Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 12:25   #1

Hello from Ft Lauderdale!

Hey everyone!

This seems to be the place to get started here....

I am brand new to sailing/yachts and am looking for any position aboard to start learning. I had intended on a 3 month sail (Bahamas-BVI's) with a friend aboard his boat but we discovered that good friends don't always make for good sailing companions. I'm off his boat now and staying in the FLL area, determined to learn to sail and travel for 3months minimum (could extend for the right situation).

I'm open to any 'below decks'/housekeeping type of work and very willing to learn any 'above decks' sailing/maintenance work. NOT INTERESTED in romantic advances. I'm told a likely situation would be with a married couple who can teach me both the above and below decks duties in exchange for berth/board. Would very much want to learn enough to pass the ASA 101/103/104/114 after this position. Failing to find a suitable mentoring situation, my Plan B would be taking an immersive, live-aboard course covering the above (but would vastly prefer to save the money).

I have a US Passport and clean driver's license valid til 2018, non-smoker, no criminal background, no tattoos. I'm currently on sabbatical from teaching yoga. Prior to that, I've been a Regional Developer/Franchise Owner for fitness studios in 2 states and the owner/operator for administrative services consulting business. I'm a quick study and have a sincere desire to immerse myself in the sailing/yacht world!

Cheers to all!
Arlee2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:30   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Hello from Ft Lauderdale!

there is a group in FTL called sailing singles of south fla -- they some times go sailing but are a nice bunch of folks - would not hurt to attend a meeting or two to see if you fit - and maybe someone there can help you find a ride
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 03:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Arlee.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 07:39   #4

Thanks for the info and welcome!
Old 17-12-2016, 08:05   #5

Welcome to CF!

I would advise hanging around local sailing clubs as they often are looking for crew for races and whatnot. Or sometimes they have limited inexpensive trial memberships which you can take advantage of to get to know sailing crowd. Even if they themselves don't cruise or liveaboard they or club staff usually know people who do and they may lead you to crewing opportunities.

PS If this is your real photo in the profile that part about "no romantic advances" would sure be difficult to manage. ))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 08:22   #6

I appreciate the sailing club tip! It wouldn't have occurred to me that they'd be interested in teaching a complete newb...;-)

And yes, that's me in the pic... I wouldn't have an issue with finding the next great love of my life on the high seas but I'm not interested in a "cruising couch" scenario. Not into quid pro quo or F'ing my way onto a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Welcome to CF!

I would advise hanging around local sailing clubs as they often are looking for crew for races and whatnot. Or sometimes they have limited inexpensive trial memberships which you can take advantage of to get to know sailing crowd. Even if they themselves don't cruise or liveaboard they or club staff usually know people who do and they may lead you to crewing opportunities.

PS If this is your real photo in the profile that part about "no romantic advances" would sure be difficult to manage. ))
Old 17-12-2016, 08:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlee2.0 View Post
I appreciate the sailing club tip! It wouldn't have occurred to me that they'd be interested in teaching a complete newb...;-)

And yes, that's me in the pic... I wouldn't have an issue with finding the next great love of my life on the high seas but I'm not interested in a "cruising couch" scenario. Not into quid pro quo or F'ing my way onto a boat.
Many sailing clubs double as ASA schools. And usually beginners' courses are not that expensive, if anything boat connected can be labeled "not that expensive". And classes normally include time on the water. While myself I started out on a 39' (long story why) I would've loved to start as most people do - learning on small sailboats, moving up to solings, then to J24/27/29s etc. And you may find your s/o during such course or two. I know several couples who met at sailing clubs and few kids later are still together and still sailing together.

Here in MA there are a few clubs which are worth joining just for the active social life alone - Wed/Sat races followed by post race parties - free beer, wine and BBQ. Basic memberships start at about $700 with trial ones at around $500. And 2 people can split a membership making it dirt cheap. Not to mention that the post-race free beer and wine parties alone are worth the price of that membership.
-------------------------------
Daysailing Membership

Enjoy the use of our Solings and Sonars, according to your membership plan.

Prerequisite: Learn to Sail or equivalent experience and checkout.

Membership Plans

7-Day Access - $1275
Use of the Daysailing fleet for the whole season from 9:00am to sunset.

Weekends - $1170
Sail on weekends only.

Weekdays - $1035
Access limited to weekdays from 9:00am to sunset.

Weekdays 9-5 - $695
Monday through Friday access from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Mini - $510
Thirty consecutive days of access to the daysailing fleet including weekends.

Shared Membership
A shared membership is ideal for a group of 2 or 3 people who usually sail together, but who each want the benefits of membership. Once you have purchased a full year Daysailing membership, up to two friends may join under the same plan for just 50% of the full membership fee per person. A shared Membership may reserve and use only one boat at a time. Call the office to add shares to your membership.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 09:09   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Or get your own boat and teach yourself to sail and to cruise:
Say a Catalina 30, nice and simple, good Bahamas boat.