selfie comment ; -)) Otherwise if I try Latin translation I get "Do you bother me"? So i go for the Georg Washington version since he have had several ships named after him. The first a 160-ton schooner named Endeavor, acquired by Gen. Washington in 1775, fitted out and re-rigged as a brigantine, and served in 1775. The second Washington, a row galley, served from 1776–1778. The third a lateen-rigged, two-masted galley, also served in 1776. The fourth Washington, a ship-of-the-line, served from 1815–1843. The fifth Washington, a revenue cutter, served from 1833–1837. The sixth Washington, also a revenue cutter, served from 1837–1861. And then todays USS Georg Washington from 1990.
Old 30-10-2022, 03:55   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Norway showed up for Canadas 150th Birthday in a replica of Lief Ericsson’s boat, the boat which found Canada in 1098. Norway is our oldest ally. We love ya.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 04:34   #9

Hi, here is another article in Norwegian (use google transelate) on another Viking adventure, not Canada, but Iceland.

https://leksikon.fylkesarkivet.no/ar...-56a4b732beb2/

A friend of mine was expedition leader and commander, and I've seen a film from the crossing.

In 1974, Iceland celebrated the 1100th anniversary of the first landing. The year 874 is considered to be the year that Ingolv Arnarson from Rivedal in Sunnfjord settled in Iceland. One of the anniversary initiatives was sponsored by a group of Norwegian Nordland boat enthusiasts. They sailed from Rivedal to Reykjavik in two "Fembøring" - in the wake of Ingolv Arnarson.
Old 30-10-2022, 07:31   #10

Ah, Björn! Translating from Latin to English is as full of pitfalls as translating from Nynorsk to Danish :-)

Am I right that your name really takes the diacritic :-)?

I think a better translation of num me vexo is "am I worried?", and I'm even prepared to justify that, tho' I see no need. As Adelie has pointed out, the "motto" of Alfred E. Neuman was meant as a joke in any event, as was the character. An American joke and an academic American joke, but a joke nevertheless :-)

It ranks right up there with an admonition that those of us who sail in climates less benign than that of California do well to heed: "[I]Semper ubi, sub ubi!".

Congratulations on your boat. Lovely! Even if it IS about a far from a femböring as you can possibly get :-). One of our moderators is a Dane sailing a modern boat. He and his wife came by this remote colony this summer on an extended, very extended, multi-year cruise out of København. So if you feel inclined, and you have the required sailing skills, come by here, give me a heads up, and I will show you fascinating history of how this 'ere corner of the Empire was settled by your countrymen and mine. "Scowegians" were everywhere because fishing and forestry are the activities that built British Columbia sustained her. There were Finns too, and no-one understood a word they were saying, but they did leave us the oldest, still operating co-operative society still functioning on this 'ere continent in a little island settlement called Sointula.

Because place names here are preponderantly names from the glory days of the Royal Navy, I will now suggest to you, as I suggested to my fellow moderator, that you read (or re-read) Ibsen's Terje Vigen. You will understand that as an FDP (Former Danish Person) I am somewhat "conflicted";-0)!

Meanwhile for Old Times sake:-):

TrentePieds
Old 30-10-2022, 09:45   #11

TrentePieds, thanks for a "life altering text", challenging my latin and english skills.

Yes Ö and Ø same letter as in dänish Æ Ø Å

And the saying "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing" goes as a general rule. Underwear or not.

In my homeplace we have had a lot of danes attending this school: https://www.fosen.fhs.no/en/boat-building/ or https://www.fosen.fhs.no/en/sailing/

These activities was initiaded by the same man who facilitated the 1974 sailing to Iceland. He was also involved in creating https://kystensarv.no/en also lokated in mid norway.

I will add you island to one of my destinations to visit.

Yes he was rowing to denmark, to buy food for his family, but is captured by the English navy, his boat sunk, and imprisoned for 5 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terje_Vigen

I like to add this musical favourite from Denmark
Old 30-10-2022, 11:03   #12

Touché :-)!

Dissing was my contemporary, but "Kaffen er Klar" postdates my departure from Denmark by something like forty years. My time there was characterized by Folkebaade on the water and by Osvald Helmuth ashore. I take it that the point you are making by contrasting "Amanda" with "Kaffen" is that what Norwegians and Danes treasure are entirely different things :-)

You'll forgive me if I much prefer Kyrkjebø to Dissing. Easier both on the ear and on the eye!

Not to mention Osvald:

Are you associated with Fosen Folkehøgskole?

It might please you to know that in the glory days of fishing on this coast, perhaps the foremost builder of wooden fishing boats of all types was Frostad's Shipyard on the Fraser River. I do not know it for a certainty, but I shouldn't wonder that "Old Man Frostad" was intimately connected with the Frostads of Vestnes. I have stood on the ways of Frostad's yard on the Fraser many an hour totally lost in admiration :-)

Cheers!

TP
Old 30-10-2022, 23:17   #13

Hi, the school is in my homplace, not very involved.

Frostad name in boats https://www.yachtingworld.com/races/...-leaving-67685

I take it that the point you are making by contrasting "Amanda" with "Kaffen" is that what Norwegians and Danes treasure are entirely different things :-)

Not really, more the song represent my image of laid back and easy going Danes,
enjoying life and a morning coffe.
Old 31-10-2022, 05:17   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Hi, the school is in my homplace, not very involved.
Aha, you are from Rissa?
I was born and raised across the fjord from you, Trondheim.
Great place in the summer, winters over there on the other hand, are not very user friendly to say the least..
Which is why I bought a sailboat in St. Thomas 37 years ago and have enjoyed sunshine and palm trees ever since and will be unable to move back. (Blood is too thin and the beer too expensive)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:25   #15

Hi, yes lucky to be born in mid Norway. But, you do not miss much, exept maybe all the water falling from the sky? I can also mention that i have a wooden boat for sailing, named Lotus, vertue build nr. 55 VertueYachts.com https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=115468603 currently under restoration

Tags
Norway