Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 15:30   #1

Hello from CO

Ive been looking around for awhile and decided to introduce my self. I live in CO and plan on moving back to CA in a few months. Im 34 drive a truck for living. my questions pertain to the boat buying process.
countrywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 15:56   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hello from CO

Hi, Will,

Welcome aboard.

Please tell us what parts of the purchase process you are most interested. I appreciate the desire to not skew an answer, but it is far easier to answer specific questions than general ones. From there, the threads usually take on their own drift, based on your continued presence.

There is one thing I would say, and that is get out on the water, this can be done as pickup crew for sailboat races if it is sailboats you are interested in. Motorboating can be begun by renting. At some point you need to become competent at understanding the Colregs, which codify the means of avoiding collisions. If you're just crew, you'll pick up some of it by osmosis and by skipper instruction, assuming the captain has learned what he ought.

The learning curve can be pretty steep. Also, there are courses you can take to gain qualifications both for crewing and for chartering purposes.

Ann
Old 14-02-2015, 04:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, countrywill.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:49   #4

Thank you for the welcomes. I guess im nervous about the buying process due to credit and the time frame that im going to have in augest. Quick run down of my situation is... i was devorced last may, got sued due to the devorce, moved out of the house that the court awarded me the my x destroyed, and have been digging my way out of debt ever sence. my question is what is the possibility if me being able to buy a decent size boat. ( power boat). ive looked around looking for some one close to my age who might be doing the same thing. the whole reason for me moving back to CA is to be close to the folks and help out. i can transfer out there for work. my Dads friend owns a fishing boat and was telling him it is the cheapest way to live, how true is that? on a side note i have nothing except afew tools and 2 vehicals.
countrywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:27   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Best way to approach any buying process is REALLY REALLY slowly. Particularly so if you are buying a boat. Good luck. Take lots of time. Preferably years.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote