Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 08:00   #1

Hello from an ageing Yankee Sailor

Hi,

Been sailing since the JFK administration in New England with a focus on Maine. Have Marshall 22 and a Tanton 43. cat ketch. Long story. Tanton is new (to me) finally got it here just last fall. Will continue to sail the Marshall while prepping the Tanton for extended cruising. The Tanton is an 1982 model - one of the first to have carbon fiber spars. Was neglected alot, but I love a challenge. Had the Marshall for years, It's newer, so in better shape.

I joined to get a sense of how folks feel about the various electronics vendors. Makes for very entertaining reading. Thanks to all!
d8v1dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 13:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from an ageing Yankee Sailor

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, d8v1dl.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 04:51   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi and welcome from Ontario Canada [emoji846]

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1][emoji1063]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:09   #4
cruiser

Hi sir,

Electronics?
I come from a background of generations of electrical and electronic engineers.
Funny that, regarding electronics.
We have a beautiful 24 foot lightweight tapered steel keel trailer sailor. Every year we'd disappear to sea. Just cruising. Every 3 months we'd disappear for 2-4 weeks. Every month we'd cross the gulf here in Adelaide every fortnight or similar.
Gorgeous flat plane, every morning and every half hour we'd routinely obey the weather forecast. Simply plotting single tack legs mostly or double the time allowance if wanting to beat uphill to make Kangaroo Island. KI to Outer Harbour was a day due to the running reach. Easy day, simply cruise pace.

Although from bunk, outside silhouette could be seen, we never risked damage yet flooded he'd float.

When laws changed regarding safety equipment, we halted use and he's sat on a trailer 30 years now, undercover, hard as rock.
Our electronics were basic and adequate. A car stereo connected to mast stay enabling ABC weather to be heard loud and clear at Kangaroo Island. Plus lights. LoL. Battery charger was via outboard yet wed typically use approximately 10 litres per 2-4 week voyage. Batteries were gel Cells from the local oil refinery. 4 had been used to power entire refinery between Black out and emergency Genset periods of 15 seconds. Being gelcel they failed high current dumps but were perfect for just lights and a stereo and at $2 each (recycling price), they gave us some ballast low. Vessel was a 4 man race boat, 3 men and a battery set that sat on keels leading edge balanced.
With lights only use (and every half hour weather reports), we'd engine charge storage every 7-14 days but well before they were down.
Block of ice in a sealed box would last 7-14 days too.

I'll be buying a 35-45 foot boat soonish. Although I may not get away without electronics, common sense keeps a plot and believe that some solar panels and a windmill should be ample. Probability is solo sometimes of multiple days, weeks. Thinking autopilot looks nice and lots of the used vessels have such. That's about 2kW. Seems expensive to me but I like to sleep too.
Following your query too. I'm lost.

How to recharge that during night voyage?
Best I can think of is to sleep during day and utilise windmill, solar.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail