Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 02:41   #1

Hello from Louisiana

Hello, everyone, I am new here. Owning a sailboat is something I have wanted to do for some time. I am 58 love scuba diving and close to retirement and would like to start my journey. I have no experience in sailing I would like to sail mostly the Gulf of Mexico to Flordia and the Bahamas. I will appreciate any guidance in what size boat and here to start first I will be sailing solo.

Thanks, Chris
Chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 03:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from Louisiana

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 02:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.
Thanks
Maybe you can answer this what size boat is a good size for solo sailing
Old 26-06-2019, 03:12   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris88 View Post
Thanks
Maybe you can answer this what size boat is a good size for solo sailing
Its not the size that makes a boat good/bad for single-handed sailing, its how its set up & and its sailing characteristics.

Setup: How easy to reach are winches & control lines from the cockpit. How reefing is set-up? What is the "sail plan" (more smaller sails are easier than fewer bigger sails)? Example: a "cutter" rig in moderate wind running under just main & staysail is super easy to tack as both sails are typically self-tending. A well set up bigger boat can be easier to single hand than a poorly set up smaller boat.

Also a factor is how the boat behaves: is it "tender" meaning it heels dramatically in gusts and requires a lot of attention at the helm or is it "stiff" (the opposite).

Does it "heave-to" well, which allows you to stop the boat in a stable attitude, handy when you need to stop to do things single-handed like reef/unreef/repairs/rest...

Where size does come more into play is docking/mooring, larger boats with high freeboard can be a challenge to moor/dock single handed. A Lagoon 50 is a radical example: the working cockpit is on top of the deck house (fly bridge) and it has a lot of freeboard...putting you a long way vertically and horizontally from dock cleats/bow...a real challenge to moor/dock single handed, but easy to actually sail single handed (all lines led to working cockpit and has power assist winches).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Its not the size that makes a boat good/bad for single-handed sailing, its how its set up & and its sailing characteristics.

Setup: How easy to reach are winches & control lines from the cockpit. How reefing is set-up? What is the "sail plan" (more smaller sails are easier than fewer bigger sails)? Example: a "cutter" rig in moderate wind running under just main & staysail is super easy to tack as both sails are typically self-tending. A well set up bigger boat can be easier to single hand than a poorly set up smaller boat.

Also a factor is how the boat behaves: is it "tender" meaning it heels dramatically in gusts and requires a lot of attention at the helm or is it "stiff" (the opposite).

Does it "heave-to" well, which allows you to stop the boat in a stable attitude, handy when you need to stop to do things single-handed like reef/unreef/repairs/rest...

Where size does come more into play is docking/mooring, larger boats with high freeboard can be a challenge to moor/dock single handed. A Lagoon 50 is a radical example: the working cockpit is on top of the deck house (fly bridge) and it has a lot of freeboard...putting you a long way vertically and horizontally from dock cleats/bow...a real challenge to moor/dock single handed, but easy to actually sail single handed (all lines led to working cockpit and has power assist winches).
Thanks for replying I am new to all is. What you wrote makes sense now. Thanks again
Old 26-06-2019, 12:44   #6

De nada.
Old 26-06-2019, 12:51   #7

Also, there are loads of threads here about getting started. Take a look at them too.

Its actually not necessary to buy a boat to get started sailing: read, take classes, find local sailing opportunities...no boat ownership needed. Though a small simple boat can also be added to that mix at minimal cost/hassle.

I was already a charter captain & sailing instructor before I owned a boat over 16'.