Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 12:50   #1

Hello from Cornwall, UK.

Hi All, My Name is Chris, I am relatively new to sailing, My partner has very kindly bought me a Westerly Nimrod for Christmas. I have previously owned a seafarer 465 many years ago and sailed her a handful of times. I bought my first boat when i was 8 and that is more years ago than i care to remember! I have had small power boats ever since and currently own a wellcraft 185 and a 20' boston whaler. I have a wealth of experience with repairs and servicing but have very very little knowledge about sailing! I hope that we can exchange tips and advice to make all of our days afloat a little more enjoyable!

Many thanks

Chris.
croge321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 13:12   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Hello from Cornwall, UK.

Hi Chris! You have the perfect partner... we are all very jealous
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 15:43   #3

Chris

Welcome from a fellow Nimrod owner. I’ve had mine 5 years and my tips are:

Check the 2 bailers at the rear of the cockpit. They are (I think) unique to the Nimrod and if they leak the rear end of the cockpit gets a bit wet underfoot. Happily making your own seals is quite straightforward.

When you get the opportunity (hoist or afloat with swim goggles on) check the keel for corrosion and free play.

The “volcano” (where the keel lowering wire emerges) can ship a fair volume of water in a chop. This does depend on where your winch is (some are down below; some are in the cockpit). For the former, jury rig a removable bung of some sort to keep the water out.

Get onto the V berth and Look under the foredeck to make sure all deck beams are still bonded to the underside of the deck. Mine had delaminated at their outboard edges giving the foredeck a slightly spongey feel underfoot.

Sail it like a big forgiving dinghy. It’s a great fun boat. I rigged a spinnaker for mine 2 seasons ago and love using it. I’m currently working the interior to allow me to weekend it in a bit more (all things relative) comfort.

PM me if you need more and happy sailing.
RazBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 17:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris, and RazBerry.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 03:24   #5

Thank you all very much for your replies. I can't wait to get out on the water.

I think it was a tactical move from the Mrs as she wants to come out with me and I won't take her fishing!

I hope you all had a great Christmas.
Old 26-12-2019, 03:34   #6

Hi RazBerry.

Thanks for the great reply. It's lovely to meet another Nimrod owner. There don't seem to be too many about now. I had fancied one for years when I got rid of the seafarer.

This one seems very original but sadly a little neglected, I am about to renew the halyards but am a little confused. There are 2 halyards that are attached forward of the mast by small single pulleys. I would think that one would be for the jib/genoa, any ideas what the other may be? Also I would expect 2 warps through the centre of the mast right to the top, being a topping lift and the mainsail halyard but there is only one. Is this the same on yours? Do you disconnect the topping lift and use it as the mainsail halyard?

Warmest regards

Chris.
Old 26-12-2019, 09:24   #7

Chris.

Check on the front/side of the mast to see which one you have. There will be a triangular/square (?) plate that will have the details on. Mine is the original Proctor A (from memory) but I’m told that a small number of the later models had a different mast. Mine has shorter spreaders that almost don’t alter the angle of the shroud. I’m told that the later mast had more sweepback with longer spreaders and more mast bend.

On my mast I have the main halyard running into a pulley at the mast base, then running internally up to the top; it cleats off starboard side. The topping lift is external and runs via a side mounted sheave at the mast head to a cleat starboard side of the mast..

The head sail halyard is also external and runs down to a port side cleat. Mine is set up for a roller head sail, so after the turning block just under the fore stay fitting, the halyard routes back down the mast about 30cm before going through a U bolt style guide and connecting to the head of the sail. It needs to route this way to avoid halyard wrap when furling the jib. It’s not perfect and I may route it a bit further down the mast as there is still a propensity to wrap. I currently get round this by sheeting in the main (with or without sail hoisted) to provide some aft tension on the jib halyard by bending the mast backwards.

Finally I’ve rigged a spinnaker. The halyard runs From above the forestay, dropping starboard side of the forestay directly to a sprung turning block that I had to mount to the starboard side of the mast base.. It then turns outboard to a deck tidy and aft to a jammer on the coach roof. There’s an equivalent set up port side for a pole up haul and down haul, though I’m contemplating getting rid of the up haul and replacing it with a bungee.

In short: 2 cleats starboard side for main and topper. One clear port side for headsail. 2 additional bits of string for spinnaker that run external in mast and aft to cockpit.

My only gripe with the set up is getting enough tension in the jib and main halyards. For the jib, it’s all about getting the forestay tight (bottlescrews on shrouds need tightening every time I step mast) and then sweating the halyard. Still not up to what I’d like and I may rig a dinghy style block and tackle.

For the main, I have an adjustable gooseneck, so hoist with it loose, secure halyard the pull down on boom before tightening gooseneck. The kicker strap gear can be used to aid pulling down if needed. That works ok for a full main bit is a bit of a dance for reefing, something I’m working on.

Does that help?
Old 14-08-2020, 02:31   #8

Hi, I too have just bought Nimrod Westerly for my partner Harry. Can you help with the correct rigging proceedures , only the man I bought it off had things set up incorrectly. Looking at pictures of Nimrods the Boom is connected using two pulleys. He had it rigged up on a sliding rope? Also the two bungs are not working and let on water. Any advise would be greatfulluy received. Tracy
Tracy white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 15:12   #9

Tracy

I’m unsure what to advise about the boom. It might be useful to post some pictures. On mine the boom connects via a gooseneck fitting that is permanently mounted to the end of the boom and which slides into the gap where the sail slides into the mast.

Re the bungs. If they leak when pulled fully up, you will need to replace the rubber washers at the base of them, which provide the seal. Has to be done with boat out of water and bungs pushed all the way down. I made some up from some 5mm rubber and cut disks out by scoring then with a pair of marking compasses. They are held in place by a bolt - make sure it’s nipped up tight, else the washer can move, which prevents the bings being closed.