Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 15:04   #1

Boat: Formosa Ketch 41'
Hello from Gainesville, Florida!!

Hello to all,
My name is Jerry and my wife's is Margie. We presently own a 41' Formosa (project boat) and are ready to hand it off to some younger sailors and buy a boat that is ready to go. We have our eye on a couple of nice cruising boats, one in Florida and one in Mexico. All we have to do is sell our house and everything we own. God we have a lot of STUFF! I'm getting ready to be an ebay whiz! Wish us Luck!
jerryhartlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 15:39   #2

Welcome. My project boat never even got off the hard. Get the best condition cruiser class boat you can afford and go for it. Good luck.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 16:02   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We just arrived in Gainesville today from Trinidad (via Miami)!! Getting ready to cast off the dock lines can be very hectic but oh so worth it. Send me a PM if we can help in any way.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 16:24   #4

Hi Slomotion and Harriet,
My project boat is in our pasture. The realestate market is still pretty good here and we hope to sell by next May. Trinidad sounds good. Is your boat there or here? Thanks for the input!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54   #5

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhartlein View Post
Hi Slomotion and Harriet,
My project boat is in our pasture. The realestate market is still pretty good here and we hope to sell by next May. Trinidad sounds good. Is your boat there or here? Thanks for the input!!
Surprised to hear the real estate market is good in Gainesville or any other place in Florida.... and I'm a Florida real estate broker! Hope your specific area is as you hope but overall in Florida we are continuing in a depressed market with very few warm spots... those being foreclosures and distressed sales.

Nation wide it is generally similar or worst. I would recommend you get a second opinion on value and the market conditions before you get too committed to your "dream" and its timing. You do not want to find yourself in the Motivated Seller bracket and end up only able to cover existing mortgages... if your lucky. Most of Florida is forecast to have a very flat market with an over supply and long DOM's ( Days on Market). From state data... it appears the Gainesville market has a 17 month excess inventory now listed. Of course that is considering all single family homes and not any specific property type/ land use type which can make a lot of difference.

Good luck but make sure your real estate plans can fit your other plans. Don't back yourself in a corner and be a distressed seller.
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 13:07   #6

Welcome to the club Jerry, I live about 35 miles west of Gainesville and am also waiting for the house to sell so we can go cruising again. Despite all the doom and gloom reports out there I'm remaining optimistic because we still have some of the best value in the state and a growing local area, along with A+ rated schools(here in Gilchrist county). A lot of people are waiting for a bottom to buy, the smart ones will see that all of the fear in the market right now IS the bottom.
I'm also staying positive because the boat prices are directly related to the housing prices. I may have to take less on the house and land, but I'll pay less for the boat.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome to the site, Jerry and Margie,
Heres hoping you achieve your aim and look forward to seeing you somewhere on the oceans sometime.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25   #8

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. We have a 165K mortgage and a 950K appraisal. Our property is unique in that our house sits on 5.25 acres but only four miles to the Oaks Mall. We are in no hurry to sell and plan on putting it on the market next Spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Surprised to hear the real estate market is good in Gainesville or any other place in Florida.... and I'm a Florida real estate broker! Hope your specific area is as you hope but overall in Florida we are continuing in a depressed market with very few warm spots... those being foreclosures and distressed sales.

Nation wide it is generally similar or worst. I would recommend you get a second opinion on value and the market conditions before you get too committed to your "dream" and its timing. You do not want to find yourself in the Motivated Seller bracket and end up only able to cover existing mortgages... if your lucky. Most of Florida is forecast to have a very flat market with an over supply and long DOM's ( Days on Market). From state data... it appears the Gainesville market has a 17 month excess inventory now listed. Of course that is considering all single family homes and not any specific property type/ land use type which can make a lot of difference.

Good luck but make sure your real estate plans can fit your other plans. Don't back yourself in a corner and be a distressed seller.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36   #9

I like your point of view

Hi Fishspearit, I agree totally with you. I see a lot of "sold" and "sale pending" signs all over Gainesville. We have been checking out flat fee MLS listings and we will try that this Spring. I've called a lot of them and the only one that Always answers their phone is ADDVANTAGE. They are there from 8 till 8 every day. We are seeing boat prices coming down also. I have been told that there is no sales tax on used boats in N.C. and also in Mexico. Good luck and yes the area you live in is really growing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Welcome to the club Jerry, I live about 35 miles west of Gainesville and am also waiting for the house to sell so we can go cruising again. Despite all the doom and gloom reports out there I'm remaining optimistic because we still have some of the best value in the state and a growing local area, along with A+ rated schools(here in Gilchrist county). A lot of people are waiting for a bottom to buy, the smart ones will see that all of the fear in the market right now IS the bottom.
I'm also staying positive because the boat prices are directly related to the housing prices. I may have to take less on the house and land, but I'll pay less for the boat.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42   #10

Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks for the kind words. I have been patiently waiting for over 20 years, 5 kids, four college degrees, and one to go!! YES!! Now it's our turn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Welcome to the site, Jerry and Margie,
Heres hoping you achieve your aim and look forward to seeing you somewhere on the oceans sometime.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 11-09-2007, 18:12   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The charter companies are going to care more about your financial readiness than your sailing readiness. If you have the bucks they might give you a simple written test which is more likely a requirement of their insurance than them. If you sound like you know what you are talking about that's probably it. If you sound iffy they might require a one day boat checkout.

Every time I've tried to present any "qualifications" to rent a boat - thay haven't been interested.

Having said that - make sure you are ready and you'll find a boat to charter regardless of what school you went to.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida