Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 22:33   #1

Hello from New Zealand

Hi Cruisers,

After dreaming about it for twenty years, my wife and I are finally looking seriously at buying our own yacht and spending too many of our days on the water.

Originally from Australia, we made it to New Zealand just before COVID started, and are lucky enough to currently live in Wellington, not far from the Marlborough Sounds. We’re looking forward to exploring the New Zealand coast to build up our skills until the world opens up again, and head off into the sunset in a couple of years time.

Looking forward to reading all your posts; any and all advice gratefully accepted!
Alistair_Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:06   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Hello from New Zealand

Welcome. You’re in a great sailing area. Watch out - once you get a boat your land friends and garden will both suffer
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Welcome to the forum Alistair,
Its a great plan IMO. To me sailing/cruising adventures are right up there in the best life experiences. BUT that depends on your experience. For some people seasickness rules it out totally. Others + 60 knts makes the EPIRB their best friend.

No detail about yr experience. If you are complete newbies I'd recommend crewing on some boats first.
There are people happy to help you here but give us some more details to narrow down advice.
NZ coast will school you up good, especially around Cook Straight.
I say again cruising is really good if you are suited to it but we need to know what you are like.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alistair.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 17:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Welcome to the forum Alistair,
Its a great plan IMO. To me sailing/cruising adventures are right up there in the best life experiences. BUT that depends on your experience. For some people seasickness rules it out totally. Others + 60 knts makes the EPIRB their best friend.

No detail about yr experience. If you are complete newbies I'd recommend crewing on some boats first.
There are people happy to help you here but give us some more details to narrow down advice.
NZ coast will school you up good, especially around Cook Straight.
I say again cruising is really good if you are suited to it but we need to know what you are like.
Thank you for your welcome message. I’ve updated my profile with a short biography.

It’s been a while since I last sailed, but before moving to New Zealand I spent many weekends crewing aboard the J130 Ragtime for the Division One races at RQYS in Brisbane, and more than a few Wednesday afternoons for social races.

In terms of training, I’ve completed a range of courses in Australia including the Safety and Sea Survival Course (SSSC), the Marine Radio Operators course, and the RYA Diesel Engine and Essential Navigation and Seamanship courses.

My wife and I also both held Recreational Marine Driver Licences (RMDL) with Personal Watercraft (PWC) endorsements. We’re planning to refresh our knowledge with Coastguard New Zealand courses.
Alistair_Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 19:13   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome my Commonwealth brethren, from Ontario Canada [emoji846]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 04:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair_Grant View Post
It’s been a while since I last sailed, but before moving to New Zealand I spent many weekends crewing aboard the J130 Ragtime for the Division One races at RQYS in Brisbane, and more than a few Wednesday afternoons for social races.

In terms of training, I’ve completed a range of courses in Australia including the Safety and Sea Survival Course (SSSC), the Marine Radio Operators course, and the RYA Diesel Engine and Essential Navigation and Seamanship courses.

My wife and I also both held Recreational Marine Driver Licences (RMDL) with Personal Watercraft (PWC) endorsements. We’re planning to refresh our knowledge with Coastguard New Zealand courses.
Right on. +1

Welcome Aboard and Happy Boat-hunting,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand