Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 12:11   #1

hello from a newbie

I Just stumbled across this forum last night looking at cats.
I am new to sailing (though I did grow up in Newport Beach and did a bit of sailing when I was younger).
The hope, dream, plan, is to move aboard and abroad with my wife and son.
Looking for a cat big enough to live on but small enough to handle and will take any advise anyone has.
Plan to move to the Caribbean.
This looks like a great place to get information from.
Thanks for being here looks like a great site.
Scott
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 12:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard Scott!

This is the place for exactly that. Please have a look through all the previous posts on the subject. If you have any questions then please feel free to ask.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 12:27   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Scott!
Old 23-08-2008, 12:28   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

The Caribbean is a great place to look for cats. As well Florida, and good starting spots too. Look at yachtworld.com, and you can get a good feeling for what you like.....BEST WISHES in finding the right vessel..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 15:49   #5

Thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for the welcome.
I work in wireless internet and fell from a second story roof recently while working on a relay which makes me want to rethink my time table to a more life is precious and I am missing out on precious time I could be spending floating.

I am hoping to find a boat in the Caribbean.
Starting from there we will probably end up circumnavigating (because its there) eventually No rush but it seems a likely progression.

I am probably still a way from experiencing my dream but I am planning none the less.
Things, I have noticed, have a way of working out in their own way and time. Plus I just feel it finally getting close.

I have been looking at so many different cats I can't even recall which was what from what I have seen and read I am liking the FP's and Privlages.
I am thinking 36foot is about as small as I want to get into though anyone with live aboard experience who has input it would be welcome.
I guess that is kinda my story.
Old 29-08-2008, 12:00   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of information here about all the things you want to know. I certainly did.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 20:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of information here about all the things you want to know. I certainly did.
Kind regards,
JohnL

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
I am swamped by the amount of info here to be sure.
I am still in the planning stages but I am just itching to get out there.
Old 30-08-2008, 03:00   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Looking for a cat big enough to live on but small enough to handle and will take any advise anyone has.
Plan to move to the Caribbean.
There are lots of advocates for different cats on this forum, but for sensible advise we really need to know a few details:

purchase budget (remember you need to keep some back for essential additions)

Numbers of crew (and any additional transient needs)

priority for speed/carrying capacity
Old 30-08-2008, 11:21   #9

I need to be able to live comfortably aboard as I am giving up land to do this.

My budget is so up in the air I can't even say if I can do this yet.

I had to sell my house at the lake and my property maintenance business to pay for surgeries for my dad.
So we have gone from a net worth of 1.6-1.8 to maybe a couple hundred k right now.
I am doing my level best to get back to a strong position.

I have worked my way into a partnership in a wireless internet and satellite tv & internet business. but nothing of note for pulling cash for a boat and providing residual income as yet.
But I am working on it. My biggest obstacle at present is a fall from a second story roof while installing a relay for the internet. I have been unable to work in a productive manner for 8 weeks and the doc says I should not be trying for another 8 week so I am in a world of hurt right now but I will realize my dream somehow.

I do have some longshot investments left that may pay off big. hopefully one day.
SO long story short budget is up in the air.

I need to be able to carry enough stuff to live and I would like to outrun rather than out gun pirates hehe or at least prove to be more trouble than a bunch of mercs want to bother with.

SO: according to my situation at present I will have to make many concessions so individual wants will be superseded by actual current abilities.
I would like to be able to find good work in the caribe and be able to work my way to an upgrade after just getting out there. But I need to start in something capable of circumnavigating with a famliy of 3 with out promoting insanity just in case.
Our current cruising budget would be around 1100 per month. I am hoping to double that as I am sure to need money for repairs extras and an occasional lavish dinner for my beautiful and deserving albeit crazy enough to go with me , wife.

There now that I have clarified ha ha.

Any one have a free boat they need to get rid of?
How about any one have a boat they need tested for a year to be sure it is seaworthy?
Old 30-08-2008, 12:43   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Cheapest way into this is a ferro boat, but although you get a lot of boat for the money, re-sale can be a problem.

I feel for you, I also had my dreams within reach, and then my world fell down round my ears as well. - Only solution is to pick oneself up, dust of the trousers and grind on hoping for success. Falling off the roof as well probably hasnt helped

I would agree that twice that budget would be more sensible, especially with 3.

