Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 14:15   #1

Hello from Corfu!!

Please allow me to introduce myself,
I'm a man of ropes and paints.
i've been around for about 40 years,
sold many a man an anchor and chain...

Ok that's enough...

Hello everyone, My name is Peter and i live on the island of Corfu. I fell in love with sailing when i was still at school. I did a little racing, which I enjoyed, although I don't think I have the really competitive spirit required. I just love to sail! Through my job I have been in contact with many long and short term cruisers and long to do the same. For a few years my professional involvement coupled with a negative attitude from my significant other, conspired to keep me away from boats, but a divorce and new marriage soon took care of that...

I long to buy a boat , even though as a chandler, I have a fair idea of the expense and time involved.

I actually have my 'eye' on something so to speak and am looking for potential advice, but I will start a new thread on the subject.

Nice to meet you all!

Peter
papapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 14:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard Peter!

I have heard of Corfu, but could not remember where in the Mediterranean Corfu is located. So I looked it up in Wikipedia. What a cool place to live! Want to trade?

Corfu - Wikipedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 22:16   #3

Boat: Trismus 37
Sailed around there many times in the early 70's, at least now when sailing out the north channel you don't have to keep an eye out for Albanian gun boats.
Ionian sea has many great memories, if it hasn't changed too much you are very lucky, but remember history says beware of a "Greek bearing gifts" and the only thing pitmans book of law says about Greek law is: A contract in Greece is an agreement to continue negotiation.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:20   #4

Hi Peter, I like Corfu very much i was there for not so long time agoe...okey, 24 year agoe. Times fly.

Welcome onboard.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:55   #5
Eternal Member

Welcome aboard, Peter! You'll find lots of friendly folks and well-intentioned advice here. Some of it may even be good :-)

Have very fond memories of Corfu. Stopped there on a delivery from Piraeus to Dubrovnik back in the 70's. And, yes, we had to watch out for the Albanian gunboats as we tacked that old ketch against a north wind when leaving Corfu!

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 20:50   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Peter,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and would like to know what kind of boat you might be looking at.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 23:55   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Yiasou! Tikanis Peter?

Welcome aboard this great site.

I have visited and sailed around the Greek islands since I was 7 years old and they have a special meaning for me as a young scottish lad getting his first taste of the “good life.”

My mother was from Andros, my father Scottish (where happiness is a sin…..) .....so that mix taught me to be cheap ….but still know how to have a good time…lol!

I look forward to a few more verses from your symphony
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Pete.

Was in Corfu this past summer albeit only a week. Very very hot.

Good luck with finding your yacht. Keep us all posted.

JOHN
Old 03-08-2008, 13:37   #9

Hello again everyone and thanks for your answers!
Corfu truly is a rather cool place to live, although it has its pros and cons... Just like every other place in the world I'm sure! It is just human nature I think to think of other places being better...
Albanian gunboats are no more a concern. The country has opened up to a certain extent and passing yachts are now something they would like to attract rather than repel...
'Pelagic" I am a product of a mixed marriage too! The more classic combination of English mum and Greek dad, probably one of the first holiday romances ever! (Back in the 60's that was...)
SkiprJohn I am currently looking at a catamaran, but I have been known to fall for a variety of craft in the past... My first love was a Folkboat...
I do like multihulls, have sailed cruising cats a couple of times,once on a delivery and a few times on day outings locally.

I look forward to reading all your advice!

Fair winds to all,
Papapete
papapete is offline   Reply With Quote