Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2008, 23:47   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello Forum Members

Hi.

My name is Joe. I am from Cape Elizabeth, Maine, but am currently serving in the U.S. Peace Corps in Zambia. My project here is called L.I.F.E. (Linking Income Food and Environment). I spent my first year in the village, and am now living just south of the capital city. The country of Zambia just voted in a presidential by-election yesterday, so we are waiting for the results with crossed fingers. A lot will change in the next few days.

I was recently up in Zanzibar. Wow, what a place to sail. The local fishing boats are sailboats called "Dhows". I watched some of the local villagers building them. It is amazing how similar boat building techniques are from Africa all the way back to Maine.

Last week my building set up wireless internet, which is great. I have been getting back into reading current news and keeping in touch with people over email.

I joined this forum to gain knowledge about live on board boats. When I return to the States in August, I will be looking to live on a boat. I will probably be living in Maine or New Hampshire. I am primarily searching for the best model of boat to both live on and sail. I can see there are already many posts pertaining to this question, so I will read before I ask.

I attended Massachusetts Maritime Academy from 2000-2004, and majored in Marine Safety and Environmental Protection. It was a good four years, but very challenging at times. Some of the highlights of my time there include crossing the Panama Canal in 2003 and Shellbacking with the whole ship of 500 students plus staff. We sailed up to New Orleans in 2000 which was also great. Seeing the Mississippi from the ship was amazing. I was the Environmental Operations Officer my senior year (before drinking too much one night which led to me being demoted).

My life long hobbies include creative writing, visual art, sea kayaking, sailing, hiking, volunteer work, and general travel (but on a budget). I also enjoy good whiskey and good beer.

I have already been reading many, many posts, and can see how much knowledge there is on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help. Hopefully I will find some sailing friends too.

Take care, enjoy the pleasures of the developed world for me!

-Joe
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 23:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard Joe.
Thanks for helping.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 00:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome to CF Joe and great work with the Peace Corps.

Hope you find that liveabord dream. In the meantime post some pics af Zambia sailing - I would be fascinated.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 13:10   #4

Boat: Chaparral 278; Blue Merle
Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyFist278
Joe/Casco Bay, ahoy!

I've posted your message above on Casco Bay Boaters Blog

I'm a fellow Mainah with a blog for boaters in Casco Bay. We'd love to have you as am international correspondent! Boating season just ended here in New England, so we need some adventures from away.

Please sign up and join the blog or subscribe to the RSS and keep current with the local goings-on. Perhaps it'll help ease some homesickness.

Please keep us posted on your time abroad. Send your dispatches to me thru the Contact link in the site, or directly to cascobayboaters@live.com

Take care...
MonkeyFist
MonkeyFist278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Joe,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here on the forum.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 13:04   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
I also enjoy good whiskey and good beer

Your a good egg in my book then

Welcome Aboard
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:41   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Joe,
Welcome to the site and well done on the role in Africa. Hope you achieve your goal and look forward to hearing more from you on the way.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 05-11-2008, 13:31   #8

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Welcome! And hey, post some pics of sailing in Zanzibar, I am there are none here!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Posted Pictures

I got around to uploading some fairly random pictures if anyone is still interested in perusing them. I will be adding more over the next nine months to the "Africa" album.

Exranger: There are a few in the collection from Zanzibar.
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote