Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2007, 08:40   #1

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
Hello from Chesapeake Newbies !

Hello (from up the Susquehanna),

My husband and I are new to the forum, and soon will be new to sailing and everything that goes with it!

We are considering purchasing a (1971) C&C 27 sloop which is currently located on the hard in Rock Hall on the Chesapeake. This will be our "starter" boat, so we have a EVERYTHING to learn. If anyone familiar with the Chesapeake bay area could help us with a few things, we'd sure appreciate it:

1) We need to find a properly credentialed marine surveyor to look at the boat before we make an offer on it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2) We need to find a place to keep her.....Is anyone out there familiar with Old Bay Marina near Sparrows Point, between Balto and Annapolis? This would be a very affordable place for us to keep the boat. I'm concerned about navigating. Our boat has 4'2" draft. We don't need fancy ammenities (since we live only an hour north of Baltimore). We just need a place to keep her. We would prefer keeping the boat in the Rock Hall area, but a lot of the marinas I checked would be out of our budget.

Also, if anyone know of someone up one of the rivers or creeks who has an un-used dock/slip and would like to rent it, please let us know. This would also work for us.

3) We need to learn the ropes. Does anyone know an instructor for private hire? We are aware of a few sailing schools, but our work schedules limit us to weekends only. We'd like to find someone to teach us on our own boat.

We thank you in advance for any suggestions you might offer!

Lynn
inishowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 11:35   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
inishowen - welcome aboard. This is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable participants. Sorry to say, I am not one. If you do a search on this site for marine surveyors you will have a number of hits. A list of certifying agencies was posted within the past week. Look around the web for C&C 27's that are for sale. This will give you a starting point. Hopefully you are working with a broker that is not the listing agent for this boat. He can also suggest what to offer and what surveyor to use.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 12:16   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lynn,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. There are quite a few folks on the Chesapeake who will respond I'm certain. If your boat is like the Tartan 27s then it'll be a good beginner boat for you.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 15:26   #4

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag
inishowen - welcome aboard. This is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable participants. Sorry to say, I am not one. If you do a search on this site for marine surveyors you will have a number of hits. A list of certifying agencies was posted within the past week. Look around the web for C&C 27's that are for sale. This will give you a starting point. Hopefully you are working with a broker that is not the listing agent for this boat. He can also suggest what to offer and what surveyor to use.

John
Thanks for the welcome, John! We're excited about our new foray into the boating life, but I have to admit, I'm a little nervous....

Lynn
Old 19-07-2007, 15:29   #5

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Lynn,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. There are quite a few folks on the Chesapeake who will respond I'm certain. If your boat is like the Tartan 27s then it'll be a good beginner boat for you.
Kind Regards,
JohnL

Aloha, yourself! Thanks so much for the welcome, John. From what I have read about the C&C 27, it is like the Tartan 27 in some respects.

Lynn
Old 19-07-2007, 15:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Here is the surveyor I used last fall:

North Wind Marine Survey
(James E. Reihl, AMMS)
8141 Tolchester Road
Chestertown, MD 21620
Phone: 443-480-2892
Email: reihl@dmv.com
URL: NA

Jim is a good surveyor and knows sail boats well. You'll find AMMS, SAMS, and NAMS are associations of surveyors. These are good sources for a surveyor. Call them up and talk to them and if you don't seem to hit it off well then try another one. You should like your surveyor and should plan to be present. You'll learn more than just what is in the report. You'll need the report to purchase insurance so arrange to get a copy to your agent ASAP. You don't want to take the boat any place until you have a policy.

Never fall in love with a boat before the survey is completed. You may be best to part company with the boat and a good surveyor can save you from a bad boat relationship.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 16:01   #7

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Lynn,
Nervous means you are growing. My first boat, a Venture 22, I sailed solo down the Delaware River from Philadelphia to Sea Isle New Jersey. I had so much fun sailing in the Delaware Bay that I ended up 24 hours late arriving in Sea Isle. My wife was ready to call the Coast Guard. This was before cell phones. As you gain experience your nervousness will disappear until the unexpected happens. The motor stops while going under a bridge with the sails up and the wind becomes sheilded by the land. It is fun to talk about now but the horns from the cars stopped because the bridge was open was a little disconcerting. Enjoy

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 05:25   #8

Thanks for the information, Paul. I will put Mr. Reihl on the top of the list of surveyors to call. Any suggestions for insurance companies?

Lynn
Old 20-07-2007, 05:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Any suggestions for insurance companies?
Company rates vary by state so hwhere you live makes a difference. If you don't plan on leaving the country you may do well with All State Insurance. They cover all the US and 90 miles offshore for the same price, but no other extensions are possible. Ask your insurance agent for a quote. You will need the survey before they will underwrite a pokicy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 05:38   #10

John, thanks so much for the encouragement! It helps to know that "nervous" is a positive part of the process. I'll think of you when we encounter our first bridge :-)
Old 20-07-2007, 05:38   #11

Thanks, Paul!

Lynn
Old 20-07-2007, 05:41   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Survyors & C&C

Peter Hartoft is an excellent surveyor. www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/

We owned a C&C on the Chesapeake Bay for 15 years before heading out cruising. The decks on the C&C are balsa cored, so have your surveyor pay special attention to the deck, especially around the mast and forward hatch. We had to do a pretty massive repair job on ours.

We were just at Old Bay Marina with our Catamaran. We did notice that the water was a bit shallow farther off the dock toward the middle of the cove,but we had no problems (we only draw 3'.) The owner, Brian, was great- only charged us $20 for an overnight dock.

Best Regards,
Susan
International Marine Insurance Services
susan@IMIScorp.net
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 05:55   #13

Hi Susan!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Mr. Hartoft a call, too.

I spoke to Brian at Old Bay yesterday, and liked him immediately. He seems like a great guy. Specifically, I called him to ask about the depth of the water, after having peeked at some NOAA charts and saw that it is shallowish in that area. The C&C we're considering draws a little over 4 feet. When I told Brian of my concern, he said that there are a couple of larger C&Cs at the marina, (one of which draws 6 feet) that had been there for 20 years, and they've had no problem.

Lynn
Old 27-07-2007, 07:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Welcome aboard!
Look forward to learning more about your maritime quartet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inishowen.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1578  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 07:27   #15

Thank you, Gord!

As soon as I have a free moment, I'll post more info....

Lynn