Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 09:47   #1

Boat: Westsail 28
Hello from Newport,OR

Just joined this forum. I see lots of referrals to it while perusing postings on the SSCA site so I figured I might as well join up. My wife and I currently live aboard our Westsail 28, Siempre Sabado, in Newport, Oregon. Had planned to be on our way to Mexico by now but boat projects took longer and cost more than we hoped. So, we'll winter over in the Pacific Northwest rain and wind and head south next summer.

-Steve Yoder
Yoders Afloat
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:19   #2

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Welcome aboard! My wife and I spent a long week with a broken shaft coupling, etc., in Newport on my down to Mexico. I felt a bit like a troll living under a bridge. The Rogue Brewery was right there so it was good once the work stopped for the day.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:39   #3

Welcome syoder. Hope your plans pan out and such. If you have any questions about your projects, this is the place to bring them up...lots of knowledge in these pages!
Old 13-10-2009, 11:49   #4

Boat: Cascade
Welcome !

I spent some time there this summer and managed to watch a large 50' trawler get pulled off the beach after missing the entrance to the jetties....what a mess.... what a big operation
Old 13-10-2009, 17:12   #5

Tareua: was it recently (like this summer) that you were in Newport with the broken shaft? Were you on J dock? If so, we probably walked by and saw your boat. Where'd you get your shaft fixed?

Solitude: Are you talking about the crab boat that went ashore on Nye Beach? We watched that operation, too. Apparently the helmsman fell asleep on the way back to port after a fishing trip. Talked to some folks who said that isn't unusual among the commercial fleet. They work really long hours and then get sort of sleepy on the way home. Seeing as how the Oregon coast is more rock than sandy beaches, I'd have to count this skipper as pretty darn lucky. Have heard of fishing boats where the crew fell asleep and the autopilot, trying to get them home, ran them right up on the jetty. Not good.
Old 13-10-2009, 18:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Steve,
Welcome aboard! I knew a Yoder in the Navy quite awhile back. Newport isn't such a bad place. My brothers, nephews and nieces have been to the aquarium recently and had a great time. The family is originally from Salem.
Westsails are great boats.
regards,
Old 13-10-2009, 23:03   #7

SkiprJohn;

Maybe it was me that you knew. I was in the Navy from 1969-1973: boot camp in San Diego, FT"A" school at Mare Island and then 3+ years aboard the USS Tolovana AO-64.

I'm currently training to be a volunteer at the Aquarium to help pass the winter months. The stuff I learn will make re-reading "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" a lot more interesting when we finally get there next summer.

Newport's a good town once you get past letting the weather bother you.

-Steve
Old 14-10-2009, 11:17   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Steve,
I guess maybe but 69-73 I was in and around Saigon, then USS Orleck (DD886), then to Germany in 71. I was at Mare Island on the Orleck for a few months so maybe our paths crossed. Did you have any brothers, cousins, uncles USN?
Maybe my memory will allow me to bring it up if I reboot.
Anyway, thanks for serving.
regards
Old 18-10-2009, 08:15   #9

Welcome to the forum Steve, hope you'll be able to help those that frequently ask "Could my wife and I sail away on a 28 foot boat and live happily ever after?" I am sure you have some great experiences to share. Good luck this winter, lots of pretty country to explore while waiting out the season.
Old 18-10-2009, 11:53   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum
I almost bought a 28 westsail (Laraday out of Palacios, TX) great boat, the hardware on her was true works of art - strong! But the boat was just too much of a project for me. Have fun sailing that beautiful vessel and again welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 17:18   #11

Thanks Erika. You have fine taste in boats. You're right about the hardware. The rigging on the W28 (a 13,500 lb boat) is the same size as is used on the Westsail 32 (at around 20,000 lbs). Gives one a nice secure feeling.

-Steve