Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 11:51   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Welcome To CF Scott. Growing up in NB must have been nice. I absolutely love Orange County beaches. Growing up my parents had a 25ft Chris Craft at Dana Point Harbor. I live in North Carolina now and am working on OUR retirement plans too.

Hey if you figure this out please let me know . I'm a Unix System Admin by trade and would love to find a way to work remotely from a boat anchored somewhere in the Caribbean. They say a good Sys Admin can do his job from a golf course, I'd prefer to do it from the cockpit

I LOVED living in NB back in the day You could walk down to the beach and see schools of garibaldi pluck lobster right out of the water. Abalone were everywhere and life was good.
It has since gotten a bit crowded fro my taste and the water clarity has suffered some. Hence I moved to lake tahoe surfing isn't so good but the skiing is excellent.
We have a cris craft 21 footer now I love it but it is not a liveaboard and I no longer love pouring gas into it. Needs change.

I hope to be able to find a way to work from the cockpit as well, as a wireless network admin.
The hardest part is always finding dependable people who are good and actually want to work for a living AND take pride in their work.
Then being able to pay them enough to show them they are appreciated and still cover your own bills.
I was able to do that in Tahoe but was forced to sell everything for my Dad. still looking for my niche elsewhere and I now know I need to be doing this in the Carribean.
I hope this is from the cockpit and SOON.
If I figure out the details I will be sure to let you know and or bring you on board sounds like you could be a real benefit. Hopfully I can be the same.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22   #17

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman Send a message via Skype™ to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
It has since gotten a bit crowded fro my taste and the water clarity has suffered some. Hence I moved to lake tahoe surfing isn't so good but the skiing is excellent.
Same here. We moved out of Cali about 3 years ago now. We now live in North Carolina on Lake Norman. I never made it to Tahoe but I always loved Mojave.

Quote:
We have a cris craft 21 footer now I love it but it is not a liveaboard and I no longer love pouring gas into it. Needs change.
Getting sick or pouring gas into our Mariah open bow. Last check fuel on the lake was 2.50/half gallon (old pumps).

Quote:
I was able to do that in Tahoe but was forced to sell everything for my Dad. still looking for my niche elsewhere and I now know I need to be doing this in the Carribean.
I hope this is from the cockpit and SOON.
If I figure out the details I will be sure to let you know and or bring you on board sounds like you could be a real benefit. Hopfully I can be the same.

Sorry to hear about the set back. Unfortunately I think we're suffering from less than optimal real estate decisions. We bit off more than we can chew. As a result we're struggling to stay afloat (no pun intended).

We'll both make it, I'm sure.
ckgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:01   #18

We'll both make it, I'm sure.[/quote]

I am certain
I just hope it happens FAST
not that I'm in a rush
Old 06-09-2008, 21:14   #19

Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman Send a message via Skype™ to ckgreenman
Lol I know the feeling.
Old 06-09-2008, 21:40   #20

Pray for me on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Lol I know the feeling.

Wow I just got an e-mail from a guy who is working on a new cat with an alternative drive system that is still classified but what little I know sounds to be right up my alley so to speak.
I now have a dream of going to work with this company getting out of the internet deal for now and working on new technologies in a start up yacht company!
This could turn into a career I could Really enjoy and move to the Caribbean with at some point. they say do what you love.
I just have never really been able to make money out of what I love this could be it!
OK I am a bit over excited but this could be just what I have wanted my entire life!
I could get this going and develop an internet network in the Caribbean hiring a bunch of locals sharing the wealth in the local community and I just might be set.
Well at least I have a dream
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16   #21

Wow. Sounds like a pretty cool gig. I hope it works out. Just remember, don't let your emotions force you to make a bad decision. If you take the plunge make sure it's what you want and you have thought it through.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23   #22

Good advice I am just so into getting this started.
My wife and I both are over anxious to start the new phase of our lives. I am calming down after sleeping on it.
I am still thinking if I could get in with a new yacht builder and begin living aboard I would be half way there. As I said before Not that I'm in a rush.
Old 07-09-2008, 16:15   #23

That's cool. Hey if it's a good deal then I say go for it. There is another thing to think of and that's whether you AND your wife are ready for living aboard. We've never done it but we HAVE lived a month in a 35 ft RV (no pop outs) along with 3 dogs and 3 cats. Not really the same thing but pretty close to the same amount of living space. It does make you look at things a different way
Old 07-09-2008, 23:32   #24

You raise a good pint (typo but I am leaving it).
I have considered this more than once.
As I said before surgeries for my father cost us our big house at the lake and we are currently in a small 2 bedroom cabin with 5 people so I understand being cramped.
For me the big concern is you can't really just go outside or take a walk at sea.
My hope / plan is we will be close to land often enough to break out the dingy and go explore. and if we are in port then the world is our oyster.
We will be leaving my daughter and her fiance here so we will be less crowded perhaps.
So I have been looking at this house as training in that regard.
OR I could be out of my mind.
Probably a coin toss there and all bets are off
Old 08-09-2008, 05:38   #25

Well one drawback about us in the RV was you can't really go topside and lounge on deck either. Although I guess we sorta did sit just outside on lawn chairs so that's probably close enough.

I'm with you though. I think when we finally take the plunge we'll invest in a small condo somewhere for a land based home so that we still have a mailing address. Plus that will give us a place to store things we don't need on the boat at the time.