There are threads on here about earning money while cruising. Unless you have a trade that be operated while afloat - such as software development. - most all else is really trade with other cruisers, especially in WI where there will be real resentment from islanders at attempts to operate a business. Most trade with other cruisers is going to be more barter than anything else, but there are threads on here that are well worth reading.

Yes there are cheaper boats for sale in west Indies, but the value of your own boat will also be reduced, so if you are trying to trade up, they are no longer such a bargain.
Old 30-08-2008, 13:04   #11

trading up etc

I think rather than straight trading up I would rather maintain the original as a sea worthy ship and hire a crew turning it into a charter business.
At least that way I have a write off if nothing else and hopefully I can produce income.

I am also working out the kinks on a wind generator I should be able to sell for around $500-$1,000 depending on out put and final construction costs. I am hoping to be able to give a great bargain for the money and still pocket some cash when everything is said and done.

The trade I am in now is wireless internet and I am thinking there could be a market in some of the up and coming locations where there is no fiber optic infrastructure. I also intend tohire as many locals as I can as I build this up allowing me
A: the freedom to cruise while being in satphone range to assist as needed

B: A chance to help the local economy in areas where that is a need

C: Hopefully less local resentment and hence a good raport in the local community always good for the soul and business

So these are my hopes for funding a life of dreams at present. BUT I am always looking for new ideas

I feel your pain as well Talbot best of luck in creating your dreams.
I think from what little your attitude comes through in this e medium You will find success.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I was looking for a boat. I printed out everything I liked, and then catagorized them. Eventually I would omit some, and put stars on others. By accident I found my cat. I flew to St. Maarten right away, and the cat was the first boat I looked at in person. After 6 months of research I went completely to the darkside, and bought the cat immediatley.......NO REGRETS!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44   #13

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman Send a message via Skype™ to ckgreenman
Welcome To CF Scott. Growing up in NB must have been nice. I absolutely love Orange County beaches. Growing up my parents had a 25ft Chris Craft at Dana Point Harbor. I live in North Carolina now and am working on OUR retirement plans too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
A: the freedom to cruise while being in satphone range to assist as needed

B: A chance to help the local economy in areas where that is a need

C: Hopefully less local resentment and hence a good raport in the local community always good for the soul and business
Hey if you figure this out please let me know . I'm a Unix System Admin by trade and would love to find a way to work remotely from a boat anchored somewhere in the Caribbean. They say a good Sys Admin can do his job from a golf course, I'd prefer to do it from the cockpit
ckgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50   #14

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman Send a message via Skype™ to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
When I was looking for a boat. I printed out everything I liked, and then catagorized them. Eventually I would omit some, and put stars on others. By accident I found my cat. I flew to St. Maarten right away, and the cat was the first boat I looked at in person. After 6 months of research I went completely to the darkside, and bought the cat immediatley.......NO REGRETS!
Just goes to show that all the research in the world could end up being for naught. I read a post on Sailnet where someone said "You'll know if it's the right one".

I haven't been on enough boats to know which way I'd rather go. Multihull or monohull. needless to say I'm still open to either option
ckgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post

This is exactly What I am hoping for in finding my cat.
I have been researching for a year or so and hope to "know" enough about what I want to spend my money on my cat not airfare looking for my cat. I have been able to do this with my trucks. I just haven't had enough time to choose exactly what it is i will want on a live aboard. My truck was easy I wanted comfort dependability and gas mileage, with the ability to shove a full sheet of plywood in the back and close the tailgate and shell. I knew I wanted a first or second year vortec for dependability and mileage.
I found a 96 gmc pickup with the small vortec motor (5.0) and bought it before the dealership even had it marked in from the auction.
I LOVE my truck I have put 275k on it and it still averages 23 to 25 mpg depending on how I am driving it.

I am hoping to get the same result with my cat I just need to do more research to know what I want.
What features others have and love in their own live aboards and what to avoid for practicality and now that I write this I realize how little I still know at this point.
So ANYONE who know something feel free to barage me with it. So far just trying to poke around in this forum in my spare time.
I have picked up alot of good ideas and confirmed others. thanks to all for the input.
Scott.