Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2007, 07:59   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by inishowen
2) We need to find a place to keep her.....Is anyone out there familiar with Old Bay Marina near Sparrows Point, between Balto and Annapolis? This would be a very affordable place for us to keep the boat. I'm concerned about navigating. Our boat has 4'2" draft. We don't need fancy ammenities (since we live only an hour north of Baltimore). We just need a place to keep her. We would prefer keeping the boat in the Rock Hall area, but a lot of the marinas I checked would be out of our budget.

Also, if anyone know of someone up one of the rivers or creeks who has an un-used dock/slip and would like to rent it, please let us know. This would also work for us.

3) We need to learn the ropes. Does anyone know an instructor for private hire? We are aware of a few sailing schools, but our work schedules limit us to weekends only. We'd like to find someone to teach us on our own boat.

We thank you in advance for any suggestions you might offer!

Lynn
2) I am at Young's Boat Yard (just a little further up Jones Creek from Old Bay). The draft shouldn't be an issue except at low tide (or a really low tide) with a heavy NW wind. If you are interested in the area give a look at Young's Boat Yard, Inc. as well.

3) The Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore is where I went for instruction. They do class type and you can hire them for private. The Downtown Sailing Center.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 14:56   #17

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Hello from Chesapeake newbies

I would recommend this surveyor. He did the survey on my boat in December and saved me ~$10,000. Knows sailboats.

PREVITI * MARINE SURVEYOR AND CONSULTANT, INC.
P.O. BOX 1210
SOLOMONS, MD. 20688
(410)326-0866
e mail: marine-surveyors@spectrumsciences.com
Old 27-07-2007, 16:09   #18

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I know of a slip at a house that is opening this week, $100 month on Bodkin Creek very close to Pleasure Cove marina.
i can get you a number if interested
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:11   #19

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
Thank you for the suggestion! We'll give them a call.
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by engcon
I would recommend this surveyor. He did the survey on my boat in December and saved me ~$10,000. Knows sailboats.

PREVITI * MARINE SURVEYOR AND CONSULTANT, INC.
P.O. BOX 1210
SOLOMONS, MD. 20688
(410)326-0866
e mail: marine-surveyors@spectrumsciences.com
Old 27-07-2007, 18:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing
I know of a slip at a house that is opening this week, $100 month on Bodkin Creek very close to Pleasure Cove marina.
i can get you a number if interested

Yes, please do give us the number. We would be interested in speaking to the owner. Thanks for your response!

Lynn
Old 27-07-2007, 18:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
2) I am at Young's Boat Yard (just a little further up Jones Creek from Old Bay). The draft shouldn't be an issue except at low tide (or a really low tide) with a heavy NW wind. If you are interested in the area give a look at Young's Boat Yard, Inc. as well.

3) The Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore is where I went for instruction. They do class type and you can hire them for private. The Downtown Sailing Center.

Frank, thank you for your response and suggestions. We'll check out Young's and the Downtown Sailing Center.

Lynn
Old 30-07-2007, 13:20   #22

Boat: 1983 bristol 41.1 S/V MONARCH FLIGHT
We used East coast surveying inc. in the spring Steve Sanders and was very pleased 410.310.0714 cell 410.643.0275 If you want to keep it in the rockhall area as we did take a look at long cove marina on the back side of rockhall. That will give you the well protected chester river to get familiar with your boat and only 5 or 6 miles to the bay on a large river that is easily sailed. Very quiet marina. no pool we love it. Ton of places to anchor on the river.
gandydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 16:58   #23

Thanks so much for your suggestions, Gandydancer! We will give Steve Sanders a call, and also look into Long Cove Marina. Henry and I love Chestertown. We just spent last Saturday at Rock Hall with some friends, and went to dinner at Reilly's restaurant (at the Chestertown wharf - it used to have another name). We had another look at the C&C we're considering. We've received an insurance quote from Boat US today, and are ready to hire a surveyor to take a long look at her.

Hope to see you on the Chester River some day....

Lynn & Henry)
Old 31-07-2007, 06:22   #24

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
As I am also looking for my perfect boat I have checked on several marines in the Bay area and if you want a full service marina so far I have found that most of the yards/marinas with slips to rent in and around baltimore harbor are the most affordable, starting at $300 a month...two of these include electric (as long as you do not live aboard) one includes internet and cable TV and all are gated witha free parking spot (car).

Several also include pools and workout rooms. Two also include 3 free pullout and power washes per year. (Must schedule in advance).

Hope this helps. Im on a budget and found that the closer you get to Annapolis the more the slip fee goes up, in a big way.

I have tried to only look on the annapolis side of the bay bridge because traffic can become a huge pain when trying to cross that toll bridge on a friday evening or weekend.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 06:26   #25

Regarding "learning the ropes", consider joining a sailing club, or find friends with boats. Courses from instructors are great for establishing basics, but the lessons need to be followed up with experience. Go out with experienced sailors as often as possible; there are lessons that are not in the books.

My wife and I took our initial ASA 101 course with Baysail in Havre de Grace; check them out. They have the full range of ASA courses. There are also good schools in Annapolis and Rock Hall. Most of them will develop a "custom" course to fit your schedule.

Check out the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis in early October. Lots of people to talk to, gear to see, boats to drool over.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:15   #26

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
To add a little comic relief, A slip in St. Augustine, FL is $16.50 a month and no pool, electric and cable are extra. Insurance runs me $2,500+ a year and an unattended 25ft fishing boat docked in Ley Largo pays $5,000 a year. So, when you are considering your slip and insurance remember keep your slip close so you can visit your love as often as possible and your insurance could be worse.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 09:42   #27

One of the earlier post suggested a marina that would only be a problem at low tide or winds from the wrong direction. Avoid these at all costs. Too many times (a call from home,bad weather, or problem on board )can mean getting into port NOW! Make sure your marina of choice has the correct draft for your vessel at ALL times. Good luck with your choice.
Old 31-07-2007, 10:06   #28

Thank you. We're thinking Rock Hall or Chestertown, at the moment. Gandydancer, how long does it take to sail across the C'peake to Balto or Annapolis from Rock Hall?
Old 31-07-2007, 10:08   #29

Oh, wouldn't we love to be in St. Augustine!....And not merely because of the inexpensive slip fees.
Old 31-07-2007, 10:34   #30

If from the back side of rockhall (long cove) figure an hour to the mouth of the chester river then 1 hr to annapolis and say 2 or 3 to balt. This would be determined by wind direction and length of waterline of vessel. These estimates can vary widely Enjoy the sail. It's all about the getting there.