Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 07:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 Std Univ 25
Hello from Anacortes Washington State

New to the forum but have read a lot of posts over the years. I have a Catalina 30 Std rig Universal Diesel.
I turn 62 in April so starting to look at retiring and cruising the PNW, Canada and Alaska in the near future, just depends on when.
I have had the 30 for a year now, had a 88 30 brand new back in the 80s and finally got one again, I had a 27 for 2 years but it was great for day sailing but a bit small for a 6' man.
Transmission is shot so I bought a new 9.9 Yamaha high thrust, works great, backs the boat up like a dream and will do 6 knts when it's pretty calm. This will make a great backup for single handed cruising when the engine alarm goes off en-route.
Would like to find other cruisers here in similar speed boat, live aboard on a 30', do you have storage or just chuck it all?
Steve
AnacortesSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:03   #2

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Hello from Anacortes Washington State

Hey Steve welcome to CF.

We're just up the road a piece (blaine) and went out last summer for a couple of months in preparation for the Alaska voyage. We're East Coasters so weren't prepared for the beauty of the San Juans and Gulf Is's. We got as far as Johnstone Strait before things started breaking and we turned south again. I look forward to seeing you out there. Have a ball!
Old 26-10-2018, 10:27   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Steve, You are so lucky to sail out of one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Used to visit Anacortes often when we lived in Ferndale. Oysters and Dungeness crab as a bonus. What's not to like? Be aware of the tides in Deception Pass. Hope to read more of your sailing adventures in the future.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 11:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Hey Steve welcome to CF.

We're just up the road a piece (blaine) and went out last summer for a couple of months in preparation for the Alaska voyage. We're East Coasters so weren't prepared for the beauty of the San Juans and Gulf Is's. We got as far as Johnstone Strait before things started breaking and we turned south again. I look forward to seeing you out there. Have a ball!
Thanks for the welcome,
I have friends that have a huge boat that cruise the passage every year, they turned back early this year because they said the smoke was so bad.
I spent 3 days at Sucia, was really fun, the only problem is being alone I don't like the idea of being gone a month but maybe meet more people and it won't seem alone.
I'm just prepping the boat for the eventual break away of boat life for a few years, so you on the water!
Old 26-10-2018, 11:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Hi Steve, You are so lucky to sail out of one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Used to visit Anacortes often when we lived in Ferndale. Oysters and Dungeness crab as a bonus. What's not to like? Be aware of the tides in Deception Pass. Hope to read more of your sailing adventures in the future.
Thanks Bill,
I am lucky, I know Deception Pass well, I live almost in sight of it, attached is my kitchen window, I look at Hope and Whidby island, Deception is just around the corner to the left. Some times I park my boat across the street but it pulled one time because of the current so have to use a neighbors mooring.
I did get about 40 crab this year and 5 Silver Salmon so it was a good year, I moved here 5 years ago from Denver after being there 15 years, originally from So Cal but with family here been coming all my life.
I love Cap Sante Marina, was at Oak Harbor between Elliot Bay (which I loved) where I bought the boat but 550 a month was pricey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150107_081124.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	179642  
Old 27-10-2018, 09:56   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnacortesSteve View Post
Thanks for the welcome,
I have friends that have a huge boat that cruise the passage every year, they turned back early this year because they said the smoke was so bad.
I spent 3 days at Sucia, was really fun, the only problem is being alone I don't like the idea of being gone a month but maybe meet more people and it won't seem alone.
I'm just prepping the boat for the eventual break away of boat life for a few years, so you on the water!
Trust me you won't feel alone. Within 30 minutes of dropping anchor we were always approached by one or more dinghies for conversation, invites for sundowners and just chat in the cockpit. The anchorages we went to weren't crowded so newcomers were a welcome sight rather a PITA. We have more boat cards and phone numbers from this past summer than any other over 25 years. If you see us on Raincoast you're welcome to come by!
Old 27-10-2018, 10:17   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Trust me you won't feel alone. Within 30 minutes of dropping anchor we were always approached by one or more dinghies for conversation, invites for sundowners and just chat in the cockpit.
that does in part depend on when you go ... I just got back from 6 weeks cruising between Sidney and Port Hardy ... and all the way north and until I got back to desolation sound on my way south ... I didn't even see another cruising boat, never shared an anchorage, I even spent a night at Echo Bay marina, and was the only boat there!

of course the wilderness setting is a major part of the attraction of these places ... and it ain't wilderness any more if its crowded.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 13:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

steve welcome to our cruising world.
if you dont have heat on the boat install some .
some of the best cruising is to be had around here in the winter time.

Tags
washing, Washington

« new here | Hi »