Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 14:50   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Hello from Central Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throggy View Post
Group9. I'd love the name of that Marina in Ocean Springs! Sounds like the best rate I've heard yet.
Looks like he's a liveaboard over at Bay St Louis. (not Ocean Springs)

I was talking about folks that sail out of Ocean Springs...........and out to the island 10-12 miles offshore on 16'-20' catamarans

That's the big question.

Do you want to be a liveaboard docked at a marina or a sailor that actually sails his boat?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like he's a liveaboard over at Bay St Louis. (not Ocean Springs)

I was talking about folks that sail out of Ocean Springs...........and out to the island 10-12 miles offshore on 16'-20' catamarans

That's the big question.

Do you want to be a liveaboard docked at a marina or a sailor that actually sails his boat?

Oops. Bay St Lois! lol. I had to mess up some time soon.
I want the live aboard option / base as a start, when we get to that point. Not sail 24/7.

I called a place that advertises intro Sailing lessons and offers ASA courses in Gulfport (yes I got the correct city this time, I think), and ouch on the prices, but still cheaper than flying lessons. (I also flew in my life history.)

Our wedding anniversary is coming up in November (11 years). Might be a good thing to do, take the intro cruise then....
Throggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:19   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Oops. Bay St Lois! lol. I had to mess up some time soon.
I want the live aboard option / base as a start, when we get to that point. Not sail 24/7.

I called a place that advertises intro Sailing lessons and offers ASA courses in Gulfport (yes I got the correct city this time, I think), and ouch on the prices, but still cheaper than flying lessons. (I also flew in my life history.)

Our wedding anniversary is coming up in November (11 years). Might be a good thing to do, take the intro cruise then....
Good luck then but if you are in Central Mississippi, you could probably buy some type of old sailboat and learn by yourself on a local lake but to each his own.

Just don't sell the homestead and become a liveaboard with little experience along the Gulf Coast. It looks like the hurricanes are again starting to like it there.

We had maybe 6-8 while I was down there between 1996-2009. These would include the cat 3/4 Ivan with it's 14'-18' surge and Katrina with it's 26' surge. Plus there were two more in 1995 before I moved there that leveled the dunes on Okaloosa/Santa Rosa Island.

I learned sailing on a dinghy (at first before the beach cats) I got by trading a deer rifle for it. I didn't need a 5 shot, bolt action, 7mm Mauser while living in Memphis, TN back in the day. (1980's)

Growing up around boats and owning boats here before that as a teenager definitely helped though.

I took my 14' aluminum boat with 25 Evinrude offshore in the bay (Chesapeake) about 15 miles as 17 year old........due to the good fishing near Tangier Island
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Welcome! Another Mississippi resident here. I grew up in the Mississippi Delta, dreaming of the ocean. I moved to the gulf coast as soon as I could. I later lived in Miami and Annapolis before moving back to atheists Mississippi gulf coast. I retired in 2010 and we have been cruising on and off to the Bahamas ever since.

Nothing wrong with building your own boat, but just be advised that there are bargains galore in the used boat market. Not too mention, Marina slip rates down here that are cheaper than moorings in most places (we pay $245 a month for a slip for a 42 foot boat in one of the most beautiful marinas you ever saw (Bay Saint Louis).

It's a less expensive venture than you probably think. They don't even charge extra for live aboards. Good luck!
Don't know where "atheists " came from. You can tell when I post from my IPad because it reads like an idiot wrote it. The idea that the same people who wrote the autocorrect spelling program are writing the self driving car programs scares the hell out of me!
Old 20-10-2017, 05:39   #20

Quote:
Steady Hand (sorry I missed a thank you earlier)
SVRocinante
Group9

Thank you all as well for the greetings.

To everyone else who has commented thus far. Thank you for all the input. So far you have all helped me feel welcome.

Group9. I'd love the name of that Marina in Ocean Springs! Sounds like the best rate I've heard yet.
Yeah, it's Bay Saint Louis. Long Beach and Gulfport also allow livaboards, and are just slightly more expensive (but, still a fraction of what it cost most places. Pass Christian is even cheaper than Bay Saint Louis, and also has livaboards.(My slip rent was only $186 when I was there).

We're not livaboards any more since returning from our latest cruise. We have a house in BSL.

And, hurricanes are an occasional, but serious, issue here from time to time. But, we're used to them. You just have to have a plan and not dilly dally executing it. My favorite saying is that we should thank God for the hurricanes, or we couldn't afford to live here! It would be just like Florida.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yeah, it's Bay Saint Louis. Long Beach and Gulfport also allow livaboards, and are just slightly more expensive (but, still a fraction of what it cost most places. Pass Christian is even cheaper than Bay Saint Louis, and also has livaboards.(My slip rent was only $186 when I was there).

We're not livaboards any more since returning from our latest cruise. We have a house in BSL.

And, hurricanes are an occasional, but serious, issue here from time to time. But, we're used to them. You just have to have a plan and not dilly dally executing it. My favorite saying is that we should thank God for the hurricanes, or we couldn't afford to live here! It would be just like Florida.
I am quite aware of the power of hurricanes. I drove truck on the coast after Katrina and saw first hand the power of God. (what others call "nature")
Also worked cleaning out some homes that had been flooded. Saw cement slabs where homes had once been, and even cement pillars where nothing remained.
So yeah, no dilly dallying around when God has something to show or say.
Old 20-10-2017, 11:18   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I am quite aware of the power of hurricanes. I drove truck on the coast after Katrina and saw first hand the power of God. (what others call "nature")
Also worked cleaning out some homes that had been flooded. Saw cement slabs where homes had once been, and even cement pillars where nothing remained.
So yeah, no dilly dallying around when God has something to show or say.
So your God uses hurricanes to punish those who have displeased him?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 16:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So your God uses hurricanes to punish those who have displeased him?
Ever hear of the flood of Noah's time?
Ever hear of Sodom and Gomorrah?
Ever hear of the plagues of Egypt?
If not, I suggest you look those topics up. Probably will find the answers in a KJV bible.
I think your answer lies in those questions.

Do you really want to get into a tit for tat here? (Well of course you do. Otherwise you would not have gone on the offense.)

I seen that politics is forbidden here. Maybe God is as well?
Old 20-10-2017, 17:14   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Ever hear of the flood of Noah's time?
Ever hear of Sodom and Gomorrah?
Ever hear of the plagues of Egypt?
If not, I suggest you look those topics up. Probably will find the answers in a KJV bible.
I think your answer lies in those questions.

Do you really want to get into a tit for tat here? (Well of course you do. Otherwise you would not have gone on the offense.)

Not on the offensive. Just offended.

BTW, I have studied the Old Testment, New Testament, Koran, etc.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:59   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Yes, this is Cruisers Forum and non boating or cruising topics in general are not allowed. Plenty of other forums to discuss religion, politics and other contentious subject matter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 05:27   #26

I think got this started when I accidentally typed "atheist gulf coast".
Old 21-10-2017, 05:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not on the offensive. Just offended.

BTW, I have studied the Old Testment, New Testament, Koran, etc.
Not only are you "offended" you are confused as well and can't make a choice. You seem to be looking for excuses to start a fight.

Hope you find The answer before it's too late.
Don't be such a snow flake?
Did you get triggered?

etc etc
Old 21-10-2017, 05:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes, this is Cruisers Forum and non boating or cruising topics in general are not allowed. Plenty of other forums to discuss religion, politics and other contentious subject matter.
The above sounds exactly like "free speech zones" (other forums for such topics) that are on present day campuses. Wow, talking about being closed off and communistic.
On judgement day, all will find out who really got offended.

If God is not welcome here, then neither am I.

When you turn your back on God, he Will turn his back on you.

I thought this forum was a bit more grown up than all the others. It was nice for a bit until some confused agnostic / atheist wants to pick a fight. I did not go a converting fest. Merely mentioned God and His power.

Sigh
Old 21-10-2017, 06:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Since I can't get in and Edit my previous reply to you here:

If religion is not allowed here, then explain Why this is here:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Welcome to a New Group for Christian Sailors

Perhaps you are confused. Or you have a boatload of rule breakers...
My wife found that.
Maybe Belize wants to go in that thread and pick more fights?
Old 21-10-2017, 14:51   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The above sounds exactly like "free speech zones" (other forums for such topics) that are on present day campuses. Wow, talking about being closed off and communistic.
On judgement day, all will find out who really got offended.

If God is not welcome here, then neither am I.

When you turn your back on God, he Will turn his back on you.

I thought this forum was a bit more grown up than all the others. It was nice for a bit until some confused agnostic / atheist wants to pick a fight. I did not go a converting fest. Merely mentioned God and His power.

Sigh
It has nothing to do with whether God is welcome or not and it has nothing to do with free speech. The forum is privately owned and the owners want the forum to focus on cruising and cruising related issues. Since it's their forum then they can make the rules and I see the reason behind the rules. Just the mention of religion or ones believe in a supreme being is not banned per se but that cannot be the main focus of a discussion.

If religion, politics, and other hot button issues become the focus of discussions on a forum then inevitably there will be heated discussions and disputes that will take over the forum and it will no longer be a forum to talk about cruising. To clarify for you, here's two quotes from the rules.

Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.

Cruisers Forum was founded as a medium for the exchange of thoughts, ideas, questions, experiences and knowledge related to cruising aboard sailing and power vessels, and sharing that information in a friendly, non-commercial atmosphere.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi