Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 17:01   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hello from a San Francisco Scaredy Cat

The South Channel is a channel in name only! I only use it on very calm days.

Kennau (the OP), if you're still there, have you been able to get any sailing time?

Here's my favorite shot of the Golden Gate Bridge, taken as we were returning from Hawaii in 2008:

So get out there! It can be glorious!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 17:19   #32

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Hello from a San Francisco Scaredy Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennau View Post
Hello Friends: Hello from San Francisco! I'm relatively new to sailing and am planning to sail with my boyfriend from SF to Cabo and back this November-December. I am terrified. Terrified. Tell me it will be okay.
Welcome aboard, Kennau. You've gotten the best advice you could have so far it seems to me. I will just add a little emphasis to some ideas. Face up to the fear and it goes Poof! Get skilled-up with a course of basics, perhaps with an all women class. They're around most places it seems. Takes the man-thing out of the equation, of the lover being teacher dynamic, which can be tough both ways. Which brings up the elephant in the closet of what's what with the boyfriend? How many outside sailing questions would the feeling of being "terrified" be freighted with now?

Go out on the ocean and see if you like what you see. I find it levitates my spirit after being in the over-stimulated buffeting and noise of the city. Make sailing yours, personally & irrespective of others. Anchor out in lovely bays every spare block of time and learn how to live life aboard. It really isn't hard, but alot of it will involve new ways to do stuff.

Tags
san francisco