Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:29   #1

Boat: Catalina 28, 1991
Hello From New Orleans

Hello all,

My name is John, I'm 32 year old recently single guy in New Orleans, the last 3 years of my life have been a little rough and now i'm making plans to cruise away from New Orleans on my Catalina 28. I"m laying out a plan now as well as working on the boat. I'm l'm also scared to death to leave, but that's actually what i'm craving. I worry that i'm not knowledgeable enough, but i realize that the things i'll learn along the way i'll never forget. I have the ability with my job to work along the way a specific spots along the florida west and east coasts. and I'll have a decent size Kiddy before leaving. Right now it's all still a dream, but i'm taking action to make it happen. I'm a also a Gay man so if there are any of ya'll out there say hello. I realize we are probably a small community in the crusing world.

Fair winds to everyone
  • John
saillagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
John,

Starting out and feeling you don't know enough is pretty normal. This don't work the same as they do on land. The rules are a lot more absolute and what you can get away with usually comes back at you. Your Cat 28 needs to be taken with a conservative attitude partly for the boat but partly until you can get used to all the new things.

Topics like weather and navigation should become a lot more familiar just because you can't get there with out those skills. We have a wealth of good topics for about any boat project you might require.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and asking questions. Is it truly a Catalina 28 or a 27. Just curious in that I've never heard of a Catalina 28 but 27s have been around for quite some time. If it is a Catalina 27 they are great boats and can handle coastal cruising as long as you have all the gear and rigging in good condition.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 19:39   #4

Boat: Catalina 28, 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha John,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and asking questions. Is it truly a Catalina 28 or a 27. Just curious in that I've never heard of a Catalina 28 but 27s have been around for quite some time. If it is a Catalina 27 they are great boats and can handle coastal cruising as long as you have all the gear and rigging in good condition.
Kind regards,
JohnL
it is really a Catalina 28, which is basically an upgraded 27 with an open transom. It's roomy, comfortable, easy to single hand, but not nearly as heavy as my first Catalina 27, 1976. I'm working on upgrading the rig and making sure it's good and sturdy. I plan on taking it easy. Watching the weather closely. I wanna enjoy my sailing and my time on anchor. I work for a major marine retailer, haha, so my chance to make some great deals to get things for the boat is great. I've already gotten a few. Now just seeing if i can build up the "kiddy"

John
saillagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans