Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 21:07   #1

Hello from Florida

Hi all!
I have been boating since I can remember and sailing for about 10 years but I am about to purchase my first cruiser and I am very excited and a bit anxious. You see I have yet to sail anything over 20ft so I am very new to what I hope will be a lifelong activity. Anyway, I have many questions but I will be a good forum user and do some searching first!
Cheers!
Maqroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 21:52   #2

Hi, no one has welcomed me here but I'll welcome you.
We're in the same boat so to speak. Hot for a new boat!
cbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 16:36   #3

Hey thanks
Unfortunately I need to sell my current boat before I buy. hopefully it will sell soon!
Old 08-12-2007, 16:52   #4

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
welcome aboard.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 17:29   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I 2nd the motion and welcome both of you aboard.

Greetings from the east coast of Florida.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 19:19   #6

Thanks!
Since I see there are some fellow east coast Floridians here I wonder if you know the answer to this question:

What are the laws on mooring in the intracoastal waterway? I live in West Palm and I have noticed many sailboats moored in the intracoastal away from the main channel. I have been searching for info on this topic for awhile now and have not found much.

I would love to keep my future boat in a slip at a marina but if mooring is free and legal then I think I might want to check out that option. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
Old 08-12-2007, 21:30   #7

Boat: PEARSON 422
Rules on Mooring...or at least my best interpretation of them.

The number one rule for mooring your boat is DO NOT anchor within a navigable channel of the ICW. You will certainly, sooner than later, be asked to move if anchored in a navigable channel in the ICW.

The other hard rule on anchoring is that a boat may anchor anywhere if it is looking for protection from a storm or adverse conditions.

Other than that, the rules and how they are enforced are are a little fuzzy and subjective. Almost all costal cities have their own rules on anchoring outside the icw but inside city limits. Frequently, there are time limits placed on how long you can anchor in one spot; usually between 24 and 72 hours. Enforcement of the law varies from place to place. Here in Clearwater there is a time limit but I don't believe it is strictly enforced. In fact,there has been a guy living on his Morgan 41' out island in the intercostal for almost two years. I see him every time I go out and he moves his boat around about once a week so that the local law enforcement does not harass him to much. So, living aboard in the intercostal can be a little tricky when trying to skirt the rules. If, however, you are cruising but not living aboard a federal law was passed recently concerning anchoring outside city owned mooring fields...

Southwinds Magazine

"Nothing contained in the provisions of this section shall be construed to prohibit local governmental authorities from the enactment or enforcement of regulations which prohibit or restrict the mooring or anchoring of floating structures or live-aboard vessels within their jurisdictions or of any vessels within the marked boundaries of mooring fields permitted as provided in s. 327.40. However, local governmental authorities are prohibited from regulating the anchoring outside of such mooring fields of non-live-aboard vessels in navigation.”

Finally, I am not sure exactly how it works if you do not liveaboard but want to anchor your boat in the icw and leave it. I know they(local authorities) don't like you to but I see it happen all the time. From Blackwater Sound(key largo) to St. Josephs Sound(Dunedin) I have seen boats that were unoccupied and just anchored for long periods of time. I don't know if I would want to do that, though. It would not take much to wipe out all the money and time I have invested in my boat i.e. frayed anchor line, rusted chain link, sudden storm, pirates, etc. It really sucks writing that check for my slip every month but I sleep better at night when i do.

I hope this helps.

ep
Old 09-12-2007, 00:20   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Maqroll,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. When you feel comfortable ask all the questions you want.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:02   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Salty_dog posted what is the current Florida law on the subject, but unfortunately there is more to the story. According to the law, if you are not a live aboard, you can moor out where ever you like outside of a channel. By law, local cities have no jurisdiction outside of a mooring field. However, there have been reports of local laws defying Florida law and enforcing time limits. One arrest has been widely publicized. When it went to court the judge struck down the local law.

Now as to live aboards, the current law is pretty much stacked against a live aboard. However, it has a gigantic loophole in that it defines a live aboard as a person who has no other permanent address, or does commercial business fom their live aboard boat. So, if you have a drivers license which has a valid address, you are not considered a live aboard by current Florida Law.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35   #10

Salty and Rick, thanks for your insight. I had a feeling that there was a bit of a gray area when it comes to mooring rules. It is very difficult to get a straight answer from local government on this topic.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:31   #11
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Maqurl Welcome aboard
I have been in the West Palm Area for many years and left my trawler on a mooring that I set down for years and never had any troble with the law or with being ripped off. There are lots of places you can set up your mooring along the intercoastal and not be bothered.
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:19   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
""Hey thanks
Unfortunately I need to sell my current boat before I buy. hopefully it will sell soon!""

So--- have you posted the particulars on your current boat in our classified ads section?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 20:35   #13

Skiprjohn, i have it posted on boattrader but since it is a powerboat set up for fishing i figure it wouldnt get much interest here.

Ram, thanks for the info. I live near port of palm beach and have noticed many boats moored just south of the inlet. Do you know if this area is legal for mooring? If it is all i would need is a dink for easy access and i could see my future boat by just walking a block to the ICW.

Tags
florida