Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2011, 20:34   #1

Boat: not yet....
Hello from Hong Kong - My Two-Year Plan

Hi all, been lurkin for a while now first time posting.
New to sailing on small boats, was in the Navy for 12 years a bit bigger ships. The itch to get back on the water has been hitting me pretty hard the past few years. So my plan is to get a decent sized 30-35' in Michigan where im from and sail it here to Hong Kong. Learning over here now, reading and taking day trips&lessons start in 3 weeks. any advice? tips?
Thanks all
My
jbxtr1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 20:45   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Sailing a yacht to Hong Kong sounds great. I don't think I would start out from Michigan. I would probably jump off from southern California or Florida going through the Panama Canal. It's only about ten days from Florida to Panama, and then you are in the Pacific heading off for Hong Kong.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 23:47   #3

was thinking of starting in lake Superior, down to lake Michigan to Chicago, over to the mighty Mississippi, to the gulf then panama canal and island hop home to hong kong.
Just need to get a boat first and funds and a partner....
Old 15-01-2011, 01:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxtr1976 View Post
Hi all, been lurkin for a while now first time posting.
New to sailing on small boats, was in the Navy for 12 years a bit bigger ships. The itch to get back on the water has been hitting me pretty hard the past few years. So my plan is to get a decent sized 30-35' in Michigan where im from and sail it here to Hong Kong. Learning over here now, reading and taking day trips&lessons start in 3 weeks. any advice? tips?
Thanks all
My
Another Option would be to buy a boat in duty free Langkawi - N.Western Malaysia. Register it on their international yacht registry, then explore Thailand, Indonesia - the rivers of Borneo - Philippines, the Chinese coast to S.Korea and Japan then to Taiwan and Hong Kong. That could easily take 2 years.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 07:32   #5

Wish I had the time and money to do a two year trip!!! Paychecks as a chef aren't as nice as TV makes it out to be.
But, my plan is in two years to get this boat and sail it over here to Hong Kong. Was thinking of something in the range of $15-$22K 1977 Tartan 34C sailboat for sale in Michigan

Heavy enough to take rough weather, not to concerned about speed, looks, just a decent solid boat that rides well with the basis.
thanks all
Old 15-01-2011, 08:16   #6
Eternal Member

Quote:
Wish I had the time and money to do a two year trip!!! Paychecks as a chef aren't as nice as TV makes it out to be.
But, my plan is in two years to get this boat and sail it over here to Hong Kong. Was thinking of something in the range of $15-$22K 1977 Tartan 34C sailboat for sale in Michigan

Heavy enough to take rough weather, not to concerned about speed, looks, just a decent solid boat that rides well with the basis.
thanks all
Welcome to the Forum!

The Tartan 34C is a good boat, but don't forget you'll need to spend lotsa bucks fitting just about any boat out for such a voyage. It's a very long way from the U.S. to Hong Kong. BTW, my boat -- Born Free -- was built by Cheoy Lee in Hong Kong. As they built thousands of sailing yachts over the years, bet you could find one in SE Asia pretty easily.

I love Hong Kong...used to travel there a lot, beginning in 1956, but haven't been there since the new administration took over. If it's still there, have a drink for me in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel :-)

Good luck,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 09:04   #7

appologies for the typos, on a phone and making gnochi at the same time...
The Tartan is just an idea of the type im looking at. Been looking around for a Choy Lee also, Im sure I can find one in Thailand or Malaysia,
Just seems like the Michigan to HK trip is calling me.
Bill, the Peninsula is still here, chock full of tourists now!!! New administration same story...
Old 15-01-2011, 19:59   #8

Boat: Custom Wood Sloop 30 Stardust
Welcome to the CF. I am confident you will get lots better advice?/opinions from more experienced sailors than me--but IMHO, that is a bit of an ambitious time frame considering your present point and final destination---put me on your list and keep me posted on how you are progressing--I have considered the idea that instead of getting a boat ready stateside for ocean crossing, I would buy a "capable boat for the cruisin ground desired" that is already across the pond--use is as long as I can, see what I can in the areas there I crave to see, and sell it for what ever I can/when I can and fly back home---possible the fastest, lowest cost and safest for me considering my limited experience--maybe between my sailing time here in the Gulf of Mexico/Carribean and the across pond adventures, if that become a reality, will teach me enough to feel comfortable and experienced enough to cross oceans with the proper outfitted boat. Its your life-- live it your way!
Ottis
Ottis and Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 01:31   #9

Quote:

thanks all
Gnochi is that Italian or Indian ?
Understand the motivation to move - However buying a boat somewhere in the US and getting to HK might take a chunk out of your 2 years.
HHYC good place to sail if you can get away from Victoria when you are not slaving over a hot stove.
Stay Well
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:01   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

trying to get a boat ready for such a voyage when you are half way accross the world will be a PITA and costly (relying on others /not being able to be on the spot to make decisions). IMO not a task to be undertaken lightly - especially if looking at anything with even a hint of "fixer upper" about her. Factor in (sounds like) being early in your boat buying career and the chances of taking on far more than you bargained for (in money & time) are high.

the alternative is to take time out and get hands on (including to supervise / chase up as well as using a screwdriver / spanners / hammer yourself) - but that not a cost free excercise, especially when away from home without all the resources and knowledge of "home". and always nice when shelling out for any sort of refurb for cash to be coming in even if not as quickly as going out

Nothing is impossible of course...........

In your shoes I would look closer to Home or to where you intend to start your boat use / cruising career - even if the initial cost is higher. For a "bargain" / (fairly) ready to go cruising boat I would be looking around Asia for folk whose dreams have run out of money / or other circumstances have changed - not without it's own risks, but a boat being out of position from a ready market does impact it's value, especially when "foreign".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:59   #11

thanks all for the advice and replies, I've been thinking and considering every option I have so far. The plan was to take 6 months or so and go to the states find the boat and get it ready to go. But the more I think of the winters in Michigan and the short period of sailing/maint/fitting out time, in the U.P. where im from...(summer only lasts about 12 hours up there) not including the weather on Lake Superior which changes very fast.
I will get one here, or the P.I., or any other country nearby. Would be a good starter trip and would be easier to arrange someone with more experience to sail up with me back to HK.
Thanks again for all your help and advice!
justin
Old 22-01-2011, 16:42   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard,
Thanks for your service. I think your change of plans is a good choice although if you had unlimited time your first option would be quite an adventure.
Lots of us old Navy folks here on the forum.
kind regards,