Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 00:51   #1

Hello From Newbies David and Tracey

Hello to Cruisers,

My wife and I have recently purchased the plans for a 2012 Waller catamaran from a guy in New Zealand who has completed some of the hull structure. I am stuck in a hotel in London ATM waiting on a place in New Zealand quarintine so I have not had a chance to view the hulls. (Stuck??? Well there are worse places to be stuck)... Although I bought it around 3 months ago.
I am a fishing vessel captain I have a Master V (Aust) ticket. I am a New Zealander. My wife is a qualified chef. I am currently working on 200m log ships and are returning home from a voyage but have not made it yet. I have had my share on disaster situations and haver been in two Cyclones/Typhoons/Huricanes and have bypast many on the ships without actually needing to go right through them.

Try as I might to find a Cat for sale that is that is the same as the one I purchased and I have not found anything. It's Waller 1200 its 12m long and 6.5m wide. I am tring to determine the vessels worth once the build is finished. It is a plywood glass construction. It seems that it is a very good design and is really good in rough weather and big seas. There is a video on you tube from the mid 90's of several yachts that were in a huge storm off the nortyhern tip of New Zealand in the mid 90's there was a plywood yacht around 40ft which did not roll or sink that was salvaged after and it's for all intentions still sailing. Not the same deisgner but of very similar weight, design and construction.

We are both new to sailing but I have been on boats since the age of 14 just not sail boats in fact I have never yet been on a ship with a sail apart from a Dutch sail boat on the wharf in Amsterdam outside the National Museum. It is still in use. Its a remake of a early model Cutter and now has hydrolic sail winches and modern electronics. So we are relativly green to sailing in that respect.

Our intention is to build it and take it out in light winds learning as we go to reef, haul, hove to ect. (I have done some reading). Then go out in stronger winds as our experience increases. There is no shortage of wind in New Zealand. We are a few years from retirement so this will be our other home as we eventually navigate the world.

Regards, David and Tracey
Chrispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello From Newbies David and Tracey

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David & Tracey.

You might be interested in this older thread:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-227810-2.html

http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/wal1200.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
race